This is a complete buyer’s guide to Best Laptop For Drawing in 2020. 🤴
The best part?
All the laptop mentioned in this buyer’s guide is based on the Speed of Hard Drive, Hard Drive Space, RAM, Pen Stylus, Processor and Monitor.
So without further ado, Let’s dive right in this Best Laptop For Drawing buyer’s guide. 🎭
For most artists, it is really comfortable to draw on a graphics tablet and much easier when it is plugged to a laptop or PC. While this makes work easier, being able to draw directly on a laptop screen with the help of a digital pen is even much easier.
In addition, having a laptop you can draw directly on makes drawings far more accurate. In order to join the innovation and flow with the technological trend, there are laptops that make this not only possible but also in the most precise way possible.
Best Laptop For Drawing: Our Top Picks
1. Microsoft Surface Pro 6
This particular line of Microsoft Surface has gained some popularity over the years. With its pen being upgraded regularly, it makes it even more enjoyable and easy to use especially where a drawing is involved.
Microsoft Surface Pro 6 comes in an Intel i5 processor and a RAM of 8GB, this makes it the perfect fit for carrying out drawings on your favorite software without encountering any glitch whatsoever.
This laptop helps you draw better with its great inking capability and also gives your drawings some style, sophistication, and touch of modern-day technology. It comes with a mouse that fits easily with your hand and also allows you to show every single part of your drawings in 3D.
Below are some of the features of the Microsoft Surface Pro 6 that earned it a spot in our list of Best Laptop For Drawing to get in 2020.
- Windows 10 OS that allows you to do even more and get all sophisticated with your drawings.
- Precision ink that allows you to carry out drawings on one hand while correcting your mistakes with a rubber eraser on another.
- A slim and light mouse that easily conforms to your hand, has Bluetooth connectivity and can be easily carried around.
- Very light laptop weighing just 1.7 pounds 😊. This makes it easy to carry it anywhere and draw anywhere you find yourself.
- Battery life lasts all day after a full charge and has a video playback of up to 13.5 hours.
- Intel core processor of the 8th generation that enables more power.
It can be used in three different modes; the laptop model that gives you a complete laptop experience, the tablet mode that allows for an easy and alone tablet experience and studio mode that lets you draw from any angle with the stylus pen.
Although the Microsoft Surface Pro comes in only 128GB of storage, it is budget-friendly and can carry out your drawings effectively.
2. HP Spectre x360: best laptop for drawing and animation
This laptop is an excellent piece of work with a beautiful design. Not only does it come in a very beautiful package, but it also works very well for the purpose of drawing.
It comes in a convertible notebook that has 360 degrees hinges that can be converted into four different modes which to the advantage of artists includes a tablet mode where drawings can be easily carried out.
It doesn’t end there, HP Spectre x360 also comes with an installed Nvidia GeForce MX150 graphics card. The purpose of this card is to produce excellent effects visually on a 15-inch display. It’s HP active pen which comes included in its box also provides a solid user drawing experience.
With the HP Spectre, users get the best drawing performance as a result of its Intel Core processor. It maintains its speed even after extensive use due to the 16GB of DDR4 RAM.
It offers you the luxury of a full day’s work of up to 16 hours’ battery life in a single charge.
Below are some of the features of the HP Spectre x360 that earned it a spot in our list of Best Laptop For Drawing to get in 2020.
- Screen resolution of 1920 x 1080 pixels which gives more than enough screen space for drawing.
- The battery lasts up to sixteen hours after continuous use on a single charge.
- Windows 10 Pro OS which makes it very compatible with a variety of drawing software and provides great user drawing experience
- It comes with a graphics coprocessor of Intel UHD Graphics 360
- It has a memory speed of 2133 MHz which makes your work even faster to process.
- USB 3.0 port that allows for easy and fast transfer of any type of files and data.
An 8th Generation Intel Core Processor of i7-8550U allows for a really smooth working performance every single time and regardless of the nature of the task being carried out.
Overall, the HP Spectre X360 comes in quite weak hinges and a not so great keyboard layout. However, it is fully powered by the Intel Core i7 Processor of the 8th generation and can also be paired with up to 16GB of RAM which provides you with excellent ease of use.
At the time of our research on “Best Laptop For Drawing”, we found a video about “25 DRAWING TRICKS TO DRAW LIKE A PRO” which is worth watching. 🏆🏆
3. Lenovo Flex 5 Laptop For Drawing
This is one of the best laptops to use for every budding artist. With a 14-inch display, it possesses really great viewing and displays colors that are bright. The presence of a 360-inch hinge allows you to use this laptop in whatever form you desire.
The Lenovo Flex 5 comes with 128GB SSD with 8GB DDR4 RAM which makes it very suitable for your everyday use. This laptop allows you to carry out heavy tasks of any kind without encountering any glitch.
It also has a fingerprint reader that lets you use the Windows Hello feature to access your laptop easily.
Being a 2-in-1 stylish laptop, it also serves as an entertainment powerhouse which makes your drawing time even more fun and one to constantly look forward to. Its processor is very powerful and gives your drawing experience all the boost it requires.
Below are some of the features of the Lenovo Flex 5 Laptop For Drawing that earned it a spot in our list of Best Laptop For Drawing to get in 2020.
- A 360-degree hinge that offers you great flexibility. It can be flipped into a tablet mode for easy drawing and surfing the web, a tent mode that allows you stream TV shows effortlessly and laptop mode when the situation arises.
- The display screen of HD IPS allows you to work from any angle while providing you with vivid details.
- Narrowed bezels on both screen sides help to provide a viewing experience that is maximized.
- It comes with a touchpad that is updated and as a result, provides comfort when using.
- It has a Lenovo active pen that can be purchased differently and gives life to your ideas with its ink and pen capability.
- Windows 10 OS comes with Cortana which assists in carrying out your tasks in the easiest way possible.
- Battery life can last up to 10 hours depending on the task being carried out.
Overall, the Lenovo Flex 5 is a quite heavy laptop when compared to other drawing laptops but using a laptop bag makes it easier to carry. However, its ability to carry out tasks no matter how heavy they are really making up for its heavy size.
4. Microsoft Surface Go: Best drawing laptop with pen
This laptop is a cheaper alternative to the Microsoft Surface Pro 6. Weighing just 1.3 lbs., this laptop is one with the lightest and smallest surface yet. As a result of its portability, it fits into your bag perfectly.
The Microsoft Surface Go comes with an Intel processor that is powerful and offers you a battery life of up to 9 hours. It is not only fast but also very efficient and comes with lots of unplugged power. Its slim design is suitable or your everyday use.
It has the latest Windows OS design with the presence of Office 365 which offers you a mind-blowing experience.
Below are some of the features of the Microsoft Surface Go that earned it a spot in our list of Best Laptop For Drawing to get in 2020.
- It can be converted into different modes – laptop mode, studio mode and tablet mode depending on whichever way you want it.
- Surface Signature Type Cover offers you a full keyboard experience and provides you a rich color combination that compliments your style.
- Office 365 works really well with all of your Microsoft Office applications.
- One Drive cloud storage of 1 Terabyte provides you with more than enough room to store your drawing files.
- Its surface pen allows you to draw in the most natural form possible while making use of precision ink on one end and a rubber eraser on another end.
- The surface mobile mouse grants you a precise control and navigation experience.
- 10-inch high-resolution display that makes drawing easier.
Although the Microsoft Surface Go is not as powerful as Microsoft Surface Pro 6, it still offers quite an experience for users with a tight budget.
5. Microsoft Surface Book 2
This laptop is one of the best laptop options to go for when drawing for artists who are willing to spend much. It comes with the versatility of four different modes which makes it quite different when compared with other laptops its type.
It comes with a studio mode that makes drawing and painting very easy and flexible with the use of its Microsoft Surface Pen features.
In addition, it can also handle heavy graphics tasks with ease and gives you a beautiful end result. Its 10-point multi-touch support takes your drawing to a whole different level with beautiful display colors at your disposal.
Its hardware comes in two different varieties for you to choose from; it comes in a 7th Generation Intel Core i5 dual-core processor and 8th Generation Intel Core i5 quad-core processor. Whichever one you choose is guaranteed to provide you with the result you so desire.
Below are some of the features of the Microsoft Surface Book 2 that earned it a spot in our list of Best Laptop For Drawing to get in 2020.
- The surface pen has a pressure sensitivity of 4,096 levels which provides you with awesome drawing experience.
- Best graphic performance all day with its powerful software.
- The versatility that adapts to whichever way you decide to create.
- A backlit keyboard that allows you to create regardless of the lighting condition.
- Provides the best Microsoft innovations including 3D experiences.
- The flexibility that allows you to convert it into any mode that works best for you at any given point in time.
- Its studio lets you draw in a very comfortable and natural position.
- It let you use voice commands when interacting with Cortana.
The Microsoft Surface Book 2 might be a quite expensive laptop but it is one that gives you a run for your money. It provides you with accuracy, precision and flawless results that help you take your drawing to the next level.
6. Dell XPS 13: best laptop for drawing and video editing
Of all 2-in-1 convertible notebooks suitable for drawing, Dell XPS 13 is one of the best. It can be used in multiple modes conveniently in whatever way you choose. It has an InfinityEdge touchscreen and is known to be the world’s smallest 13-inch 2-in-1 notebook of its kind.
With a screen that offers excellent viewing experience, this laptop is about to blow your mind off with its very detailed QHD resolution. In addition to this, it comes in a 360-degree hinge that provides flexibility in four different positions – laptop, tent, stand and tablet position.
When it comes to storage, users can always choose between 128GB and 256GB where SSD storage is concerned. It also comes in Intel Core i5 and Core i7 Processors offering up to 16GB RAM.
Below are some of the features of the Dell XPS 13 that earned it a spot in our list of Best Laptop For Drawing to get in 2020.
- InfinityEdge screen 4mm wide that provides an excellent user experience.
- It has an anti-reflective screen that allows you to enjoy working both indoors and outdoors with ease.
- It has the capability to respond to your voice with the help of its built-in microphones from up to 14 feet away.
- Its Type-C ports let you charge your laptop while connecting to several devices at the same time.
- It is very portable and can be carried anywhere you choose with much ease.
- it is very durable as a result of its aluminum body, the presence of a Gorilla Glass 4 makes it twice as resistant to damage when compared to other laptops.
Overall, the stylus pen that comes with Dell XPS 13 is not the best when it comes to drawing, but it can always be replaced with another compatible one that allows you to draw in the most comfortable position.
7. Samsung Chromebook Pro
When it comes to Chromebooks, they are easily overlooked where a drawing is concerned. However, this laptop comes with a really great OS that is not only lightweight but also super-efficient.
This simply implies that it doesn’t require being run on top-end hardware. Putting this into consideration can save you a lot of money.
You get to select your preferred drawing applications from its store without worrying about your laptop’s ability to handle the pressure. It also works with very powerful speed and can be easily converted to any form you deem fit. With this laptop, you can always access your applications whether or not you are online.
Below are some of the features of the Samsung Chromebook Pro that earned it a spot in our list of Best Laptop For Drawing to get in 2020.
- The built-in pen allows you to pen down your ideas whether you are doodling or sketching in a very detailed manner.
- Intel Core m3 works in a really fast and efficient manner and runs all your software with the required speed.
- It adapts easily to whatever task it is you are carrying out, whether as a laptop or as a tablet and in whatever mode.
- It allows you to keep track of your applications wherever you find yourself regardless of internet connection.
- It has an average battery life of up to 9 hours after a full charge.
- A pen can be used to unlock the device, take a screenshot and magnify your tasks.
Although the Samsung Chromebook Pro comes in an Intel Core M3 processor with just 4GB RAM, it still has the capacity to carry out any task on the Chrome OS. Not only that, it also comes equipped with all the horsepower you need.
8. Lenovo Yoga 920
This laptop comes with a 13.9-inch display that takes drawing to a whole new level. Powered by the 8th generation Intel Core i7 processor, it provides a large amount of 16GB RAM. In addition, its storage can also be supported with SSD storage of up to 1 Terabyte.
With its active Pen 2, drawing is as comfortable as when using a normal pen as the pen comes with a 4,096 sensitivity level. According to its user’s preference, it can be switched to different modes while performing tasks effectively.
The unique aspects of this laptop are its aesthetics and portability. It offers great sound quality which makes listening to music while drawing much fun. With updated windows 10 OS, it provides you with top-notch features which makes your drawings more fun.
Below are some of the features of the Lenovo Yoga 920 that earned it a spot in our list of Best Laptop For Drawing to get in 2020.
- Very active Pen 2 that allows for easy navigation on its 13.9-inch screen. Its screen is really responsive which makes navigation even easier.
- Windows 10 can be booted easily as a result of its 512GB solid drive.
- You can see more of your videos with its ultra-thin bezels.
- Has an integrated graphics solution that can effectively carry out your creative tasks.
- Eye-catching hinges that allow for easy conversion into any form.
Although Lenovo Yoga 920 is not the most affordable laptop when considering Best Laptop For Drawing, its price is still fairly decent when compared to some other laptops. Also, the level of productivity you derive from using it is worth the price.
Best Laptop For Drawing: What To Consider
Drawing comes in various forms which is why the type of drawing engaged in determines what to look out for in a laptop required for drawing. This will prevent you from spending too much money on a laptop that is not necessarily needed.
Below is a list of few things to put into consideration when considering the Best Laptop For Drawing.
Speed of Hard Drive:-
The speed of the hard drive directly affects the speed of your work so in order not to waste precious time, it is better to go for a laptop with just the right hard drive speed. It comes in different speeds measured in RPM.
For a laptop meant for drawing, the hard drive speed should be at least 7200RPM. In cases where the speed is not listed on the laptop, it is better to make adequate inquiries before purchasing the Best Laptop For Drawing.
Hard Drive Space:-
The size of your work files determines the minimum hard drive space to go for when considering a laptop for drawing. A hard drive space of at least 1Terabite is recommended. This will give more than enough room for your drawing software and files.
The importance of RAM is that it helps you put your artworks on screen before you finally save the end result. The RAM size, therefore, determines how much on-screen art you can have on your laptop.
The higher the RAM, the more artwork you can save. In order to effectively do this, at least 4GB of RAM is recommended for light drawings. If your drawings will be heavier, then 8GB of RAM is recommended.
In order to carry out drawings effectively on a laptop, a stylus pen should be included and a nice one at that. The pen is what enables you to draw directly on the laptop screen so it has to be really comfortable.
For a drawing laptop, it is recommended to go for at least one with a dual-core processor. However, if you will be doing more such as 3D rendering, then you can opt for a laptop with a higher processor.
An LCD monitor that has a very high resolution and also a lot of pixels will do well for a drawing laptop. This is because the amount of pixels determines the amount of work you can have displayed on your laptop’s screen.
For the purpose of drawing, purchasing a laptop with at least 1600 pixels is recommended as it will give you just enough work area to carry out your task and also display all your palettes and controls. In addition to this, a glossy monitor screen is also recommended.
All the above-mentioned laptops in our Best Laptop For Drawing lists have their own distinct function when it comes to a drawing laptop and each will provide you with great user experience in its own way. You can rest assured to get your money’s worth when settling for either of the laptops.