Do you have the curiosity to know about the Best Camera For Bird Photography in 2022? 🤔 This article could help you in a better way.
Without any further delay let’s find out. 👓
Birding or bird watching as it is sometimes referred to involves the acts of watching birds, studying them, and taking vital notes regarding their behaviors. Birders do this usually from a vantage point or from a viewing position that is far away from the birds.
Bird watchers have devised a lot of ways to watch birds over the years, including the use of telescopes, and binoculars. In some instances, people who couldn’t afford normal devices have resorted to just observing these birds from close range through their normal eyes.
We cannot but say bird watching started as a form of leisure and recreational activity. In recent years, however, bird watching has gone beyond that as we now have a myriad of people who take bird watching as a profession.
As a matter of fact, professional bird watching could earn millions of dollars annually from their efforts. As a result of this, birders have taken to newer, better, and more advanced devices to aid their bird-watching activities.
One of the new devices, which has gone to be the best option for birding in recent years, is the digital camera.
The digital camera gives a lot of options to the birders as they won’t just watch these birds only, but they can also take pictures, record videos, and save these files for future studies. This is why nearly everyone involved in birding literally gets a digital camera before going to the field these days.
As a birder who wants to get the best out of the experience while out there on the field, it is becoming more important as each day passes that a camera is a must.
While this is true, it is also important to know that not all cameras out there would help you to get the best out of bird watching.
Bird watching is different from a lot of activities, and there are certain cameras that are suited to this activity. As such, we have come up with the list of the top cameras that would help you in getting the best out of your birding experience; either you are a top professional or an amateur who is just doing this for the fun of it.
The cameras listed in this review have been well researched and they come with positive ratings from professional birders. Check them out below.
Best Camera For Bird Photography: Our Top Picks
1. Sony A9 Full-Frame Mirrorless Lens Camera
The Sony A9 Full Frame digital camera tops our list of the best cameras available in the market you can use for birding. This camera is a combination of every good thing you would find in a Sony camera.
It is mirrorless and allows you to use a wide range of options when it comes to lenses. At a price of approximately $3,500, this camera is not cheap, but it more than makes up for the price going by the amazing features you would get to enjoy should you get one.
Why is it such a good camera for birding? 🤔 Firstly, this camera is capable of shooting up to 20 frames per second (20fps), a feature that is needed for birding.
We all know that you need to get a lot of angles and a lot of shots when out there on the field since you don’t have control over what you are focusing on. That is why the 20fps rate would be very welcome news to professional and amateur birders.
Also, you have a top autofocus function which is needed for birding at all times. Since you have no control over the movement of these birds, it is no news that they would tend to move from time to time.
You don’t want the movement of the bird you are tracking to affect the quality of the picture you are taking, and this is exactly what autofocus does for you. It helps you to keep the focus on the object you are tracking, even when it’s on the move.
The shutter sound is also non-existent, a feature that would help you to move discreetly and take all the amazing pictures you want. What else?
This camera also comes with a viewfinder, and it is also designed to be sleek, sturdy, lightweight, and portable for easy mobility on the field.
Below are some of the Pros and Cons of the Sony A9 Full-Frame Mirrorless Lens Camera that earned it a spot in our list of Best Camera For Bird Photography to get in 2022.
- This camera is built to take up to 20 pictures in a second.
- This camera comes with a sleek, sturdy, and lightweight design.
- This camera comes with protection against moisture and dust which would aid its protection on the field.
- This camera comes with a very powerful autofocus feature that helps you to maintain your focus on moving birds.
- This camera comes with a 24.2 megapixels sensor, which aids in taking truly stunning and high-definition pictures.
- The camera can function properly with a wide variety of lenses.
- The camera is quite expensive.
- The camera doesn’t come with a lens.
2. Canon EOS 7D Mark II DSLR Camera
If you are a bird watcher who is considering a camera that would go a long way in helping you get the best out of your activities at an affordable rate, then, the Canon EOS 7D Mark II DSLR Cameras should be one of the first options to consider.
This camera currently goes for $1,064, an amount that represents very good value for money considering what you stand to get from this camera.
With this camera, you can shoot up to 10 frames per second at a very high speed, a feature that makes sure you get as many takes as possible every time you track a bird.
You also have a 65 point autofocus system that helps you to properly track all the birds in focus, even when they are on the move. This camera shoots in full HD resolution and you also get a very effective image finder.
The manufacturers of this camera have developed it to be very lightweight and portable, a feature that has endeared it to a lot of birders.
This means you can easily carry it along with you to everywhere you are headed on the field without feeling any form of burden or strain.
Below are some of the Pros and Cons of the Canon EOS 7D Mark II DSLR Camera that earned it a spot in our list of Best Camera For Bird Photography to get in 2022.
- This camera is quite affordable.
- The camera comes with a powerful autofocus system that ensures you have the objects you are tracking in view at all times.
- The camera is lightweight and portable.
- This camera shoots 10 frames per second at a stunning speed.
- It shoots in full HD resolution.
- The battery of this camera is not top-notch.
- This camera doesn’t shoot in 4k resolution.
- This camera doesn’t come with a full-size sensor.
3. Nikon D5 DSLR Digital Camera
The Nikon D5 DSLR Digital Camera is a stupendously built camera for only the high net worth individuals. This camera is arguably one of the best cameras anywhere in the world as it comes with everything that makes a camera great.
At a price of approximately $5,500, it is expensive. In fact, if you are not a top-level professional in birding, we don’t think there is any basis for you to invest in this camera as it is only made for top-level professionals. What makes this camera so special? 🤔
Firstly, you should know that this camera is one of the best in the world in terms of low light performance, and this is why the big boys love it.
We all know that there is no time to set up light as in the case of filming when birding, as that alone would send a wrong signal to the birds you intend to watch.
As such, you need a camera that comes with enough lighting to do well in whatever circumstance. Whether you are birding in the evening or very early in the morning when natural light is not available, this camera would still see you through and give you all-around top-quality pictures due to its low light performance.
Another reason this camera is so great for birding is its fast shooting speed. As a matter of fact, the D5 camera can shoot 200 frames per second. Amazing right? That’s not all as it also comes with a 20.8 megapixels sensor and shoots in 4k ultra-high definition.
Another important feature that makes it perfect for birding is the incredible 153 autofocus points that come with this camera which means you can never miss out on any image regardless of the pace or speed.
Below are some of the Pros and Cons of the Nikon D5 DSLR Digital Camera that earned it a spot in our list of Best Camera For Bird Photography to get in 2022.
- This camera comes with 153 points autofocus points which keep everything in focus no matter how fast the pace at which the object is moving.
- This camera shoots in 4k ultra-high definition.
- The camera comes with a 20.8 megapixels sensor which produces stunning visual quality.
- The camera is one of the best in the world in terms of low-light performance.
- The camera comes with a fast shooting speed and it can shoot 200 frames per second.
- The camera is built to be sturdy which makes it very durable.
- At a price of about $5,500, this camera is expensive and not easily available to everyone.
- This camera is built to be a little bit heavy.
4. Canon EOS 1DX Mark II DSLR Camera
The Canon EOS 1DX Mark II DSLR Camera remains one of the best offerings from the Canon brand to date. With this camera, you have been enamored with a device that can create real magic and break boundaries with stunning visual images detailed footage.
Just like the previous entry, this camera is also expensive, as it goes for about $5,500 in the current market. This is why it is only recommended to top-class professionals in bird watching or anyone who could afford that amount.
One thing you could be sure of is the fact that you would most definitely get your money’s worth if you can afford this truly stunning camera. Why is it such a good option for birding? The first thing you should know is, this camera shoots very fast.
It shoots about 60 fps in smooth autofocus and it can shoot up to 16 frames per second in 4k resolution, a feature that makes it one of the fastest in the market in terms of shooting speed.
The camera also comes with a 61 point autofocus system which helps you to put every object in focus at all times. You also get a 20.2 megapixels sensor that enhances stunning image quality.
Lastly, you should also know that this camera is built to perform excellently under low light conditions. As a matter of fact, it would give you the desired quality at all times regardless of the light conditions of your present location.
Below are some of the Pros and Cons of the Canon EOS 1DX Mark II DSLR Camera that earned it a spot in our list of Best Camera For Bird Photography to get in 2022.
- This camera comes with a very fast shooting speed of around 16 frames per second when shooting in 4k resolution and up to 60fps in normal conditions.
- This camera can do well under low light performance, which makes it a great option for birding.
- The camera comes with a 61 points autofocus system that keeps objects in focus regardless of the speed of movement.
- This camera shoots in 4k resolution.
- This camera comes with a 20.2 megapixels sensor.
- This camera is sturdily built which makes it quite heavy.
- At a price of around $5,500, this camera is expensive and can only be accessed by a few birders.
At the time of our research on “Best Camera For Bird Photography”, we found a video about “10 Wildlife Photography Tips You Can’t-Miss” which is worth watching.
5. Nikon D500 DX-Format Digital Camera
For birders who are looking for a top-quality camera at an affordable price, the Nikon D500 DX-Format Digital Camera readily comes to mind.
This camera cannot compete with the last two entries in terms of price since it comes in at a rather modest price of $1,496, but it can compete favorably with most of these other options in many areas, especially for what is required in a birding camera.
This camera is built to be lightweight, which is a delight to birders and it also shoots in 4k ultra HD resolution.
Another top feature that would delight birders is the fact that this camera performs well in low-light situations, and it comes with remarkable ISO capabilities.
Regardless of its lightweight, this camera is still built to be tough and durable, and you can trust it to serve you well out there on the field in the face of tough and adverse conditions.
This camera also comes with a 20.9 megapixels sensor and it also comes with a remarkable viewfinder. What else should you know? Yes, this camera comes with 153 autofocus points which helps you put every object in focus, and it is also capable of shooting up to 10 frames per second.
Below are some of the Pros and Cons of the Nikon D500 DX-Format Digital Camera that earned it a spot in our list of Best Camera For Bird Photography to get in 2022.
- This camera is built to be portable and lightweight, but it is also tough and durable.
- This camera comes with 153 autofocus points.
- The camera also boasts of fast shooting speed, with the capability of shooting 10 frames per second.
- At a price of just $1,496, this is one of the most affordable cameras out there for excellent birding activities.
- This camera is also designed to function properly under low light situations.
- The battery of this camera may require a little more to be desired.
- The camera doesn’t come with any lens.
6. Sony Cyber-Shot RX10 IV Digital Camera
The Sony Cyber-Shot RX10 IV Digital Camera is a camera that every serious birder should consider going for. We are confident of telling you that you definitely can’t go wrong with this camera as it comes with a lot of features that are truly suitable for birding.
Where do we start? Okay, this camera comes with a 25x optical zoom lens that would be very helpful in birding. We all are aware that birders need to set up a little bit far away from the birds they intend to watch.
With this camera, that just became a lot easier as you would still be able to see the birds clearly no matter how far you are standing with the help of the optical zoom, and you can be sure that the images would be clear and detailed without no traces of grain or blur.
Shooting speed is really fast with this camera as you can shoot up to 24 frames per second. You also get an amazing autofocus system of 315 points, which is insanely brilliant.
This camera shoots in 4k ultra high definition resolution and it does well in low light situations. At a price of just about $1,600, it is fairly affordable, and we recommend this to all birders regardless of experience and expertise. It definitely would be worth your investment.
Below are some of the Pros and Cons of the Sony Cyber-Shot RX10 IV Digital Camera that earned it a spot in our list of Best Camera For Bird Photography to get in 2022.
- This camera comes with an autofocus point of 315 points which makes it arguably one of the best in the world in that category.
- The camera shoots in 4k ultra high definition resolution.
- This camera comes with a 25x optical zoom that allows you to watch birds from a far distance without losing any details.
- At a price of $1,600, this camera is fairly affordable to birders.
- This camera comes with a fast shooting speed, boasting of shooting 24 frames per second.
- The camera comes with a 20.1 megapixels sensor for quality visual performance.
- The image stabilization of the camera is not top-notch, which means you’d require a tripod to get stable images.
7. Nikon D5300 Digital SLR Camera
We would be rounding up our list with the very affordable but equally impressive Nikon D5300 Digital SLR Camera.
This camera is the most affordable on our list at a price of just $499, and we are recommending it to all birders who are looking for something very affordable but still good enough to take care of their birding needs.
With this camera, you have a 24.2 megapixels sensor which is good enough to give you the super quality visual standard you require.
Your expenses too would be reduced from the beginning as the camera comes with one 18 – 55mm zoom lens for wide and medium angle shots.
This camera is sleek, compact, lightweight but still rugged. All of these features together make it a very good option for a camera to be used on the field for birding. It also shoots in full high definition resolution with crystal clear and detailed image quality.
You also get a modest 39 point autofocus system that is still quite effective in tracking moving objects. Not the best in terms of fast shooting speed, but it is still capable of shooting up to 5 frames per second in HD.
Below are some of the Pros and Cons of the Nikon D5300 Digital SLR Camera that earned it a spot in our list of Best Camera For Bird Photography to get in 2022.
- This camera is built to be sleek, compact, lightweight, but also sturdy, tough, and durable.
- The battery life is actually very impressive.
- At a price of just $499, this camera is very affordable.
- This camera comes with an impressive 24.2 megapixels sensor.
- The camera also comes with a zoom lens.
- This camera doesn’t do very well in low-light conditions.
- The camera doesn’t shoot in 4k resolution.
Best Camera For Bird Photography: What To Consider
There are a lot of cameras out there, but not all of them can be used for birding. If you are in the market for a camera for birding, we have provided you with some important features to look out for in order to make the right buying decision. Check them below.
- Autofocus system.
- Weight and size of the camera.
- Low light performance.
- Shooting speed.
- Compatibility with lenses.
Birding is different from filmmaking and most of the other things a camera s used for, and this means a camera that works very well for other purposes might not be great for birding regardless of the positive reviews you’ve heard about such a camera(s).
The cameras we have listed for you above are very suitable for birding and we assure you that any of the options you pick would serve your birding needs very well.