This is a complete buyer’s guide to Best Camera For Snorkeling in 2022. 🤴
Let me clear the most important point:
We bought the 15 Camera For Snorkeling in the market and reviewed them based on the camera size, battery life, warranty, and extra add-on features.
And, finally came to 7 Of The Best Camera For Snorkeling to our readers. 📗
So without further ado, Let’s dive right in. 🎭
As a snorkeler, you know a lot to explore and discover, and sometimes you need the perfect camera to take that underwater experience with you.
If you enjoy snorkeling, chances are that you want to get a camera that portrays the things you love about the water in a way that shows how beautiful they are.
Getting the best snorkeling camera is important because while you want something that photographs greatly, you also want it to be convenient and worth spending.
Among so many good cameras for underwater activities, how do you know which one best fits your snorkeling activity?
Before you hurry to get the first camera you see, you should know a few things about buying the right camera for snorkeling, some of which are listed and explained further below in this article.
Also, a few tested and trusted cameras will capture your snorkeling adventures perfectly, and this article includes the best ten cameras for snorkeling out there.
So the next time you pack up your gear to snorkeling, be sure you have the right camera to take along with you. And you will have so many underwater photographs to show off.
Best Camera For Snorkeling – Our Top Picks👌
1. Nikon COOLPIX AW130 Camera
Nikon is a well-known brand when it comes to camera production and one you can trust to get a good quality camera that can serve your needs. It is, therefore, no surprise that Nikon is featured on this list.
The Coolpix AW130 is a compact camera. Using it and carrying it around with your gear is highly comfortable and is highly reputed as one of the best underwater cameras by Nikon.
In addition to coming in handy when you need to go snorkeling, be sure that buying the AW130 will not drill a hole in your pocket, which begs one to wonder why it is often overlooked (probably because more attention is given to the W300).
However, for those who know what they are looking for, this Nikon sAW130 is always a delightful find for snorkelers.
- Manufactured by Nikon
- It is a compact waterproof camera
- The waterproof feature works with up to 100ft dive
- Inbuilt anti-freeze and shockproof features
- Inbuilt Wi-Fi, compass, and GPS features
- 16MP camera image quality
- Up to 5fps with photographs
- 1080p video quality
- The ability to capture fast aquatic animals with five pictures in a second makes it a perfect action camera.
- The camera is lightweight since it is compact and easy to pair up with any gear.
- The available Wi-Fi, GPS, and compass features of the camera are essential and are not features you find anywhere.
- It is made by Nikon, a brand known for good-quality cameras
- High-quality videos and imaging with the 1080p and 16MP
- You can use it when you dive up to 100ft
- Uploading your pictures is easy and fast because of the connectivity
- Good battery quality
- It may be considered pricey
Notes:- The Nikon AW130 is one of the best by Nikon for diving and one of the best extra features in this best camera for snorkeling list.
It is a good bet if you want to get down with something a little more extra on the features.
2. Fujifilm FinePix XP 80 Camera
If you need a camera that supports your snorkeling hobby without being too expensive, the Fujifilm Finepix XP 80 is just on this list.
Although it was priced way higher at the initial phase of its release, the XP80 soon slashed its price, making customers grateful for such a cheap option offering so much.
If you want a quality, compact, and action camera to take with you as a snorkeler, you should seriously consider this one.
- Manufactured by the Fujifilm brand
- It has 14MP quality images
- You get to zoom up to five times.
- It has anti-shock and anti-freeze features
- It has an inbuilt GPS function
- It is an action camera
- It has a speed of 0.8 fps
- Can shoot 720 HD videos
- The camera has an LCD touchscreen
- This compact camera is relatively cheap after the drop in price
- The camera is lightweight, making it easy to carry around.
- The additional GPS feature is sought out.
- The touchscreen makes operation a little bit easier
- It is fit for outdoor weather because of the shock and freeze resistant
- You can get a good enough video quality for personal usage.
- The camera’s body does not have enough grip to support underwater usage.
- Average image quality compared to other top ones.
- When in use, the GPS makes the battery run time reduced drastically
Notes:- If you can get an extra battery and have a holding case for this camera, it is a decent option for taking private pictures. Don’t expect to be on the news or a documentary with it.
At the time of our research on “best action video camera for snorkeling”, we found a video about “If You See This While Swimming, Get Out Of the Water Right Away!” which is too good to watch.
3. CanonPowerShot D30 Waterproof Digital Camera
Canon is arguably the beast of the digital camera universe; with top quality and durability as its selling point, Canon has, times and times again, put out cameras that as impressed photographers a great deal.
The D30 is a waterproof digital camera that snorkelers would love because of its performance and reliability. You can be sure that with this camera, you will not be wasting any money you spend on it because of its durability.
Not like anyone is going to be using it to film a fight, but the Canon D30 is known to withstand rough handling.
- The Canon brand manufactures it
- It is waterproof and works with an 87ft dive into the water
- The anti-weather feature includes being temperature resistant and dustproof.
- Anti-shock features increase durability.
- It has 12MP for images.
- It has an inbuilt noise reduction feature for the microphone
- It zooms up to five times with a maximum focal length of 1200mm
- It can shoot up to 30fps if the video quality is reduced to 720p
- It can shoot 1080p HD videos
- Inbuilt GPS and smart auto
- High-quality images and videos will be taken with this camera
- It is a compact action camera
- You don’t feel any inconvenience attaching it to your gear and carrying it around because of the lightweight.
- It is built well-suited for the outdoors.
- Good depth allowable for the waterproof feature
- It has interesting extra features
- It is highly durable
- the noise reduction in the microphone comes in handy when you take a video
- when compared with the AW130, it has lower depth allowing for the waterproof function
Notes:- the Camon D30 will give you good quality, clear images from your snorkeling, and you will always appreciate it every time you use it.
4. Nikon W300
More popularly bought than the AW130 is this Nikon W300, even though it is a more expensive option. It is easy to wonder why this is more popular despite the price, but the easy answer is that it is worth it.
The Nikon W300 is arguably the best for snorkeling, only competing with the next camera (Olympus TG-5) in this post.
With a mix of interesting features, top-quality image results, and durability, the W300 is a favorite for snorkelers wishing to have their memories captured in high definition.
- The Nikon brand manufactures the camera
- The ISO range of the Nikon W300 is 125 to 6400
- Inbuilt image editing option
- It has twenty different modes of action
- Anti-weather features include the 14oF antifreeze feature ad dustproof
- It is rigid and can very well survive a fall from a 7.9ft height
- It has inbuilt GPS, Wi-Fi, and snap bridge
- Long runtime for the battery with up to 280 images.
Below are some of the Pros and Cons of The Nikon W300 Camera that earned it a spot in our list of Best Camera For Snorkeling to get in 2022.
- It is made from a reliable and reputable brand.
- The camera is rigid and built to be durable in the hands of both careful and rough users alike.
- It can withstand up to 100ft dive, which gives snorkelers more chances to explore
- The compact camera is lightweight.
- It is an action camera and can capture things that happen very fast
- Image and video quality are impressive
- The camera works well with different light settings
- Additional settings make it all the more interesting
- It is built for underwater usage.
- It is viewed as expensive, especially as it is not very different from the AW130
Notes:- This camera’s specs can make you excited about going on your next snorkeling adventure; however, if it is an expensive option, you should try the AW130, as the specs discussed are not very different. However, the W300 is better for action photographs and with different light conditions.
5. Olympus TG-5
As one of the best underwater cameras out there, the Olympus TG-5 is a go-to choice for many because of its ability to capture fast-happening events.
This camera is often viewed as suitable for professionals and private snorkelers, so if you get your hands on anyone, you know you are handling a total baby.
With interesting specs and features built to withstand water sports weather conditions, have a filled time adventuring underwater and coming up with interesting photos and videos.
- The Olympus brand manufactures it
- It is an underwater sports camera
- 12mp image quality
- It takes 4K video quality at 30fps
- The ISO range of the Olympus TG-5 camera is 100 to 12800
- It has an inbuilt memory of 55MB
- Its underwater features work with up to 50ft dive
- It uses an F2.0 high-speed lens
- With images, you get 20fps
- Its durability features include being shockproof and crushproof
- It is weather resistant with the dustproof feature, the freeze-proof feature, and the anti-fog lens.
Below are some of the Pros and Cons of The Olympus TG-5 Camera that earned it a spot in our list of Best Camera For Snorkeling to get in 2022.
- This camera is often called a professional camera for underwater sports
- The image quality is great
- It can produce clear images at low light settings because of the ISO range
- It is built to handle tough weather conditions
- It is also an action camera so you can capture fast-acting events underwater.
- It allows you to take up to a 50ft dive, which is a lot for private snorkelers.
- Great video quality
- When compared with the Nikon, you don’t get as much liberty with underwater depth.
Notes:- if you plan to capture fast-moving aquatic animals, you should go for the Olympus TG-5 because of its high fps specs.
Also, the image quality, even at low light areas, is impressive, which makes it perfectly fit in our best camera for snorkeling list.
6. Ricoh WG-50 16MP
If you are working with a budget, then you are right to want to pick this camera amongst the others here. While offering affordability, the Ricoh WG-50 stands as one of the best of the cheapest cameras you can use on your snorkeling adventures.
You should know that this camera is for private snorkelers and not people planning to take a deep dive because of the maximum depth of the waterproof features.
Despite the price, the durability of this camera is nothing short of impressive, making it a camera worth every cent spent on it.
Below are some of the features of The Ricoh WG-50 16MP that earned it a spot in our list of Best Camera For Snorkeling to get in 2022.
- Manufactured by the Ricoh brand
- The image quality is 16MP
- The waterproof function works within a 45ft dive depth
- To cater to lighting conditions, the ISO range is 125 to 6400
- The maximum shutter speed of 1/4000 seconds allows fast image capture of action camera
- It is shockproof from a 1.6m fall and crushproof as well to make it durable and rugged
Below are some of the Pros and Cons of The Ricoh WG-50 16MP that earned it a spot in our list of Best Camera For Snorkeling to get in 2022.
- It is low-priced and affordable as a snorkeling camera
- A good quality image was produced because of the 16mp camera
- It is a compact camera hence built for comfort
- The camera is lightweight and will not be a burden as you carry it with your gear.
- It is highly convenient for macro shooting.
- The durable build of the camera can withstand rough handling
- The camera offers different shooting modes
- Interesting colors and aesthetics
- The autofocus is a bit slow, becoming a problem when shooting fast animals.
- Some people consider it unattractive.
Notes:- If you want a break from the regular-looking cameras, you will enjoy using the Ricoh WG-50. However, opinions on aesthetics are not unanimous, so you have to decide for yourself. Also, with the Camon D30 coming at a close price, the Ricoh WG-50 has serious competition.
7. Fujifilm FinePix XP120
The Fujifilm XP120 is an underwater camera that breaks from the regular camera look by offering something more aesthetically pleasing in design and colors.
But this camera is very far from being just a pretty piece; it is in many ways highly functional underwater as interesting features allow or high-quality images, camera modes, and filters.
This camera is also built for rugged usage, so it doesn’t matter if you are not all nitty-gritty regarding how you treat your gadgets; the XP120 will still be durable in your hands.
What makes this more interesting than other Fujifilm cameras is the depth of dive it allows.
Below are some of the features of the Fujifilm FinePix XP120 that earned it a spot in our list of Best Camera For Snorkeling to get in 2022.
- The Fujifilm brand manufactures it
- It is an underwater compact camera
- It works well within a 65 feet dive into the water
- It is built for rugged usage with
- It produces photography with 16.4mp picture quality
- It has auto ISO settings of 100 to 3200 range
- It is a lightweight camera at 230g
- It has inbuilt Wi-Fi
Below are some of the Pros and Cons of the Fujifilm FinePix XP120 that earned it a spot in our list of Best Camera For Snorkeling to get in 2022.
- The camera performs well when used in low-light situations, which is a great feature if you are underwater.
- It is built to withstand rough handling and even a fall, making it a highly durable camera.
- It has an interesting aesthetical design.
- It has increased performance when it comes to diving depth compared to other Fujifilm underwater cameras.
- It produces high-quality images and videos irrespective of the lighting
- It is made by a well-known brand as far as cameras go
- It is weather friendly
- It doesn’t have inbuilt GPS settings
- When using the Wi-Fi for an extended time, the battery runtime is reduced
Notes:- Fujifilm underwater cameras are known for producing high-quality images even with low light; this is not any different.
You don’t get grainy images; it is highly durable and affordable and still gives you good-quality images and videos.
8. Fujifilm Finepix XP130
This model of Fujifilm underwater camera is close to the XP120 model, but when you take a closer look, you start to see something that might interest you. In the XP130, there is now an inbuilt Bluetooth receptor and an electronic leveling feature.
Because they are not very different, you often hear advice that it doesn’t matter which you go for, but truthfully if you need a little more battery time and ability to control from your phone, then you should go for the XP130 instead of the XP120.
Below are some of the features of The Fujifilm Finepix XP130 that earned it a spot in our list of Best Camera For Snorkeling to get in 2022.
- The Fujifilm brand manufactures it
- It is an upgrade of the XP120 version of an underwater camera
- It uses a simple-to-operate button control system
- The 16MP image quality produced
- It has inbuilt Wi-Fi and Bluetooth
- It shoots videos with full HD quality
- The lens of the camera has a five times optical zoom
- It is available in bold colors
- The waterproof function works with a 20m dive
Below are some of the Pros and Cons of The Fujifilm Finepix XP130 that earned it a spot in our Best Camera For Snorkeling list.
- The camera image produced is of good quality.
- The camera is durable and rugged because of the shockproof feature
- High connectivity with Wi-Fi and Bluetooth that are inbuilt
- You get more battery life when you use Bluetooth rather than the Wi-Fi
- Beginners find it easy to operate because of the fine button design
- The zoom function is impressive
- It offers more for an underwater camera at a low price
- You cannot shoot a 4k video with the camera
Notes:- although close to the previous version, the XG13o is updated while still being affordable to snorkelers.
For more options on the cameras to use when you go snorkeling, these are three more options that you should look at before you make a choice; Gopro Hero7 Black, Canon G7X2, and Canon G7 X Mark II with Fantasea FG7X
Best Camera For Snorkeling: What To Consider
Since you will be going underwater, of course, now that not just any camera will be able to work in such conditions, you need to ensure that you have an underwater camera.
But do you go with an underwater camera? Aren’t there more factors that help you decide what underwater camera is best for snorkeling?
Well, yes. There is more to consider than just a plain underwater camera; read more about the things you should be looking at to help you end up with the best camera for snorkeling.
Is it a professional shoot or just a private one?
This question is important because if the photographs and videos you take are used for professional display, you need to look more closely.
Professionals will demand more features from their cameras and will be more likely to want a DSLR camera than a compact camera because they produce better quality pictures and videos.
How much do you have budgeted?
Since you will buy something, the cost is a very strong determinant. If you are working with a lesser budget, you should consider using a compact camera because they are generally cheaper than their DSLR companion. But even within the compact camera category, some are still more expensive than others.
If you have a budget, go through the features you can get and carefully select the one that will be the most right for you.
The size of the camera:
even though you want to capture some of your very best encounters does not mean that the camera takes center stage. You need to be still able to enjoy your underwater dive and swim while you have your camera on. This is another reason why people often go for compact cameras. Instead, they are small and easy to carry.
The battery life of the camera:-
imagine being in the middle of your day and you get disturbed by the annoying sound of low battery or having to stop midway because you need to charge the camera. A good camera battery run-time is necessary to have a good time snorkeling.
How deep are you going to be diving:-
just because it is designed to be used underwater does not mean it can work with all underwater instances.
Every camera has a limit within which it can work underwater, and these limits can determine whether it is right for you or not. If you dive deeper, you need to go for a camera designed to accommodate the kind of depths that you cover.
it is always a good idea to go for products with a warranty. Because the longer the warranty from the manufacturer, the more the manufacturer trusts that the products will last.
This is essential because the manufacturers probably know most about their product, and if they cannot trust that what they have put out cannot last for some time without causing problems, then why should you?
What extra add-on features are you in need of:–
underwater cameras often come with extra features like built-in Wi-Fi and GPS. If you find yourself doing an activity that needs any of this, you may want to go for a camera that comes with them as an inbuilt feature.
The brand you are going with:-
although the cameras listed in this list are all from reputable brands you can trust, it is worth noting that when shopping for cameras to use when snorkeling, you need to stick to good brands.
If you do not know about brands, you can quickly ask your friends about it. Other than going for a known good reputation, known brands may be a better deal for you because then they are easier to service if anything goes wrong.
Imagine being the only one that has used a brand among your friends, and if something goes wrong with the camera or you need quick advice on something, who would you ask?
📗 FAQs on Best Camera For Snorkeling
Below are a few queries on Best Camera For Snorkeling that everyone is expecting to answer, and I did include the same for my readers.
Is GoPro a good underwater camera?
Yes, It is compact, affordable, and surprisingly powerful - allowing almost anyone to take it on a dive and get decent-quality video.
Which waterproof camera takes best pictures?
1. Nikon COOLPIX AW130 Camera 2. Fujifilm FinePix XP 80 Camera 3. CanonPowerShot D30 Waterproof Digital Camera 4. Nikon W300 5. Olympus TG-5
How much does an underwater camera cost?
Price lies between $150 - $400 approximately
Do GoPros take good pictures?
All GoPros can take still photos as JPGs. Some of the newest models can shoot RAW as well using GoPro's own .gpr format.
Getting a good camera for snorkeling means that you have to look at many factors and probably go around testing some in stores, but with the help of this guide at your fingertips and a selection of the top ten finest, it becomes easier.
The Nikon W300 and Olympus TG-5 are the top two if you want the best of the bunch. They are both highly efficient and highly recommended.