Don’t start patting yourself on the back, check the locks on your home and make sure that they are one of the smartest that you could have installed. Now you must be wondering: how can a lock be smart? What features does a lock have to be considered a best door smart lock? Let’s look at these features now:
- Your lock should be accessible through your phone – in other words, if you need to check on your lock, you should be in a position to do this from your smart handset
- Integration of smart devices at your home along with your lock – this is essential; when you do this, you are in control of your home, albeit remotely
- By keying in the right kind of commands and giving access to select members of your family, you make sure that only very few people can gain entry into your home
- Instead of depending on the conventional peephole, your smart lock incorporates a state-of-the-art camera so have a complete view of the person outside your door.
Best Door Smart Lock
Prices and products – these are matches that are difficult to make. As far as smart locks are concerned, you are spoilt for choice. Kwikset Kevo, August Smart Lock Pro, August Smart Lock 3rd Gen, Schlage Sense, Lockitron Bolt – these are just some names that you are bound to hear from the salesman who is trying to sell you a real smart lock. Before you even make your choice, it would be good for you to understand the pros and cons of some of these popular locks.
Though it looks like a traditional lock, in appearance, this brand has an LED ring as one of the concentric circles that you view at first sight. This sets it apart in appearance and design. This kind of a swanky looking device comes with its own share of practical uses and limitations as well.
- You can decide clearly on who gets access to use the lock – this can be specified and recorded. This way you can keep track of who is using the lock and ultimately makes your home more secure
- With the inbuilt chip, you can maintain a record of who is using the lock, every time someone comes near it
- With a very clearly worded set-up manual, you cannot make a mistake while installing this lock – installation is simple, and the instructions are user-friendly
- It has the tap to unlock which makes opening it a breeze. This can be very useful if you are in a hurry and do not want to take any time in opening
- It also has the ability to detect if you are close to the lock and then lock or unlock. So, if you are far away it is probably not going to open.
- The cost is higher than the first generation smart lock. Unless you can afford to get one, you are not going to want to buy it
- The key fob is part of the lock as you have to get it separately. This will cost you a little more and may discourage you from buying it.
Note:- I have written a post for people looking for the best earplugs for sleeping To Buy, do read it If you are interested.
This is the right choice for someone who is looking for a more discreet smart lock. The design of the lock ensures that it does not seem out of place. It uses what is already existing in your door and makes it look the same as it was. But even with something as great as this, there can be some drawbacks as well. So, let us take what they might be.
- It is a very user-friendly lock to have. You will not find any difficulty in operating it. Though the device can seem a little complicated to use, the ease with which it can be used makes it a great option for you.
- This smart lock is compatible with Alexa making it truly smart. This feature puts it a notch above the rest meaning that you can have more control over how the lock will work.
- Many of the smart locks out there come with a very limited range of settings. This is not the case with the August Smart Lock Pro. Its settings can be fully customized. You can tweak the device to your liking.
- The one major drawback that this smart lock has is that there is no built-in alarm. This feature is commonplace among the competitors which makes you wish there was one here as well.
If there is one lock that you should have on your door – it is the August Smart Lock 3rd Gen. This is one hell of a small lock – stylish in design and appearance and so robust that you can just waltz out of your home without bothering about its safety.
- The mechanism that is completely digitized can be integrated with systems on your phone and laptop
- You can actually control who enters your home with suitable commands that are given through Google Assistant or through Amazon’s Alexa – sounds cool doesn’t it?
- You can get it to attach to the deadbolt that is already there in a very short time – takes less than ten minutes for this to happen
- The installation kit is clear with drawings that make it easy to fit into the door. You don’t have to wait for a professional to help you do this – it is a DIY kit that works well
- Though the design is sleek and perfect, there is a small noise that is created when the lock is activated – this lock could unnerve you when you are not prepared for it.
- Having Google Assistant or Alexa control your lock might sound pretty cool, but what do you do when you do not have access to Wi-Fi? Isn’t that a bit restrictive? You would have to think twice before checking on your home if internet connectivity is a problem.
This is a lock that you should be thinking of using not just for your home, but for your place of work or an industry or some sort of commercial space. In short, this is a heavy-duty lock that is pretty huge in appearance – you would be surprised at how much it weighs. So, if you are thinking of installing a lock that is commercial-grade, then Schlage Sense it should be. This is a lock that is used by large business houses, warehouses and similar commercial buildings.
- The sheer size and strength of this apparatus makes it incredibly formidable – tampering and damaging this is just out of the question
- Using a Wi-Fi bridge, you can integrate this with your other devices; this ensures that remote access is available
- Schlage Sense can respond to an auto-lock instruction that you give it – based on this, you can ensure that it auto-locks at specific intervals
- You can adjust the level of sensitivity on the lock – in other words, you can adjust it in such a way that you will not have a blaring alarm when a bird or beetle sits on it
- Installing a Schlage Sense is no party at all – it is quite complicated; leaving you wondering why you ever bought it in the first place
- The PIN codes that you have to install for each of the people you give access to, need to be recorded – this could be quite cumbersome – think before you assign codes for entry
It is one of the cheaper options available in the market but that should not influence what you think about it. The quality of the lock is good enough to warrant your attention. It is what you should be looking at if you do not want to spend a lot of money on a smart lock. But before you go about buying one of them, take a look at the pros and cons.
- Value for money is the primary reason why you should buy the Lockitron Bolt. You will be hard-pressed to find a better smart lock in this price point.
- The compactness of the lock makes it very easy to use. It does the job of the smart lock very well and makes your job of operating it, very simple.
- It cannot be used for all types of doors. It is compatible only with certain kinds of doors. If you want to know if it can be installed on your door, you can check out their website.
- It can be connected to your phone only via Bluetooth. This is not the preferred option for many.
You may also like to read these awesome articles
Hope this article “Top 5 Best Door Smart Locks You Should Try” helps you to find best door smart lock. If you have any query, feel free to comment.