The best hiking watches do not just show date and time but even provide the users with important data like location, altitude, air pressure, sunset or sunrise times, and so on.
These are in no way typical fitness bands designed for individuals who are in love with exercising. Instead, they closely resemble smartwatches in their appearance and are specifically designed to be used outdoors.
They can help users with weather prediction, planning, and navigation. They come with hiking-specific attributes and are built to deal with all kinds of elements.
The majority of them have altimeters for measuring elevation, barometers for changes in weather, and digital compasses for keeping the users in the right direction.
With new models and designs of hiking watches being introduced in the market regularly, we aim at constantly updating our selection so that you choose only the best products.
Best hiking watches have gained huge popularity in recent times, and their manufacturing companies are also making good progress with the combination of useful technology and design. The list of hiking watches provided below includes models that are indeed an exclusive breed.
Best Hiking Watches: Our Top Pick 👌👌
1. Garmin Fenix 6 Sapphire
The Garmin Fenix 6 Sapphire will help you add music, mapping, planning, and intelligent pace to your workout sessions. This multisport GPS watch is designed to offer comfortable wearability throughout the day.
This rugged device puts advanced training, environmentally adjusted Vo2 Max estimates and cycling, or running dynamics right at your fingertips.
The information and data provided by this watch are in close estimation with the metrics and activities tracked by the users. It even offers smart notifications when paired with any compatible smartphone.
Other important features of the Garmin Fenix 6 Sapphire include pulse ox and customizable power management modes for maximizing on-wrist usage time.
The users can make effective use of these features for seeing and controlling how different sensors and settings have an impact on the battery life of the device.
Below is the summary of the main Pros and Cons of the Garmin Fenix 6 Sapphire that earned it a spot in our list of the Best Hiking Watches To get in 2021.
- The first-of-its-kind Pacepro attribute of the Garmin Fenix 6 Sapphire helps in keeping the pacing strategies of the users on track. This further offers grade-adjusted advice while running on a course.
- It will give you the scope of navigating the exteriors with pre-loaded ski maps and topo maps available for over 2, 000 ski resorts across the world.
- Sapphire trekking watches add toughness and quality of scratch-resistant sapphire lenses along with other top-quality materials.
- The users also get several universal navigation satellite system support along with in-built sensors for gyroscope, barometric altimeter, and 3-axis compass.
- It is ideal for performance with a sophisticated and rugged design featuring an always-on 1.3 inches display that is even visible in sunlight.
- The bezels display comes in titanium, diamond-like, and stainless steel coating.
- Enhanced Pulse ox and wrist heart rate support altitude acclimation and sleep monitoring at the highest elevations.
- The Pulse Ox and HR features of the watch do not work properly. They are not perfect for high-altitude training and hiking.
- The default digital face of the F6 features minutes that are not in perfect line with the hour.
- Reading the face of the watch is really difficult because of the absence of brightness and contrast.
- Colors seem to get washed out very easily.
At $709.99, the Garmin Fenix 6 Sapphire is the perfect buy for hiking enthusiasts who are on the lookout for watches with the best features. The watch comes with more attributes that any hiker can use. The only thing you need to do is play with this device.
The learning curve to start using the watch might be longer or shorter, depending on how good a user is at grabbing the features of this device. For now, it would be a safe buy.
2. Garmin Instinct, Rugged Outdoor Watch with GPS
The Garmin Instinct outdoor watch with GPS has been designed to ensure. This is a reliable and rugged watch built as per the military standards of the United States.
It boasts 810G water, shock, and thermal resistance. Its fiber-reinforced polymer packing or case offers durability and strength to the product.
The scratch-resistant chemically strengthened display of this watch is sufficiently high-contrast for reading in bright sunlight. Hence, it is perfect to be used in the extremes that hikers face in these present times.
Below is the summary of the main Pros and Cons of the Garmin Instinct, Rugged Outdoor Watch with GPS that earned it a spot in our list of the Best Hiking Watches To get in 2021.
- The Garmin Instinct is a rugged GPS device built to serve in the toughest of environments.
- In-built barometric altimeter and 3-axis compass along with several global navigation satellite systems backing help in tracking in challenging environments.
- You can use this watch for monitoring estimated stress, activity, and heart rate while indulging in training with its pre-loaded activity profiles.
- It will help you stay connected with its smart notifications when paired with any compatible smartphone and automated data uploads on the Garmin Connect fitness community online.
- The TracBack feature of this device is helpful for users when it comes to tracking the same path on which they had started.
- Users also have the option of using the Garmin Explore application and site for planning their hiking expeditions in advance.
- The watch comes with a battery life of around 14 days when used in a smartwatch style and 16 hours when used in GPS style.
- Using the watch in UltraTrac battery saver mode will offer the users up to 40 hours of battery life.
- It offers absurd and irrelevant hike reports, and it also does not matter whether the user goes in GPS or no GPS mode.
- The display of this watch is black & white, and this can be a matter of great concern for some users who like going for colorful displays.
- Weighing just 53 grams, this is a lightweight watch, but its design is not in fashion.
- One of the hilarious dysfunctional flaws of this watch is its buttons extending beyond the edge of its housing. This means that if you indulge in any kind of activity like lifting or running, you will be pressing the buttons accidentally.
For the ones who like to follow the beaten path, Garmin Instinct would be a perfect choice. It helps you take the guesswork out of your travel by helping you navigate the same path back to where you started.
Its smart notifications will help you have a track of all your activities while your phone is still in your pocket. So, if you are looking to plan the best of hiking adventures, the Garmin Instinct at $169.99 would be the perfect buy for you.
3. Timex Unisex Expedition Classic Digital Chrono Alarm Timer Mid-Size Watch
This is probably one of the best hiking watches designed for the outdoors. It will enable you to leave your home; get outside, and take the exclusive path leading you towards conquering the highest of mountain peaks.
It will give you the chance to explore the freedom of discovery. This rugged hiking watch is a true adventure friend, built to withstand whatever comes its way easily.
Below is the summary of the main Pros and Cons of the Timex Unisex Expedition Classic Watch that earned it a spot in our list of the Best Hiking Watches To get in 2021.
- The chronograph feature of the Timex Unisex Expedition Classic Digital Watch allows users to track their personal bests.
- Its revolutionary Indiglo backlight technology will help users in tracking time even in the dark.
- The nylon fast wrap strap of this watch can be adjusted very easily. It is 16 millimeters in length and features a hook & look closure.
- The strap fits up to 8-inches of wrist circumference.
- It even features a month, data, and day calendar along with a 24-hour countdown timer.
- There are three regular weekend or weekday alarms with a backup of five minutes along with two time zones and 24-hour military timing modes.
- The casing of this watch is made of black resin and measures 33 millimeters. It even features an acrylic lens.
- The digital display of the device is gray and even boasts of an Indiglo backlight watch dial.
- This watch can resist water up to 100 meters.
- The size of the watch is too small, and thus it might get difficult for users to go through the readings and the data.
- The band can be a bit tight-fitting for the average size wrist of a woman.
- The battery life of the device is not good.
- Velcro band unfastens in deep water, and thus it is not perfect for surfing.
The Timex Unisex Expedition Classic Digital Watch is perfect for swimming and snorkeling. But it might not be the right option for diving.
Nevertheless, if you are on the lookout for a hiking watch that comes loaded with features that can help you with your hiking expedition, then the Timex Unisex Expedition Classic Digital Watch would be the right buy for you.
Available at a price of $33.80, this hiking watch would add several stars to the experience you grab from hiking and other adventures.
4. Timex Expedition Vibration Alarm Full-Size Watch
For tactical sportsmen and hikers who do not want to be heard or seen, the Timex Expedition Vibration Alarm Full-Size Watch can prove to be the best buy.
This lightweight hiking device weighs just 2 oz, which means it will not feel heavy on your wrist. It is probably one of the best hiking watches with vibration alarm features and mediocre construction quality.
Below is the summary of the main Pros and Cons of the Timex Expedition Vibration Alarm Full-Size Watch that earned it a spot in our list of the Best Hiking Watches To get in 2021.
- The adjustable 22-millimeter black resin strap of this device fits the average wrist circumference of 8-inches.
- The watch features a dual-mode alarm along with audible alert and vibrating.
- The Timex Expedition Vibration Alarm Watch in full size also comes with a 24-hour countdown time and 100-hour chronograph featuring split and lap options.
- The hydration alarm of this device will help you in monitoring your liquid intake all throughout the day.
- It comes with a total of 15 pre-set occasions for setting reminders for meetings, anniversaries, birthdays, and other important events.
- Experience great ease while traveling and hiking with the three time-zone settings and three alarms in this hiking watch from Timex.
- The buckle clasp closing feature of this watch is highly beneficial.
- Its battery lifetime is approximately two years
- The loop on the watch band might break very easily, resulting in the band flaring out at times. This can get a bit uncomfortable for the users, especially when they are outdoors.
- Vibrating alarm watches are perfect for the disabled, especially for deaf individuals. But the features of the Timex Expedition Vibration Alarm Full-Size Watch are not up-to-the-mark.
- Its operating instructions seem to be deficient, making it very difficult for the users to set different functions.
- The vibration alarm feature of this watch does not work for heavy sleepers and is only useful for daytime sleepers.
- The compass pointer of the device does not serve any function other than collecting grime and dust.
It is high time that more and more hiking watch manufacturers aim at bringing in the vibration alarm features in their products, just like the Timex Expedition Vibration Alarm watch. The vibrating timer of this device works as a valuable reminder tool for the users.
Several time zones also come as one of the best features for double-checking time when closing or activating flight routes. Available at $32.00, you will love almost everything about the Timex Expedition Vibration Alarm Full-Size Watch.
At the time of our research on Best Hiking Watches, we found a video about “10 Tips for Beginner Hikers” which is worth watching. 😎🤴
5. Naturehike M1 with Heart Rate and Sleep Monitor
Smart Watch for Android Phones Naturehike M1 with Heart Rate and Sleep Monitor is all that you require for staying inspired throughout the day. It will help you in regulating your breath and in calming your temperament.
It will also help you record different activities throughout the day, which include distance, steps, miles walked, sleep status, calories burned, and active minutes. The smartwatch boasts of a high-quality LCD screen with bright intensity.
It will enable you to receive calls, SMS, SNS, and calendar notifications on display. It even vibrates, which means the users are notified about incoming messages and calls. This way, you will not be missing out on the messages that really matter.
Below is the summary of the main Pros and Cons of the Naturehike M1 with Heart Rate that earned it a spot in our list of the Best Hiking Watches To get in 2021.
- The Naturehike Smart Watch for Android is IP67 water-resistant. Users can wear it while washing their hands or while hiking in the rain.
- Its 1.3-inch screen helps users in viewing their health information clearly and on a brighter platform. They can even customize the clock face to suit their preference.
- Users can set reminders for time durations when they are inactive.
- Even silent alarms can be set on the tracker for waking up without disturbing the partner.
- Operations on the smartwatch screen can control photography shooting remotely.
- The screen of this device is lightened up automatically when users turn their wrists. This wrist sense technology makes it one of the best hiking watches presently available in the market.
- The 5 modes activity tracker of the device lets users choose and control modes right from the app.
- Users can even connect the GPS on their smartphones for showing routes on their phone apps.
- This smartwatch works perfectly when used for tracking fitness as it comes loaded with features like heart rate and GPS tracking.
- Several sports modes choices make it the perfect fit for individuals who like to live a healthy life.
- This device supports countdown and stopwatch timer functionalities for helping you optimize your training and workout in a better way.
- It even supports breathing guide functionality.
- The sedentary reminder setting in this smartwatch starts flickering if the users stay at their place or in a resting position for a very long time.
- Compass, altitude, and pressure features make it the perfect hiking companion.
- The Naturehike Smart Watch for Android needs iOS 8.0 Android 4.4 and above, which means it is suitable only for smartphones. It might not be the best hiking device to be used in compatibility with tablets, computers, and iPads.
- Despite the fact that it is water-resistant, the device cannot be worn while driving, swimming, and showering.
- Set up is not easy and comes loaded with several problems.
- The watchband is uncomfortable. It is not easy and quick to put on the wrist.
At $68.90, the Naturehike Smart Watch for Android serves as one of the most beautiful and simplest gifts for special occasions. It comes with a detachable strap, awesome design, and is comfortable to wear on the whole.
The users get several languages to make their choice from, and it even boasts of a color HD touchscreen. You will surely enjoy using this hiking device and fitness tracker.
6. Casio Men’s FT500WVB-5BV
This hiking device from the Forester selection of Casio features EL backlight along with afterglow; fast-wrap band; three-hand analog display; accuracy up to 20 seconds; water resistance up to 100 meters, 3-year battery lifespan, and date display.
Below is the summary of the main Pros and Cons of the Casio Men’s FT500WVB-5BV that earned it a spot in our list of the Best Hiking Watches To get in 2021.
- The Casio Men’s FT500WVB-5BV is a rugged hiking watch featuring a round watch dial.
- The dial features hour markers in Arabic. There is a date window at 3’oclock and a 24-hour time on the internal dial.
- The watch comes with a Velcro fastener and Quartz movement.
- The Nylon wrap band of the watch features hook and loop closure.
- The watch can be read very easily, and the time settings can even be changed conveniently when traveling.
- The backlight of the dial is very bright, making it easier for the users to see everything clearly even at night.
- It can break very easily because of its soft structure.
- It is water-proof, which means you can wear it while running in rains or while showering. But the band takes a bit of time to dry out completely.
- The watch does not come with any extra features such as an alarm or stopwatch. It is just a very basic hiking watch.
For the ones who are on the lookout for super-durable hiking watches, the Casio Men’s FT500WVB-5BV might not be the right watch.
Nevertheless, if you are on the lookout for a somewhat affordable, durable, and water-resistant hiking watch, then this might be the product you should buy.
Though it is not a very dressy kind of watch, it is durable enough to offer you several years of undisturbed service. At $22.49, this is a superbly affordable hiking watch that is a bit classically understated at present.
7. Timex Women’s Expedition Metal Field Mini Watch
While the Timex Women’s Expedition Metal Field Mini Watch appears in the form of a very casual watch, it adds great style to the appearance of a woman and serves as a rugged complement to her everyday wear.
Its round case is made of brass in silver-tone and features a brushed, flattened bezel framing the perfect dial background featuring Arabic numerals, luminous stick hands, and 24-hour notations. The battery life span of this device is 8 years, and it is water-resistant up to 165 feet or 50 meters in water.
Below is the summary of the main Pros and Cons of the Timex Women’s Expedition Metal Watch that earned it a spot in our list of the Best Hiking Watches To get in 2021.
- The highly durable strap of this watch mixes nylon and leather and is thus quite strong and comfortable.
- Indiglo night-life uniformity brightens the surface of the dial of the watch by making use of authentic and proprietary electroluminescent lighting technology.
- The watch makes use of less power enabling the battery to keep providing service for a very long time.
- It comes with a green nylon strap that is 12 mm in length and is easily adjustable as well. The strap features a trim made of original leather and fits an average wrist circumference of 7.5 inches.
- Tested to easily withstand all kinds of harsh elements, the Timex Women’s Expedition Metal Field Mini Watch is a rugged hiking tool designed to serve as one of the most trusted adventure companions.
- The easy reader design of this watch makes it perfect for every individual, either with glasses or without them.
- Face dial of the watch is very small though it is simpler and cleaner than the face dials of the other hiking watches available in the market. The dial is only 20 mm in diameter, which is too small a size for easy readings.
- Manufacturers boast of eight years of battery life, but users have found the battery dying out only after two months of use.
Available within an affordable range of $45.46, the Timex Women’s Expedition Metal Field Mini Watch is a gem of a hiking device. Though it comes with a couple of drawbacks, its exclusive features cannot be ignored for the cons it presents.
If you are on the lookout for a hiking watch that comes loaded with features and is available within an affordable range, then the Timex Women’s Expedition Metal Field Mini Watch would be the right purchase for you.
8. Casio Men’s Twin Sensor Multi-Function Digital Sport Watch
This is one watch that has been created with the objective or the dream of manufacturing a device that never breaks. This is a G-Shock category watch that has the potential of resisting impact and centrifugal forces along with the highest water pressures.
It is a durable hiking watch trusted by law enforcement officers, military personnel, outdoor enthusiasts, and surfers. It is highly touted across the world of fashion and is even recommended by icons in design, sports, and hip-hop culture.
Below is the summary of the main Pros and Cons of the Casio Men’s Twin Sensor Digital Sport Watch that earned it a spot in our list of the Best Hiking Watches To get in 2021.
- This is a round watch featuring a digital dial and screw-down bezel.
- It comes with a countdown timer, five alarms, an altimeter, a thermometer, and a barometer.
- The textured band of this watch is made of good quality resin, and it features a buckle closure.
- The 50mm case is made of black resin and features a mineral dial window.
- Digital display with quartz movement.
- The watch is water-resistant up to 330 feet and is therefore perfect for snorkeling and swimming.
- The twin sensor technology of the watch enables it to measure both air or altitude pressure and temperature.
- The large LCD screen of the device shows readouts of information at one glance.
- The high-performance pressure sensor of the device offers altitude interpretations of up to 10, 000 meters along with automated pressure analyses every couple of hours. Results are portrayed graphically and can be used for predicting weather in the most accurate manner.
- Big size function buttons make way for one-push use of altitude and illumination measurement.
- Low-temperature opposition of up to 10C/14F makes such prototypes perfect to be worn around water, in the rain, and almost anywhere.
- Other functionalities include a stopwatch and World Time.
- The side buttons on this watch stop working randomly.
- The battery life span is very short.
- This big and bulky hiking watch might not be suitable for workplaces and other occasions. You can just use it for your outdoor expeditions.
- The altitude readings of the watch are not constant and take a few seconds to display after every push of the altitude button.
One of the best things about the Casio Men’s Twin Sensor Multi-Function Digital Sport Watch is that it does not cost much, especially when compared to other watches that come with the same features. You can get it within an affordable range of $49.95 and use it as your sole companion for hiking the mountains.
📗 Frequently Asked Questions about Best Hiking Watches
Below are a couple of queries on Best Hiking Watches that everyone is expecting to answer and I did include the same for my readers.
1. What does it mean to get the best hiking watch?
To be very specific, the best hiking watch is one that comes with several technological and physical features for the ease of use and convenience of the users. However, it must have a comfortable design, robust structure, superior features, and GPS.
2. What are the features to look out for in the best hiking watch?
The hiking watch you choose should be a multi-functional and compact outdoor device with features that are geared towards making all kinds of hiking expeditions and outdoor excursions more enjoyable and easier for the users.
Look out for basic features like location indicator, direction indicator, time settings, altitude measurement, and distance covered. Also, look out for functionality and robustness.
3. Why choose the best hiking watches?
As is evident from the name itself, the best hiking watches are specifically designed for the outdoors. They are not the same as ordinary watches. They boast of strong designs and several safety-enhancing attributes.
The latest models in this category come with built-in weather tracking equipment like altimeters, thermometers, and barometers. These tools can warn hiking enthusiasts about adverse weather conditions.
4. Is it possible to use hiking watches offline?
Of course, all hiking devices can easily be used offline for counting steps and navigation. You will not be able to use a mobile syncing feature that allows users to transfer their fitness information on their phones for keeping the same safely.
Also, you might not be able to receive notifications, download weather updates, and use other similar features that need an online connection.
5. Why is the GPS tracking feature important in a hiking watch?
GPS tracking holds great significance for individuals who like to hike off the beaten paths. GPS or Global Positioning System makes use of satellites for providing real-time position information.
It is only because of these reasons that hiking watches come equipped with the GPS tracking feature. The hikers who do not like to be tracked while they are on their expeditions might go for hiking watches without GPS tracking features.
The best hiking watches are a blend of the majority of the features that we have enumerated in the sections mentioned above. They should serve as timepieces that are much more than accessories. They are more like companions to their users.
Generally speaking, hiking watches need to have all the special features that hikers and adventurers require in order to enjoy and stay safe during their expeditions. Choosing the perfect and the most fairly-priced hiking watch might be a bit challenging.
Nevertheless, the watches detailed in the above list are quality-oriented, highly reliable, and efficient. Going for any one of these products will lend a completely different kind of experience to your hiking adventure.