Do you have the curiosity to know about the Best Laptops For Online Teaching to buy in 2021? 🤔 You can easily Find out now in this definitive list with our detailed review.
Without any further delay let’s find out. 🔎🔎
There is no denying that laptops are now the chosen ones over a PC. The need to worry about essential features like a webcam, dominant OS, user interface, is not there. These come in-built within the laptop.
Not to mention, microphones are also present in them. They are internally fixed, and in some cases, you prefer using a headset that usually tends to break down very often. There is no reason why you cannot provide your students with quality education using a decent laptop.
Teachers will know that the desktop can help you during your classroom sessions. It can either online or in a school. That is because it can affect your session in a good or bad way.
A PC or laptop is something that you need to think hard about before deciding on the device. Choosing laptops from the wide range of devices you currently have in the market may seem like a tedious task for you.
However, it does not have to be when you know where and how to look for it.
Why should you get a laptop? 🐱💻
Since you are planning to teach online, why not a desktop? However, if this is your first time in online teaching, then you might stay away from the PC — the simple reason for that being, mobility, and portability.
Of course, you cannot carry the PC around with you in your home, office (if you work), or elsewhere. The main reason you want to teach online is mobility. You want to work at your own pace and timing.
There is no need to limit yourself to your work at the home desk when you can sit in your backyard or inside your favorite coffee shop, and take lessons for students a thousand miles away. Hence, a laptop would be the ideal device that can immensely benefit your online teaching goals.
Mobility is significantly appreciated (online teachers will tell you so) when you can just pick up from where you left.
For online teaching, your laptop should be either Windows or iOS powered. Usually, laptops come in 13-15″ screen size, which is fine. Of course, it has to be lightweight. You do not want to be carrying a 3kg laptop with you when traveling.
Below we have provided you with a list of 13 of the best laptops for online teaching. Our list covers the specifications, pros, and cons, and in the end, we have recommended the best laptop based on our research.
Best Laptops For Online Teaching: Our Top Picks
1. Apple MacBook Air
This laptop is lightweight and thin. Not to mention, it is extremely powerful, and you can get all your tasks completed without any hassle. The screen comes with a 13″ display. It also comes with a 12 hours battery backup.
This high-performance laptop also comes with a quality webcam and touch screen that makes your job easier. It is expensive. But, if you are an Apple fan or tend to use their products, then you should consider investing in this.
It comes with a 4.5/5 star product rating and has more than 300 positive feedback from customers on Amazon.
- Touch ID
- Apple-designed keyboard
- Intel Core i5 processor
- SSD Storage
- Comes with 12 hours battery 🔋 life
Below are some of the Pros and Cons of the Apple MacBook Air that earned it a spot in our list of Best Laptops For Online Teaching to get in 2021.
- The Macbook Air is lightweight. Portability is not an issue with this device in your bag.
- It is quite thin, which means you can place it in your backpack or travel back and move around quite quickly during travel.
- It is a high-performance device, thanks to ultra-tech hardware. Its rivals are yet to match its performance.
- It is expensive. If you are on a budget, then you may want to rethink it. Not everybody can afford it.
- Apple iOS has always been an issue with a few Windows users. Hence, they may prefer using Windows OS.
2. Microsoft Surface Pro 6
The laptop is from the stable of Microsoft. You can use it both as a laptop as well as a tablet. This is the ideal alternate for the MacBook. The camera is excellent and is powered by the Windows 10 OS.
The main highlight of this laptop is that it comes with a 13.5 battery backup of video usage. Extremely ideal for online teaching purposes.
It comes with a 4.3/5 product rating. The device has received more than 200 positive feedback from customers on Amazon.
- Comes with excellent power.
- It is lightweight and slim weighing 1.7 pounds.
- All-day battery life, with up to 13.5 hours of video playback.
Below are some of the Pros and Cons of the Microsoft Surface Pro 6 that earned it a spot in our list of Best Laptops For Online Teaching to get in 2021.
- Surface Pro 6 can be used both as a laptop or a tablet. It depends on the user.
- The laptop is extremely lightweight, and you can carry it around — ideal for frequent travelers.
- When you are teaching online, the touch screen is an excellent feature to have at hand.
- The price is just right. Suitable for both students and teachers. If you are looking for the rightly priced device, then look no further.
- Here is a bonus pointer you can stand out from the crowd when you use one in the library or coffee shop.
- Remember, it is a hybrid device. Hence, some of you may get used to it, while others might take a little longer. The detaching keyboard can be annoying.
- Unfortunately, it comes with a 12.3″ screen, which is definitely small by all means.
3. HP Chrome Book
This 14″ laptop comes with a touchscreen and powerful specifications. You can do the usual tasks on the device. When you are looking for a budget laptop that can help you get by things, then look no further.
It comes with a 4.4/5 star product rating. More than 100 customers have provided it with positive feedback on Amazon.
- 14-inch Touchscreen HD (1366 x 768).
- HP true vision HD Webcam
- The battery life of 10 hours.
- Google Chrome OS.
- Weight 3.4 lbs.
Below are some of the Pros and Cons of the HP Chrome Book that earned it a spot in our list of Best Laptops For Online Teaching to get in 2021.
- It is a lightweight device. Students and working professionals will find it easy to carry and move around.
- It is affordable.
- This is a touchscreen device. Ideal for activities like online teaching. Students who want a heavy-duty and budget-friendly laptop can also use it.
- Since it is a Chrome book, new users may find it difficult initially to handle it. However, you will get used to its features with time.
- The laptop does not come with high specifications or is a fancy one. It is priced right and has just the right amount of features in it.
At the time of our research on “Best Laptops For Online Teaching”, we found a video about “My Top 5 Online Education Tools: Best Apps and Sites for Teaching and Learning” which is worth watching. 🏆
4. Samsung 15.0
This is one of the premium laptops. Its size and weight are commendable. It is not only ideal for online teaching, but for performing a wide range of tasks. With a battery backup of almost 20 hours, you know that you have hit the jackpot here.
If you like to use Samsung products and need a high-performance device, then this is the best option.
It comes with a 4.1/5 star product rating and has received more than 50 positive feedback from customers on Amazon.
- Series Notebook 9.
- Operating System Windows 10 Home 64-Bit
- Screen Size 15.0″, Style Thin and Light.
- Weight 2.84 lbs.
- Battery Life – 19.5hrs.
Below are some of the Pros and Cons of the Samsung 15.0 that earned it a spot in our list of Best Laptops For Online Teaching to get in 2021.
- The best alternative to the MacBook. Though some of the specifications may not match, it is close enough and provides you with a solid experience.
- It is a premium laptop, and the price matches it.
5. Dell XPS 13 9360 13.3″
The Dell XPS 13″ was initially released for high-end gamers. With powerful specifications, the laptop is now used for several purposes. It is as good as the MacBook. Users have commended the device on its overall performance. It is a small but excellent device to have with you.
The Dell XPS has a 3.8/5 star product rating and has received more than 60 positive feedback from customers on Amazon.
- 13.3″ FHD (1920 x 1080) Touch Display.
- 8GB of 2133 MHz LPDDR3 SDRAM
- Built-in Webcam, SD family
- Wi-Fi 802.11ac, Bluetooth 4.1.
- Windows 10 Home (64-bit)
Below are some of the Pros and Cons of the Dell XPS 13 9360 13.3″ that earned it a spot in our list of Best Laptops For Online Teaching to get in 2021.
- The Dell XPS owner can be proud of the fact that it comes with a beautiful screen. The visuals are breathtaking and can give the MacBook a run for their money.
- The body is slim and thin, making it ideal for portability.
- There is no dearth of performance, making it an ideal device for online teachers.
- The laptop comes with a 13″ screen, which can be slightly frustrating if you plan to do tasks related to video editing.
6. HP Pavillion 15.6″
The HP Pavillion is a mid-range laptop that can help you get your work done. No fancy stuff, just the right amount of hardware loaded in it. The device is priced reasonably well and suitable for both teachers as well as students.
It comes with a 3.8/5 product rating and has received more than 200 positive feedback from customers on Amazon.
- Intel Core i5-7200U
- 8GB DDR4 SDRAM
- 15.6 in diagonal HD SVA WLED-backlit touchscreen (1366 x 768)
- 10-finger multi-touch support
- Multi-format digital media card reader
Below are some of the Pros and Cons of the HP Pavillion 15.6″ that earned it a spot in our list of Best Laptops For Online Teaching to get in 2021.
- This is a powerhouse of a laptop.
- It provides you with a quality performance.
- Ideal for tasks like online teaching and art.
- It is a no-frills laptop that comes with the right amount of performance.
- Some users might not like the fact that there is no touchscreen.
- It is not lightweight.
7. ASUS VivoBook 15.6″
The ASUS VivoBook is lightweight and affordable. When compared to the MacBook or the Dell XPS, the performance is excellent. However, this is a workhorse. With a massive screen of 15.6, you are getting a unique device, priced quite cheaper than other models mentioned in this list.
The product comes with a 3.4/5 product rating and has received more than 1000 positive feedback from customers.
- Powerful 8th Generation Intel Core i5 8250U
- 15.6 inches Anti-glare full HD display
- 8GB DDR4 RAM and 1TB HDD
- Ergonomic chiclet keyboard with a fingerprint sensor
Below are some of the Pros and Cons of the ASUS VivoBook 15.6″ that earned it a spot in our list of Best Laptops For Online Teaching to get in 2021.
- The performance of the laptop is decent.
- Coming from the stable of ASUS, users know that there are handling a suitable device.
- The design of the laptop is slim and ideal for carrying around and performing several tasks.
- Unfortunately, the hard drive that is 1 TB tends to slow down the overall performance of the laptop.
- There is no touchscreen present in this device can be annoying for students and teachers, when presented.
8. Lenovo Premium 15.6” FHD
This is a mid-range laptop that comes with the hardware that you need to get your work completed. You could call it the run of the mill laptop. It is neither lightweight nor beautiful as you can say it, and thin.
With the help of the processor and SSD, your heavy tasks and video editing work will be a breeze.
The device has a 3.4/5 product rating and has received more than 80 positive feedback from customers on Amazon.
- 15.6-inch Full HD (1920×1080) LED-backlit Anti-glare Display
- Backlit Keyboard
- Media Card Reader
- Fingerprint Reader
- Windows 10 Professional 64-Bit
- Weighs only 3.74 lbs
Below are some of the Pros and Cons of the Lenovo Premium 15.6” FHD that earned it a spot in our list of Best Laptops For Online Teaching to get in 2021.
- The laptop comes with excellent capabilities when compared to a premium laptop.
- The specifications are suitable for the price.
- It comes with a 15.6″ screen that is ideal for performing a wide range of tasks.
- There is no touchscreen.
- It is comparatively heavier than other laptops.
9. Apple MacBook Pro
The MacBook is always the right choice when you want to use it for teaching. Though Windows users might argue with that, the device has been designed ideally for educational purposes. The only drawback is its pricing.
It comes with a 4.1/5 product star rating and has received more than 400 positive customer feedback on Amazon.
- 2.3GHz dual-core Intel Core i5 Processor
- Brilliant Retina Display
- Ultrafast SSD
- Up to 10 hours of battery life
Below are some of the Pros and Cons of the Apple MacBook Pro that earned it a spot in our list of Best Laptops For Online Teaching to get in 2021.
- The MacBook comes with all the features you want.
- It comes with a 15″ screen that is suitable for presentation and online teaching.
- Users would be delighted with the 10 hours battery back up
- The Ultrafast SSD provides it with ultimate performance.
- The visuals are delightful and to detail.
- The pricing can be a big let off.
10. Dell Inspiron 15″
The Dell Inspiron comes with the right amount of RAM and hardware required for your everyday tasks. Unfortunately, users have felt that the 1 TB hard drive for SSD is a must if you want better performance from it.
It comes with a 3.5/5 product rating and has received more than 200 positive feedback from customers.
- 15.6″ Touchscreen True-life LED-Backlit Full HD (1920 x 1080) Display
- 8th Gen Intel Quad Core i5-8250U Processor (1.6GHz, up to 3.4GHz, 6MB Cache)
- Backlit Keyboard
- Integrated Widescreen HD Webcam
- Stereo Speakers with MaxxAudio Pro Audio Processing
- Windows 10 Home (64-bit)
Below are some of the Pros and Cons of the Dell Inspiron 15″ that earned it a spot in our list of Best Laptops For Online Teaching to get in 2021.
- The screen is quite large at 15.6″.
- The device provides excellent performance and browsing capabilities.
- It comes with a backlit feature that is ideal for students and working professionals who work late at night.
- The webcam features and the processor is one of the best among Dell products.
- Sadly, it comes without a graphics card and has the Intel Core i5. Tasks like animation and gaming can be annoying at slow speeds.
Best Laptops For Online Teaching: What To Consider
Choosing a laptop from the full range of products available in the market can be a problem. But, there are a few critical factors that you need to consider. Doing that will help you narrow down your choice.
The screen size would be the main factor to consider, especially if you plan on performing tasks like online teaching. Ideally, laptops come with 13″ and 15″. Desktops are of 17″ or more in size.
But, we will stick on to laptops here. The 13″ screen is ideal for those involved only in online teaching. Not to mention, a 13″ enables you to carry the device around with you anytime. If you are a frequent traveler, then this will come in handy.
The 15″ screen is the next size we will be talking about. Preferably, this is the ideal size for all your teaching needs. It is just perfect for you to place inside your backpack. You can also carry it around with you wherever you want with ease.
So, we would recommend you purchase the 15.6″ laptops sold by popular brands like Apple, Dell, Samsung, and others. For optimum performance, you might want to add a built-in graphics card and a touch screen.
Is the touch screen required?
As far as online teaching is concerned, a touchscreen laptop can either make or break your experience. For example, you can perform a wide range of tasks like circle items during your presentation, write points on the go, have better flexibility, and fun when you are teaching.
In some cases, when you do not have a functional mouse, then you can make use of the touchscreen. Sometimes, the mouse can malfunction when you are taking a class. Perhaps, you are having an important presentation; you can easily complete your session with a touchscreen device.
Additional laptop Features:-
Storage space – The first thing you want to remember is that your laptop should have SSD and not HDD. The storage space is crucial for any laptop. In online teaching, you may have to store plenty of details not about your subjects, but also student details.
Battery life – A good battery backup life of 8 or more hours is a must. Though when teaching online, you can plug-in the laptop. However, when you plan on taking your classes outdoors like a coffee house or from the park, then you need adequate power backup.
Weight – A laptop that weighs more than 5 lbs is heavy. Unless you are physically fit or do not mind carrying heavy laptops, then you may want to look for slim and lightweight laptops.
Graphics card – Whether you are a student or teacher, you may want to play the occasional games. For that, you need a good graphics card.
RAM – The RAM is usually around 8 GB. Today, you can find laptops with 16 GB, too, which is quick enough. However, do not opt for 4 GB.
Processor – Apart from the motherboard, the processor of your laptop plays a significant role in the performance of your device. Premium laptops have excellent processors, but budget laptops do not have decent processors.
Operating system – Last, but not least, you need to consider the operating system of the laptop. Though, you can always go with Windows like everybody else. But, nobody has complained about using the iOS Mac or Chrome iOS.
No matter the operating system you decide to make use of, you are in safe hands.
If you are a teacher, then you can become overwhelmed with the number of laptops available in the market. Choosing the best laptop for online teaching does not come with a formula. But, you need to understand your requirements, your budget, and your battery life.
We cannot tell you how important it is to choose a laptop with a sufficient battery life of 8 or more hours. Laptops come with several advantages over other devices like the tablet and the PC as far as online teaching is concerned.
A lightweight, decent performance, excellent webcam, and touch screen features, if possible, would make a good laptop. Based on the research, we have decided that the Surface Pro 6 by Microsoft is the ideal device for online teaching.
It is reasonably priced, and the performance is decent. There is a touch screen, and it is reliable. Microsoft products have never let you down. This is your best option when you intend to teach students through the internet.
However, you can go through the above list and make a decision on what is best for you.