Do you have the curiosity to know about the best mechanical pencil for drawing to buy in 2021? 🤔 You can easily Find out now in this definitive list with our detailed review.
Without any further delay let’s find out. 👓👓
As an artist, having the right tools can make your job a lot easier as the perfect tools allow you to do your job more effectively and efficiently.
Things that you could have otherwise spent a lot of time when done with normal tools would be easily accomplished within a fraction of the time when you use the perfect device for the job.
One of the best devices used by artists and technicians when it comes to drawing is a mechanical pencil. A mechanical pencil was originally created to be used as a technical drawing tool, but it has since been deployed by artists and technicians in recent years to make high-end sketches, drawings, and neat writings. 😊
It has been preferred to normal drawing pencils by artists, technicians, and students mainly because it doesn’t require any sharpening and it is very easy to control.
Another reason why mechanical pencils have been preferred as the ideal pencil for drawings is the fact that it is able to offer a much more consistent drawing with lesser pressure and they can be easily tweaked by the artist to bring out the exact level of thickness that would still be great to see.
The pointed edge can also be extended and replaced when the need arises and the pen is refillable.
If you are thinking of getting a mechanical pencil for your drawing needs as an artist, we would strongly advise you not to invest in any product at all until you have read this buying guide.
In this guide, we have put together a list of the best mechanical pencils for your drawing needs that you can currently get in the market.
As a matter of fact, we have made sure all the picks in this guide have everything that you would desire in a mechanical pencil.
The products on this list offer precision, durability, and consistency in creating the desired drawings you need. By reading this article, you can also be sure of getting the best products in the market that offers great value for your money while still paying much attention to quality.
Best Mechanical Pencil For Drawing: Our Picks 👌
Provided below are the best mechanical pencils that would help you greatly in making the best sketches and drawings.
1. MozArt Supplies Essential Mechanical Pencil Set
The MozArt Supplies Essential Mechanical Pencil is a highly functional product that would bring out the best for you as an artist whenever you need to draw, sketch, or write.
This mechanical pencil is used by a lot of professionals as it is compatible with the use of a lot of other professionals aside from artists. It is used by engineers, technicians, architectures, etc. to execute their professional drawings, write, sketch and achieve a smooth output that is resistant to smudge.
This product comes with four tip sizes ranging from 0.3, 0.5, 0.7, and 0.9mm and the pack also contains HB lead and eraser refills. This MozArt mechanical pencil is offering great control to the artist as it offers an easy grip and compactness.
It is also built to be lightweight and it comes with a clip for easy stacking and portability. A great selling point with this mechanical pencil is the fact that it offers great ease of use and this means it is not only made for professionals.
As a matter of fact, students and kids who are just starting to learn the art of drawing would find this mechanical pencil very useful as it is easy to use and offers great control for the users which is suitable for learners which makes it perfectly fit in our best mechanical pencil for drawing 2021 lists.
Below are some of the Pros and Cons of The MozArt Supplies Essential Mechanical Pencil Set that earned it a spot in our list of Best Mechanical Pencil For Drawing to get in 2021.
- This mechanical pencil offers a firm grip and utmost control which makes it very easy to use.
- It comes with four tips sizes that allow the artist to make the desired choice for each sketch and drawing.
- It is very lightweight and portable, just as the perfect drawing pencil should be.
- Its ease of use makes it the perfect option for students and kids who are just starting the art of drawing.
- At the price of just about $11, it is quite affordable.
- For a mechanical pencil that functions so well and has great all-around reviews, the casing sucks and needs to be upgraded.
- The lead tends to break off easily and gets stuck in the pencil sometimes.
2. ExcelFu 6 Pieces 2.0 mm Mechanical Pencils
The ExcelFu 6 Pieces 2.0 mm Mechanical Pencils is a drawing pencil that is designed for professionals. This product comes with 6 cases of lead refills, 3 of which are black and the other three colors.
This mechanical pencil is very suitable for drawing, sketching, writing, crafting, and carpentry. This product offers a comfortable writing experience as it is designed with rubber and metal materials.
It also comes with a non-slip design that allows the user to get a real grip when drawing. If you are looking for a durable mechanical pencil that would not break easily, this is the option for you as it is designed to be sturdy and lasts long.
With its 2.0 mm diameter black and color refills, you are provided with a tool that would help you in finishing your drawings, sketches, and writings effectively.
With an average rating of 4.7 out of 5 on Amazon, you don’t need to be told that this is a very good product that is capable of helping you with all your drawings and bringing out the best in you at all times.
Below are some of the Pros and Cons of The ExcelFu 6 Pieces 2.0 mm Mechanical Pencils that earned it a spot in our list of Best Mechanical Pencil For Drawing to get in 2021.
- This mechanical pencil comes with a very comfortable design that makes it very easy to use by the artist.
- It can be used for many other things aside from drawing, as it is suitable for carpentry, sketching, writing, crafting, etc.
- It comes with 6 cases of lead refill which means you can’t be left stranded when you exhaust the lead.
- There is a sharpener in the cap of the mechanical pencil that allows you to sharpen the lead refills easily.
- The pencils are sturdy and built to be durable.
- The mechanical pencils do not come with an eraser and you may have to invest in one yourself.
3. Jovitec 21 Pieces 2.0 mm Mechanical Pencil Set
The Jovitec 21 Pieces 2.0 mm Mechanical Pencil Set offers precision and accuracy when you use it to make your drawings and artistic sketches.
This mechanical pencil comes in 21 pieces set which is made up of 9 pieces 2.0 mm mechanical pencils of colors blue, silver and black.
The set also contains 6 cases of black lead refills (consisting of 9 pieces per case) and 6 cases of colored refills (which consists of 12 pieces per case). It comes with a very comfortable design that makes it convenient and easy to use as it is built with rubber and metal designs.
It also comes with non-slip features that allow the artists to get a real grip on the mechanical pencil when drawing.
It is not a hidden fact that artists love to experiment with colors when drawing, and this mechanical pencil provides the artists with the perfect platform to experiment with colors depending on their needs as it comes with 54 pieces 2.0 mm black refills and 72 pieces of colored refills that allows you to change the color as you desire.
Overall, this is a good writing tool that is easy to use and offers you the necessary features to make the perfect professional drawings at all times which makes it put in our best mechanical pencil for drawing list.
Below are some of the Pros and Cons of The Jovitec 21 Pieces 2.0 mm Mechanical Pencil Set that earned it a spot in our list of Best Mechanical Pencil For Drawing to get in 2021.
- This mechanical pencil offers accuracy and precision in drawing that makes it such a good fit for artists and other professionals for drawing, sketching, and other needs.
- This product is built to be comfortable and easy to use.
- It comes with a non-slip feature that allows the artist to get a real grip on it.
- It allows the artist to explore colors when drawing as it comes with about 72 pieces of colored refills.
- The lead refills can be easily sharpened as the cap of the mechanical pencil comes with a sharpener.
- This mechanical pencil does not come with an eraser and you would need to buy one for your drawing use.
- The lead may break up sometimes and get stuck in the pencil.
4. Staedtler Mars Drafting Mechanical Pencil
The Staedtler Mars Drafting Mechanical Pencil is arguably one of the best drawing pencils out there. With 4.8 ratings out of a possible 5 on Amazon, you probably don’t need further attestation to the quality that this superbly built mechanical pencil offers.
The product comes with four tip sizes ranging to 0.3, 0.5, 0.7, and 0.9 mm that allow the artist to easily choose the perfect fit for drawings.
You should know that this product comes at a price that is maybe 3 times as high as some of the mechanical pencils we have on this list, however, it makes up for the increased cost by offering great features that would give you the best output at all times when you use this mechanical pencil for drawing.
It comes with ISO color coding on the barrel and push-button while you also get an adjustable hardness degree indicator that allows you to create the perfect drawings and writings.
You also don’t have to worry about getting a real grip on this mechanical pen as it comes with a non-slip feature that allows you to get a firm hold on it.
This product also comes with a chrome-plated metal clip and tip as well as an aluminum hardness degree ring. At 1.28 ounces, it comes at a weight that is light enough and easily handled, while it is also built to be sturdy and durable for long-term use.
Below are some of the Pros and Cons of The Staedtler Mars Drafting Mechanical Pencil that earned it a spot in our list of Best Mechanical Pencil For Drawing to get in 2021.
- It comes with ISO color coding on a barrel and a push button.
- This mechanical pencil comes with a non-slip design that allows the artist to get a real grip on it when drawing.
- It comes with four tip sizes that allow the artist to choose the perfect tip size that fits a particular drawing.
- It is sturdily built and designed to be durable for long-term use.
- It comes with a chrome-plated metal clip and tip as well as an aluminum hardness degree ring.
- This mechanical pencil does not come with an eraser and you would need to invest in that differently as you would need it for your drawings.
- At a price of around $27, this mechanical pencil is quite expensive.
At the time of our research on “Best Mechanical Pencil For Drawing”, we found a video about “Mechanical Pencil VS Wooden Pencil” which is worth watching. 🏆
5. Leda Mechanical Colored Pencil Set
The Leda Mechanical Colored Pencil Set is another product we are very confident to recommend to our esteemed readers as it posses all the features that would make every artist fall in love with it.
This mechanical pencil makes drawing very easy and it is relied on by a great number of artists all over the world to create the perfect drawing at all times.
This product comes with ten colors from which you can choose for your drawing needs as each case has red, yellow, blue, green, purple, brown, orange, grey and white-colored leads.
The set comes with an additional black lead which makes a total of 19 leads to choose from. Each lead is 3.5 inches long and each is housed in a 6.25-inch polymer barrel that is comfortable and easy to grasp for precise art-making.
When you exhaust all the leads that come with this set of mechanical pencils, you would have no problem getting new ones as you can easily refill the barrel with leads of all sizes that are available in the market.
You also get a lead sharpener as part of the package when you get this mechanical pencil and you are also afforded the best technical support at all times. Should you need to draw on your travels, there is absolutely no problem as this mechanical pencil is travel-friendly, compact, and easy to pack around.
You only need to drop it in your purse or backpack and you are good to go that’s the main reason to put in our best mechanical pencil for drawing lists.
Below are some of the Pros and Cons of The Leda Mechanical Colored Pencil Set that earned it a spot in our list of Best Mechanical Pencil For Drawing to get in 2021.
- This mechanical pencil comes in ten different colors from which you can choose for your drawing needs.
- It is compact and easy to carry around.
- You also get the best technical support as the support is just a mail away from answering all your inquiries about the product.
- You won’t be stranded after exhausting all the lead in the set as you can easily buy any kind or size of the lead in the market and it would still work fine.
- This product is beautifully designed with brass finishes that make it very attractive and stylish.
- At a price of $16.47, it is fairly affordable for nearly everyone.
- Some users have complained that the tinting strength is little and leaves some room for improvement.
- This mechanical pencil does not come with erasers and you are likely going to need erasers for your drawing, which leaves you with the option of spending an extra amount on buying erasers.
6. rOtring 1904444 600 Mechanical Pencil
The rOtring brand has been one of the leading brands when it comes to supplying the best mechanical pencils for drawing, sketching, crafting, etc. in the past and you must know they didn’t disappoint with this product.
This product comes in two-barrel colors; silver and black and it is one of the most rated mechanical pencils you can get in the current market. This is actually a drawing tool for a consummate professional and it offers a lot of precision when being put to use.
It comes with a full metal body and comfortable non-slip knurled metal grip for compactness and a real grip when putting to use. At a weight of just 0.64 ounces, this mechanical pencil comes at just the perfect weight for drawing.
It comes with tip sizes of 0.5mm and 0.7mm respectively and it is also enhanced with a brass mechanism that guides the lead advancement to prevent breakage.
It also comes with a lead hardness grade indicator for rapid identification when working and it is designed to be durable and last for a very long time. This mechanical pencil comes with Rapid B erasers that would easily wipe off any kind of mistake you make while drawing.
As part of the package, you would get high polymer rOtring leads which are flexible and in multiple sizes that give you the confidence to draw all you want as you are sure you can’t run out of leads anytime soon.
The rOtring 600 Mechanical Pencil comes with a hexagonal design that ensures it doesn’t slide on the drawing table and it comes with a two-year limited warranty.
This mechanical pencil is one of the most rated options in the market and you would do well to consider investing in one at just $18.30.
Below are some of the Pros and Cons of The rOtring 1904444 600 Mechanical Pencil that earned it a spot in our list of Best Mechanical Pencil For Drawing to get in 2021.
- This product comes with an ergonomically enhanced barrel which provides the ideal balance of weight and feels that allows the artist to work for as long as desired with utmost comfort.
- It is designed to be durable and last a very long time.
- It comes with a brass mechanism that allows for guided lead advancement, thereby preventing breakage.
- It offers ultimate precision when drawing, sketching, or writing.
- This mechanical pencil comes with a lead hardness indicator that allows the artist to identify lead grades while working.
- With a two-year warranty, buyers have a product that offers enough protection for their investment.
- With only tip sizes of 0.5 mm and 0.7 mm, it is not suitable for artists who prefer larger tip sizes.
7. Jimmidda 0.5, 0.7 mm Mechanical Pencils
With a rating of over 4 out of 5 on Amazon and a lot of other merchant sites, the Jimmidda 0.5, 0.7 mm Mechanical Pencils is another great option that is worth taking a look at.
This product offers exciting features that make it a great value for money and you can also be sure of a product that is built to last a lifetime. This mechanical pencil comes with metal grasps that hold the lead firmly thereby leading to a smooth and precise drawing experience.
It is neutral, balanced, and feels solid in hand with a weight that is adequate enough for drawing. You can easily adjust the lock or adjust the length of the lead as you wish and you also get a side-mounted lead advance just near the thumb.
Overall, this is a stylish and beautifully designed mechanical pencil. Aside from the beautiful designs, there are quite a lot of features that make this a standout product.
For instance, it comes with a retractable nib which serves as great protection for the lead and the inside barrel of the pencil also holds a lot of lead that should be enough to complete a lot of drawings, and this means you wouldn’t need to take your refill container along with you each time you are heading out.
Artists also have the option of choosing between two tip sizes of 0.5 mm and 0.7mm respectively.
Below are some of the Pros and Cons of The Jimmidda 0.5, 0.7 mm Mechanical Pencils that earned it a spot in our list of Best Mechanical Pencil For Drawing to get in 2021.
- This mechanical pen comes with a design that makes it very durable and hard to break.
- It offers great precision in drawing and sketching.
- It comes with a retractable nib that helps in protecting the lead and also makes it drop resistant.
- With this product, you don’t need to carry your refill container with you at all times as it comes with a barrel that holds a lot of lead.
- This product is arguably one of the most pleasant in the eye as it comes with an all-around stylish design.
- It comes with a soft and comfortable grip that allows the artist to have total control over it when drawing.
- At a price of $13.99, this mechanical pencil is quite affordable and offers great value for money.
- The eraser included is a small one and you may have to buy a new one. Also, the eraser cover tends to come off too easily.
Best Mechanical Pencil For Drawing: What To Consider
There are some things that you must look out for in a mechanical pencil for drawing. These features and conditions are what separates a great product from a normal one and you would do well to take note of them before paying for any product. They are:
It is very important that a mechanical pencil for drawing offers enough precision when using it to draw. Drawing is an art that needs to be intentional and precise and any mechanical pencil that can’t offer that feature would end up giving you poor drawing which wouldn’t be good.
As such, it is important that any product you decide to choose is able to create precise lines at all times.
Durability is also important as you don’t want to be paying for mechanical pencils every year. It is important that the mechanical pencil you wish to invest on is durable and can last a very long time.
Ideally, you are only expected to replace the lead when it runs out, and not your drawing pencil. Hence, you are advised to buy a mechanical pencil that is durable and can last a long time.
A great mechanical pencil for drawing is supposed to offer great grips when being put to use. If the grip is not solid, it may be hard for the artist to create the perfect drawing.
Hence, you should look for a mechanical pencil with a great grip before buying it. Ideally, the best grips are made from solid and sturdy materials that would be easy to hold and handle.
Although this may not be as important as the other factors listed above, it is still quite important as the leadership capacity of the lead barrel would determine the volume of lead it can hold at a time. The higher the volume of lead the barrel can hold, the better it is.
This is because there are sometimes that you may not be in possession of your refill container and you would need to complete a drawing. With a lead barrel with adequate capacity, you may be able to finish several drawings without having to change the lead and this would come in handy sometimes.
The reviews of the buyers is another thing you must look out for as it would help a great deal in making the right buying decision. Most times, the general reviews and the features listed on the merchant site may not be enough to make the correct buying decision.
As such, you are advised to read the reviews of a set of people who have experienced the product you wish to buy and use the information to make the buying decision.
Most times, when the reviews are largely positive, then you should not hesitate before paying for such a product. If the reviews are poor or negative, you should avoid such a product by all means.
📗FAQ’s on Best Mechanical Pencil For Drawing
Below are a couple of queries on Best Mechanical Pencil For Drawing that everyone is expecting to answer and I did include the same for my readers.
Are mechanical pencils better for drawing?
Yes, Mechanical pencils proves to be more better compared to wooden.
What grade of pencil is used for mechanical drawing?
The hardest standard grade for drafting/drawing pencils is 9H. The softest pencil is grade 6B.
Is 0.5 or 0.7 lead better?
If it's for school writing, use 0.5mm or 0.7mm leads, depending on which you prefer. The 0.7mm leads are thicker, which is better for people who tend to press hard on the pencil when writing. For drawing,use 0.5mm leads, because they're more precise than the 0.7mm leads. Source:- https://m.wikihow.com/Choose-Mechanical-Pencil-Lead
Can you shade with a mechanical pencil?
With a mechanical pencil, smooth shading works best if the lead's tip has been flattened.
All the products that are featured on our list are thoroughly researched and you can be sure you are getting the right product by investing in any of them.
All you need to do to get the best out of each product is to follow every single instruction as stated by the manufacturers and maintain each product in the best possible so that it can continue to function optimally.