7 Best Heatmap Plugins and Services for WordPress in 2018
Heatmaps are one of the most powerful ways to gain deep insight into the behavior of your visitors, and in turn, optimize your site for various goals, whether it’s user retention, conversion optimization, or key UI improvements.
WordPress is one of the most popular CMS in recent time. Almost every website was built using WordPress. With an increase in the use of WordPress website, there are some of the finest WordPress hosting providers who provide the best services.
In this post, I’ll go over my favorite heatmap plugins and services for WordPress (and any site for that matter) you should check out in 2018 to improve your site’s user experience and revenue.
Crazyegg is perhaps the well known heatmaps platform out there, having debuted in 2006 and still running strong. I’ve used this service on a few of my sites, and credit it for dramatically improving the user experience on all of them. Through the CrazyEgg dashboard, many types of reports are available to thoroughly understand how your visitors interact with your site.
Start with the Snapshots reports, which as their name suggests gives you a snapshot view of how users are interacting with your site. You can then use this data to extrapolate and improve the user experience. Discover which areas of a page users are clicking on the most with heatmaps, how often and far down they scroll with Scrollmaps, and additional details of these people such as country, which site they were referred from etc with Confetti Reports.
Perhaps the most powerful reports in CrazyEgg are the live user recordings. It takes entire recordings of users from the moment they enter your site to exiting, showing you precisely how they navigate your site, and where they lose interest and leave.
And finally, Crazy Egg A/B tests lets you set up variations of key sections on your page you wish to pit against to see which variation converts better with ease.
- Basic Plan: $29/mon 20,000 visits a month
- Standard Plan: $49/mon 50,000 visits a month
- Plus Plan: $79/mon for 100,000 visits a month
- Pro Plan: $189/mon for 250,000 visits a month
- Extremely easy to use for WordPress users, thanks to the CrazyEgg plugin.
- The data visualizations reports are phenomenal and well organized in the dashboard.
- Cannot create white label reports
- Lacks filtering capabilities and not convenient for dynamic pages.
Mouse flow is another online analytic tool that tracks mouse movement, clicks and scroll behaviour on your website. MouseFlow puts a heavy emphasis on live recordings, plus the ability to track your funnels. The heatmap of MouseFlow is accurate and shows summarized data of where people are clicking and scrolling. It also supports custom data range and A/B or split test.
Funnels tracking and form analytics are powerful tools you can use to increase conversion of your site. Funnel shows page to page activity and analyzes key journeys and processes of users from different traffic sources. Form analytics measures the user interaction with forms like drop off, refill, blank submission and errors. You can also use Mouseflow to get direct feedback from visitors by creating surveys and custom interactions.
- Starter Plan: $29/month for a single website and 10000 pageviews
- Growth Plan: $99/month for 3 website and 50,000 pageviews
- Pro Plan: $399/month for 10 website and 500,000 pageviews..
- The tool is straightforward to use. There is almost no learning curve.
- They support recording even for the websites hosted in iframe.
- Includes unique features such as funnels tracking and user feedback module. Form Analytics is extremely useful to optimizing form UI and boosting opt in rates on your site.
- The auto tag feature can filter view sessions, letting you skip through select recordings and view only the ones that are important to you.
- Expensive for popular sites, at $399/mon for 500k visits monthly.
- The heatmap layout can be improved.
Inspectlet is another option for session recording and heat map services. They record videos of every single visitor showing you every mouse movement, scroll, click and keypress on your site. This powerful tool can save lots of guesswork by helping you discover where your customers are getting confused and what’s grabbing their attention.
You can use conversion funnel to track down where the customers are getting lost. Their broad session filtering and tags make the analysis task much simpler by giving you only the sessions you are interested in. Inspectlet hooks up nicely with WordPress with their official plugin. Their eye tracking heat map, click heat map and scroll heatmap together make Inspectlet one of the most powerful live recording tool available.
- Free Plan: $0 for single website and 1000 recorded sessions per month
- Micro Plan: $39/month for 1 website and 5000 recorded sessions per month
- Start up plan: $79 per month for 3 website and 25000 recorded sessions per month
- Growth plan: $149 per month for 10 website and 50000 recorded sessions per month
- Accelerate plan: $299 per month for 20 website and 125,000 recorded sessions per month.
- Enterprise Plan: $499 per month for 40 websites and 250,000 recorded sessions per month.
- Free service up to 1000 recorded sessions per month.
- Track users IP address and perform targeted recording.
- Searching can be little slower if there are many sessions.
- The page view is used in the billing system. It counts the Pageview even from excluded IPs.
Heatmap is a great option if you are looking for the free solution to get started with. The free plan is good for up to 1 million pageviews per month and 5 pages on your site. Their smart heatmap distinguishes between dynamic elements such as menus, forms and sliders. Clicks on videos such as Youtube is also properly tracked.
- Free plan: Completely free up to 1 million page view per month and up to 5 webpages.
- Premium Plan: $100/month up to 100 millions of page view per month. It is for a single site with no barrier in number of web pages..
- Enterprise Plan: The price depends on the number and size of your website.
- It is lightweight and easy to install and rarely hampers your page load speed.
- Free plan available.
- Compatible with symbolic links if you have lots of websites
- The reports are delivered directly on your website via a Chrome plugin, instead of in a separate reporting interface.
- Lacks some advanced features like funnel and feedback module that other tools offer.
- Segmenting data in Heatmap.me according to device or the source is not possible.
Hotjar is a popular heatmap tool that offers a wide range of features at a decent price. They also have a free plan for websites with less than 2000 pageview per day. Although the free plan is nowhere near the 1 million page views per month offered by heatmap.me, it is more feature rich. Hotjar provides all of the features found in any other heatmap tool such as funnel, analytics, recordings polling and surveys.
The Heatmap feature provides click, move and scroll data. Their recording has extensive search ability and tag features. The conversion funnel and form analysis are useful for increasing your conversions by decreasing the drop off rate. Polls and incoming feedback can be used to get direct feedback from users.
- Basic Plan: The basic plan is free up to 2,000 page views / day
- Plus Plan: $29 for 10,000 page views / month
- Business Plan and Agency Plan: The price of these plans vary as the page views increase.
- Interface is polished and user-friendly.
- Free version includes live recordings, unlike heatmap.me
- Cannot record what happens inside an iframe.
- Survey designs are unattractive IMO.
6. Lucky orange
Lucky orange is a powerful heatmap service with an unique twist- it also offers a live chat feature you can implement on your site to enable two way communication.
Chat aside, Lucky Orange has all the features any good heatmap service should provide. The dynamic heatmap can be segmented by location, browser, dates and mobile users. Live user recordings show you how users are interacting with your site in real time. Other feature includes Conversion funnels, form analysis and polls, all of which work even on members and restricted pages with ease.
- Starter: $10 per month for 1 website and 25000 pageviews
- Small Business: $20 per month for 3 websites and 60,000 page views
- Medium : $50 per month for 8 website and 200,000 page views
- Large: $100 per month for 16 websites and 500,000 page views.
- Their pricing plans are affordable and decent. Except for starter plan all other plans allow multiple websites use.
- Integrate a chat system on your website to get feedback from your visitors. This is unique and hardly found in any other heatmap services.
- Lucky orange lack apps in android and iPhone.
ClickTale is an enterprise scale website analytics tool that gives you insights to your customer. The key features of the service are heat maps, analytics integrations, sessions replay, reporting and smart phone app. The conversion analytics and drop reports are useful and serve the purpose really well. ClickTale provides testing services as well such as multivariate testing and A/B testing.
Surprisingly Clicktale has not listed their pricing information on their website. You will have to contact them directly to get more information about their pricing and plans.
- Powerful session recording and in-depth heat analysis.
- ClickTale can be integrated with other analytic tools like Google Analytics, Google tag manager and Optimizely.
Author Credits: This is a guest blog post was written by Jon Muller, founder of Ergonomic Trends where he blogs about office productivity and ergonomics. See the 6 steps to create a more ergonomic workspace.