Do you have the curiosity to know about the Best External Sound Cards For Gaming and Recording to buy in 2022? 🤔 You can easily Find out now in this definitive list with our detailed review.
Without any further delay, let’s find out. 👓👓
An external sound card is one piece of device that music enthusiasts probably can’t do without, especially those that have to rely on their PC as the main source of music.
Ordinarily, a computer or PC isn’t well built to give the users any listening pleasure. Individuals who desire to make their computer music players must work around it.
Sometimes, this can be done by installing some internal or external application on the PC to heighten the listening experience. In recent times though, a perfect way that has been devised is to buy an external sound card and connect it to the computer externally.
Through this, the computer can be transformed into a home theatre system that would provide every bit of sound and audio quality desired by the owner.
Going about this is quite easy as you only need to purchase an external sound card and connect it to one of the ports on your computer. After this, you are on your way to deriving audio joy and pleasure.
Its multiple outputs make an external sound card unique, where you can connect audio equipment like subwoofers, amplifiers, etc. All of these are what will enhance the entire audio quality.
Also, this device is external, so you don’t have to risk the safety of your PC by connecting another device to it internally. They are also portable, compact, and easy to install and remove when needed.
At the time of our research on “Best External Sound Cards”, we found a video about “Do you Need a Sound Card?” worth watching. 🏆
For an individual looking to purchase an external sound card for their PCs, you need to realize that the market is filled with many products from different brands. The truth is, not all of these brands or products can deliver the exact thing you want.
This is why looking for the best products from the best brands is advisable. To simplify the process, we have developed a list of the best external sound cards available in the market.
Inputting together this list, we considered a lot of factors that we consider important to consider any product as excellent. We also paid great attention to the value each product represents compared to its cost.
We also consider the credibility of the brands as well as the opinions of the previous buyers of such products.
Best External Sound Cards – Our Top Pick 👌
After a thorough perusal of all the options available in the market, the products listed below are the top picks we recommend for you.
1. UGREEN USB Audio Adapter External Stereo Sound Card
The UGREEN USB Audio Adapter External Stereo Sound Card is one of the best options in the current market for its price. Going for just $8.15, this external sound card is reliably built to change your whole listening experience.
You can conveniently say goodbye to poor sound quality whenever you use this device, wherever you are. It would comfortably bump up the audio quality of your computer and provide other smart options you desire when in an external sound card.
For instance, this device allows you to engage in voice chatting while gaming and comes with a flexible cable design. It also comes with stereo sound effects and supports the plug-and-play feature.
Also, you should know that this device is compatible with many devices, including 3.5mm headphones and microphones jack for Windows, Mac, Linux, Desktops, and even PS4.
With this device, you wouldn’t need to fret about electromagnetic interference; it is built to bypass that and provide you with a superior audio experience.
Another thing to note is that this device is tough and durable but also lightweight, which makes it the perfect device for the younger generation.
The manufacturers also provide an 18-month warranty for the device, which should be the perfect insurance for buyers and make it fit in our best external sound cards 2022 lists.
- This device comes with a sturdy build which makes it quite durable.
- It is quite easy to use and install. There is no driver involved as it is just plugged and played.
- It has many smart features, making it a great pull for the younger generation.
- The device offers great compatibility as it can work with many devices, including Linux, Mac computers, desktops, PS4, etc.
- You can be assured of great audio quality as soon as you plug it in as it is reliably built to enhance the audio quality of your computer.
- At a price of just $8.15, this is probably one of the best external sound cards out there regarding value for money.
- There have been a few complaints about the long-term reliability of this device.
- Its power efficiency has often been questioned, and there is the problem of static sounds in the long run.
2. StarTech 7.1 – Best external sound card for laptop DJ
The StarTech 7.1 Audio Adapter External Sound Card is one of the best options available in the market without mincing words. This external sound card is tastefully built to help you transform your PC into a home theatre system.
This device comes with multiple outputs and dual-mic and classy silver color. At a price of over $30, it is not cheap, but it comes with more than enough features that justify the price tag.
The moment you connect this external sound card to your computer, what you start enjoying is an unrivaled audio quality that will leave you truly satisfied.
This device comes with a 7.1-channel home theatre that allows you to enjoy superior audio quality at all times.
With this external sound card, installation and usage are pretty simple. Connectivity doesn’t require any driver as it comes with the innovative plug and plays feature. It is also built to be durable and strong, as evidenced by the silver panel.
If you are a gamer, this is the external sound card for you, as it allows you to combine your gaming and music needs simultaneously without disruption.
Compatibility is another huge factor that makes this device appealing as it can be easily connected to a host of home and office devices, including desktop computers, Mac, Linux, and Windows computers, as well as PS4.
It also comes with a two-year warranty and lifetime technical support.
- It comes with a 7.1 channel home theatre that gives rise to superior audio quality at all times.
- It comes with lifetime technical support.
- It is highly compatible with various audio and sound devices and gaming consoles.
- It comes with a solid build that would enhance durability.
- It comes with a plug and plays feature that allows for easy installation.
- It didn’t come with an HD audio pin for the mic jacks and headphones.
- At a price of over $30, this external sound card is expensive.
3. BENGOO External Audio Adapter
Are you looking for an external sound card that would elevate the audio quality of your computer at an affordable price? Then, the BENGOO External Audio Adapter Stereo Sound Card Converter is your plug.
For just $10.99, you would have access to this highly efficient device built to lift your auditory experience. This device comes with a High stereo Fidelity (HiFi) sound and a plug and plays feature that allows you to enjoy superior audio quality on the go.
It also comes with multiple interfaces that allow you to connect various audio devices and a sleek and amazing design. Despite its beautiful design, it still has qualities that make it last longer.
It also comes with a compact design that makes it very mobile. Another thing that makes this external sound card stand out is the ease with which it can work with virtually all sound devices and operating systems.
Due to its multiple outlets, you can easily connect it with various audio devices like speakers, subwoofers, headphones, microphones, etc., and it works seamlessly with the Linux, Windows, and Mac operating systems. BENGOO External Audio Adapter is the best external sound card for mac.
- It comes with a sleek and beautiful design.
- It is highly compatible with multiple ranges of audio equipment and works easily with virtually all operating systems.
- It comes with a compact design which makes it highly mobile.
- For all its amazing features, it is quite affordable at just $10.99
- It doesn’t require any drivers as it comes with the plug and plays feature.
- The microphone volume is considered low by a lot of users.
- There are a lot of concerns regarding the long time effectiveness of this external sound card.
4. DigitalLife External – Best external sound card for gaming
The DigitalLife External 7.1 USB Sound Card is one of the newest options in the market. This external sound card comes with multiple outlets that allow you to create the perfect audio quality by connecting the device to a wide range of audio equipment.
It is the ideal external sound card for music lovers, gamers, and folks who want to explore to arrive at the perfect audio quality.
This device goes all out to connect the digital and analog bridge for your computer to bring out the superior audio quality that is reminiscent of a home theatre system.
It comes with easy-to-use volume control, ensuring your ear is perfectly protected. It also comes with an external soundbox and dual-mic input. This device is sturdily built, and it is guaranteed to last long.
Despite its sturdy build, it is still very compact and can easily move from one place to another without hassle. Another great thing about this external sound card is its compatibility.
It is compatible with desktop computers, laptops, subwoofers, speakers, game consoles, etc. It is also very compatible with Windows and Mac operating systems. DigitalLife External 7.1 USB Sound Card is the best external sound card for recording.
- It comes with a 7.1 channel for a superior audio experience.
- It can connect digital and analog bridges to provide the perfect audio system for your computer.
- It is sturdily built and guaranteed to last long.
- It is compatible with a wide range of audio devices and operating systems.
- It comes with easy-to-use volume control, which helps in protecting the ears.
- It is quite easy to set up and use.
- There is a lot to be desired regarding technical support.
5. Sound BlasterX G6
There are external sound cards, and there is a sound blaster external sound card. Suppose you think you can afford to pay a premium price for an amazing external sound card that would leave you truly satisfied at every use.
Before paying for the CES Innovation Awards 2019 winner, Sound BlasterX G6 Hi Resistant 130dB External USB Sound Card, you should not think twice.
There is no basis for hiding the fact that this device is expensive, but it makes up for every dollar you spend on it with its flawless performance at every use.
This external sound card gives you everything needed to turn your computer into the best stereo system.
This device has a beautiful and sleek design and houses a built-in Dolby Digital 7.1 virtual surround sound for audio perfection. If you are a gamer, this is music to your ears as you are not confined to just one variety.
This device is compatible with PS4, Nintendo Switch, and Xbox One. It also supports voice communication on PC and PS4 as well as the Scout mode, which lets you hear your opponents’ commands, which would add a lot of convenience to your gaming experience.
With the 130dB DNR, you would have access to clarity and details in sound, as all disturbances and distortion would have been easily filtered away.
Regarding compatibility, you have nothing to worry about, as this external sound card works perfectly with virtually all audio devices and does well by bringing the best out of them.
- This external sound card comes with Dolby Digital 7.1 virtual surround sound, allowing for superior audio quality.
- It also comes with the 130dB DNR, which helps achieve sound clarity by filtering distortion and disturbances.
- It offers great compatibility with a wide range of audio devices and helps improve their performance.
- It provides an option for gamers as it works perfectly fine with Xbox One, Nintendo Switch, and PS4 consoles.
- It is quite easy to set up and use.
- At a price of around $140, this external sound card is expensive.
6. Creative Sound Blaster Omni – Best external sound card for audiophiles
The Creative Sound Blaster Omni Surround 5.1 USB Sound Card is one product we are happy to introduce to our readers as we are sure you can’t go wrong investing in it.
With this external sound card, you are guaranteed an instant upgrade on your overall audio quality. It comes with Omni Surround 5.1 and Dolby Digital Live feature that immediately turns around the audio quality provided by your computer and gives rise to a truly pleasant listening experience.
For gamers, this is another great option as it comes with the Scout mode that gives you an edge over your competitor by knowing what they are saying beforehand and using that to your advantage.
There is no problem regarding compatibility, as this device can function seamlessly with a wide range of audio devices and the Windows and Mac operating systems.
This external sound card has a chic design and an integrated beamforming microphone. Other important features include; a 600-ohm amplifier, advanced audio technology, and a cinematic entertainment system, all of which work together to provide the perfect audio system you desire.
Below are some of the Pros and Cons of Creative Sound Blaster Omni that earned it a spot in our Best External Sound Cards.
- It is easy to install and operate.
- It is compatible with a wide range of audio devices and operating systems.
- It comes with an Omni Surround 5.1 Dolby Digital feature, giving room for superior audio performance.
- It comes with the innovative scout mode, a great cutting edge for gamers.
- It comes with highly functional volume control.
- At a price of about $70, this external sound card is a little bit expensive.
- This device cannot function as a standalone card.
7. Andrea (USB-SA) Pure Audio External Digital USB Card
The Andrea (USB-SA) Pure Audio External Digital USB Sound Card is also one of the new arrivals in the market that we want our readers to consider investing in seriously.
It is not cheap, but it would also not put a hole in your pocket, and when you consider the price of the amazing features that come with it, you can’t but agree with us that this external card is worth every bit of the $39.97 it costs.
It comes with a high-fidelity feature that immediately raises the audio quality of the sound provided by your computer and turns it into a mini home stereo performance. Another great thing about this device is its portability and compactness.
It has two external outlets that allow you to connect to other audio devices to create an enhanced audio experience. It offers great compatibility with speakers, mic, subwoofers, desktop computers, laptop computers, and many other devices. It is also compatible with Windows and Mac operating systems.
Below are some of the Pros and Cons of Andrea’s that earned it a spot in our list of Best External Sound Cards.
- This external sound card comes with a high-fidelity sound system that allows it to create the superior audio performance desired by the user.
- It is highly compatible with both the Mac and Windows operating systems.
- This device offers great compatibility with a wide range of audio devices, making it a great option for all.
- It is built to b very compact and portable.
- It is built to reduce external and background noise to create a clear sound at all times.
- The technical support leaves a lot to be desired.
- At around $40, it is not essentially affordable to everyone.
8. UGREEN USB 3.0 Hub 3 Ports External Stereo Adapter
The UGREEN USB 3.0 Hub 3 Ports External Stereo Adapter is one of the best external sound cards you can get for the price. You should seriously consider this sound card if you are looking for a highly effective device at a considerably low price.
It is one of the highly-rated external sound cards on the premium merchant site Amazon, and it has garnered overall positive reviews from buyers, which says a lot.
It has 3 ports where you can connect different ranges of audio devices to give rise to the quality audio experience you desire.
Connecting this external sound card to your computer will immediately witness a heightened audio quality. This device also comes with a 5 Gbps speed, ensuring that the transfer of files is fast, efficient, and accurate.
With this device, you don’t need any driver as it supports the plug and plays feature. This device covers you as it is compatible with the Windows, Mac, and Linux operating systems.
Another plus for this external sound card is its one-year warranty, a great cover for all buyers.
Below are some of the Pros and Cons of the UGREEN USB 3.0 that earned it a spot in our Best External Sound Cards list.
- This external sound card works perfectly with Windows, Linux, and Mac operating systems.
- The device is built to improve your computer’s audio performance when used automatically.
- It comes with a very fast 5Gbps speed.
- The manufacturers paid great attention to safety by installing protection against voltage overload.
- It has multiple ports, allowing easy connectivity with other audio devices.
- At just $19, this device is quite affordable and offers great value for money.
- It offers a bit of poor compatibility with older windows system computers.
- There is a fair bit of concern about the long-term effectiveness of this external sound card.
Best External Sound Cards: What To Consider
When you are looking to invest in an external sound card for your computer, you mustn’t engage in panic buying.
There are some things you need to look out for to get the perfect external sound card for your computer, and we will be listing some of them below to help you make the correct buying decision.
One of the most important things you must consider is the compatibility of the external sound card you buy with the audio devices available. Make no mistake; your external sound card doesn’t operate in isolation.
Instead, it works with other audio devices, like speakers, amplifiers, subwoofers, etc., to produce the perfect sound you desire.
Hence, an external sound card that doesn’t offer enough compatibility isn’t going to give you what you want.
It is truly an external sound card that doesn’t work in isolation, but the quality of the sound programmed in it would go a long way to determine the overall quality of the audio you would get in the end.
Hence, it is important to pay great attention to the sound quality of the external sound card you are investing in.
The perfect external sound card should be portable and easy to move around. Remember you will be using this with a wide range of audio devices; if it is not portable, this might lead to many inconveniences.
Finally, it would be best to read up on the buyers’ reviews of the external sound card you are investing in. Remember, many people have bought it in the past and are in a better position to tell you everything you need to know about the product.
As such, you would be doing yourself a lot of good by reading up on these reviews to make a sound buying decision.
What should I look for in an external sound card?
The first thing to look for in an external sound card is audio channels. If you’re looking for surround sound, you’ll need to check to see if your card has two channels and 2.1 channels if you want to add a subwoofer. 5.1 channels is ideal for improved surround sound. One channel is preferred for the best surround sound experience.
Are external sound cards any good?
Yes, external sound cards are easy and highly portable means to upgrade the sound quality. Moreover, they have a diverse feature set giving them high functionality suitable for computers or other systems.
Does an external sound card make a difference?
Yes, external sound cards can improve the sound experience tremendously. Many recording artists opt for sound cards since they can make plugging and recording quick and easy.
What is the purpose of an external sound card?
An external sound card adds audio ports to a computer or connected system. It is a box you connect to a computer to add audio ports.
What makes a sound card better?
Sound quality is the defining feature of a sound card. Look for an external sound card that puts high sampling frequencies at high bit rates.
What makes a good audio card?
A sound card with high SNR, signal-to-noise ratio and low distortion will allow you to reproduce audio signals without any unwanted additions.
Will a sound card increase volume?
A sound card with an improved DAC will allow you to amplify the sound quality and play sounds at a much higher volume.
Conclusion on the best external sound cards list
By following this best sound card 2022 buying guide, it is safe to say you will purchase the right external sound card to serve your desired purpose. Happy shopping!!!