This is a complete guide to Best Pen Pal Apps to find a pen pal anywhere in the world.
We downloaded around 23 apps available for the Android & iOS platforms and tested them on our smartphones.
Finally, we came to 9 Of The Best Pen Pal Apps for our readers. 📗
Let’s get started.
Before mobile phones and other forms of modern communication became very affordable and available to virtually everyone, there were different means of communication adopted by people to communicate, especially over long distances.
One communication medium is writing letters and sending them through postal codes to another person. The people sending these letters may be known or unknown to each other, and they usually have common interests.
They are usually referred to as pen-pals, i.e., people who are friends through writing, and these relationships tend to take place between individuals who don’t live in the same city or town most time.
This relationship may last a long time, and it may also have a short period depending on the chemistry and understanding between the pals.
What is constant, however, is that this means of communication has helped a lot of people create and foster relationships with people who are far away from them, and a lot of positives have also come out of these kinds of relationships in the past with some ending up doing significant businesses together, and some of the pals eventually getting married to each other.
Since the advent of modern forms of communication, which have allowed for easier and faster communications across the border, pen-pals have drastically reduced.
However, there are still many individuals who have kept this culture, and the desire to satisfy the yearning of these sets of people has led to the development of various applications for pen pals.
These applications have replaced the postal code as the bridge between these pals and created a real-time platform to send and receive letters between pals.
Best Pen Pal Apps To Connect with People Worldwide
We have come up with a list of the best pen pal apps developed just for you over the past few years to help you keep up with your pen pal and exchange those good old romantic and exciting writings.
Check out our top picks below.
1. Slowly – Connect to the World App
The Slowly – Connect to the World App is arguably the best-rated pen pal app you can currently find on the Play Store. This app is built to help you reenact the good old times of the pen-pal relationship in this modern time.
With this app, you can connect to people of like minds and passion through writing from worldwide. This app differs from regular social media messengers in some aspects to keep that real and traditional feeling that comes with pen pal relationships.
For instance, this is not an instant messaging platform where your letter gets delivered to your pal almost immediately. Instead, the pace of delivery is reduced to match the true pen pal experience.
For instance, the pace at which your letter is delivered to your pal is also tied to your location. This means a letter sent from Brazil to Peru would most likely be delivered faster than another sent from Brazil to Boston in the United States.
Also, this app is developed to send one letter at a time to your pen pal(s). To use this app, you need to access it on the play store, install it on your smartphone and open it.
You will need to choose an avatar and a nickname to get started, after which you would have the liberty to connect with people of like passion and interests from all over the world.
- This app has a user-friendly interface, making it quite easy to use.
- This pen pal app is entirely free to download and install.
- This app matches people from all over the world in interests and languages for a better user experience.
- Unlike social media messengers and apps, this app doesn’t do instant messaging in delivering your letters to your pals to maintain that traditional pen pal experience.
- This app comes with several in-app purchases that would help users to get the best out of it.
2. Speaky – Language Exchange App
One of the main reasons a lot of people engage in a pen pal relationship is to learn a new language or get to understand the culture of a different group of people.
If you are one of the people in for this, the Speaky – Language Exchange App might be your best bet in the current market.
With Speaky, you would have unfiltered access to over 3 million users on the platform for the same reason you are there, i.e., meeting new people from different cultures and languages.
You will also have access to over 110 languages from these participants from all parts of the world. Now, we are talking about significant languages that would interest us, such as French, Spanish, Chinese, German, Arabic, and a host of other top languages.
All you need to do to get started is to install this app from the play store and create a profile for yourself by following the simple steps that the administrator would provide.
Once this is done, you will be asked to choose the languages you are interested in learning, while you will also need to indicate your current proficiency level in such language(s).
Once this stage is passed, you have nothing to worry about again, as Speaky will take care of the rest and match you with the needed people to help you out with your adventure.
With this app, you should know that there is also the chance to use audio messages to communicate with your pen pals.
Another great feature is that you will easily see the list of people of interest currently online once you open the app, which would help you with the whole process.
- This pen pal app allows you to connect to over 3 million people in over 110 languages.
- This app is entirely free to download and use.
- Once you have created a profile and provided your preferences, this app will automatically connect you to people in your areas of interest.
- This app automatically displays people of your interest who are online each time you open it.
- This app allows you to use audio messages to communicate with your pen pals, a feature that should help you get a strong grip on the languages fast.
3. Bottled – Message in a Bottle App
With the Bottled – Message in a Bottle App, you have got a pen pal app that presents you with the good old fun of exchanging messages and letters with your pen pals all over the world, coupled with a full bottle of adventure.
We are quite sure you are going to love this, not just because it comes with a lot of fun, adventure, and the chance to create a fostering relationship with people from all over the world, but because this app is also one of the top-rated apps in the app stores and it comes highly recommended.
The whole experience is traditional, and it is all about sending a message in a bottle to one pen pal from anywhere in the world. Since this app is also developed to favor the one message-at-a-time mode, you can only send one message to a chosen pen pal.
This message contained in a bottle would now be sent to the pal. Once it is delivered, if the chosen pal loves it, you guys will automatically become pen pals, and you will continue chatting and sharing letters and everything from there.
If your message isn’t deemed good enough and rejected by the supposed recipient, it would be thrown into the sea where any random person on the platform could see it.
You would only have a pen until someone, either the first person you sent the bottle to or another random person on the platform, has picked it up and accepted it.
With this app, there are other fun things to do, such as getting involved in quiz competitions to test your knowledge about the world, completing various tricky tasks to unlock new features, and earning different rewards, among other adventures.
- This app is very easy to install and use.
- This pen pal app allows you to meet different individuals worldwide, learn new languages and cultures, and exchange ideas.
- This app allows you to send only one message simultaneously, and you can’t send another until your first message has been received and accepted.
- You get to engage in various adventures like completing different tasks, taking a quiz about the world, etc.
- This app is 100% free to use.
4. Hello Talk – Chat, Speak and Learn Foreign Languages
The Hello Talk – Chat, Speak and Learn Foreign Language app is one of the best pen pal apps for adults who are interested in sharing moments, ideas, writings, and relationships with people from all parts of the world.
This app doesn’t just allow you to send and receive messages from your pen pal(s) and exposes you to a community of people of different languages and cultures.
It also creates the perfect platform for you to mingle and learn from all of these people and get a hold of their language and culture should you wish to do so.
To get started, you need to visit any app store and download and install this app on your device.
After that, you can create your profile and input your preferences regarding the people and language(s) you are interested in.
Once you are done with this, this app will automatically match you with people that fit your desires, and you can start sharing moments, sending and receiving letters and texts, and learning languages.
This app also allows voice messages and video messaging, and these are features that would go a long way in helping your learning process.
There are also salient features such as language translation and transliteration, text-to-speech, grammar correction, and many more features that would help you get a real grip on whichever language you are interested in.
Some of the languages you would get ready-made speakers and pen pals that could help you learn on this platform include; Spanish, French, Chinese, Russian, and Korean, to mention a few.
This app is free to download and comes with a user-friendly interface. Lastly, you should be ready to teach another non-speaker of your native language, as this app also allows you to teach your pen pals your languages and culture.
Below are some of the features of the Hello Talk – Chat, Speak and Learn Foreign Languages App that earned it a spot in our list of Best Spanish pen pal apps to download.
- This pen pal app comes with a lot of learning features that would help you to learn and understand foreign languages in a short period.
- The app has a user-friendly interface that makes it quite easy to use.
- This app is 100 percent free to download and install.
- This app allows you to meet with speakers of top languages like French, Chinese, Spanish, Russian, German, and many more, all of which are willing to meet and teach you.
- This app automatically pairs you with people who match your interests once you have created a profile.
5. airG – Meet New Friends App
The traditional pen pal relationships are mainly for fostering relationships with people far away or around you with similar interests, and that is exactly what the airG app does.
With this app, you can access a worldwide community of over 100 million people. Yes, that’s right, 100 million people from different parts of the world.
Some are in the farthest parts of the world, and some are close to you in your immediate neighborhood. You can create a relationship with all these people, share letters, send messages, hook up and even organize events (for people close to you).
The app lets you see who is online every time, making it easy for you to chat. If you are selective about age, location, language, and other factors that may determine interests, this app helps you select your preferences easily as they are put in different categories.
With this app, there is also the chance to play many fun games that the developers have inserted.
To get this app, go to any app store and install it on your smartphone, tablet, or PC free of charge, and start making new pen pals from all parts of the world.
- This app is home to over 100 million people worldwide, from which you can get your favorite pen pals.
- This app allows you to meet people around you one-on-one and even organize events locally if you desire.
- This pen pal app comes with several fun games.
- This app allows you to easily see who is online each time you log in.
- This app has a user-friendly interface, making it a delight to navigate.
- This app is 100 percent free to download and install.
6. Chat Rooms – Find Friends App
The Chat Rooms – Find Friends App is a unique pen pal app that matches individuals based on interests, provides a thriving platform for them to bond, and fosters long-term relationships.
Just like the name suggests, this app has several rooms that are distinct from each other and are connected by interests.
Each room has a different topic and theme, and every room member is added based on their interest in the topic being discussed in the room. Once you are in a room with people of like interest, you can start chatting.
Please note that the messages you send will be available to everyone at first, and it can even lead to a general topic for discussion in the group.
Should you need to engage in personal discussions with people you find interesting, you can easily message them privately and start a mutual relationship based on your interests.
With this app, you can express yourself in many fun ways, as you have a lot of colorful and animated emojis that can be used creatively to drive your point home.
This app is free to download and allows you to connect with people of like interests from all over the world.
Below are some of the features of the Chat Rooms – Find Friends App that earned it a spot in our list of best international pen pal apps to download.
- This pen pal app has many chat rooms created according to themes and interests.
- This app comes with many colorful and animated emojis that help you express yourself in a fun and creative way.
- With this app, you can send instant messages to people worldwide and create long-lasting bonds with like minds.
- This app is free to download and install.
- This app has a very flexible and easy-to-use interface, making it easy to navigate.
7. Panion – Match, Chat, and Meet with Like-Minded People
The Panion – Match, Chat, and Meet with Like-Minded App is the last pen pal app we recommend to our readers.
This app is one of the best in pure fun, enabling you to meet people of like minds from both near and far.
You can then go on and create a very good relationship with the people you meet, chat, write letters to, and even meet up to do great things together should both parties desire to do so.
This app is one of the best in the market for matching people with the exact type of individuals they desire to meet because they use a matching algorithm that makes matchmaking very accurate.
With this accurate algorithm, you can easily search for people in your city, school, industry, or any other areas that interest you from far and near, and you will be matched with the perfect people.
To use this app, download and install it on your device from any app store. Once this is done, you should create a profile and search for like minds through keywords.
After this, you will be presented with many profiles that you can go through and initiate a conversation.
To start a conversation, click on the profile of the individual you like and send a high five to such a person (it’s the customary conversation starter on this platform).
This would indicate your interest in the person, and such individual(s) would reply to you once they know your message. This app is free to download and install and very simple to use.
Below are some of the features of the Panion – Match, Chat, and Meet with Like-Minded People App that earned it a spot in our list of Best pen pal websites to download.
- This pen pal app allows you to connect, chat and meet with people close and far away.
- The app has a user-friendly interface, making it very simple to navigate.
- This app is free to download and install.
- This app uses a powerful matching algorithm to match people based on interest, making their matching very accurate and fast.
- This app is one of the best in using keywords to find new pen pals.
What is the safest pen pal website?
PenPal World, launched in 1998, links millions of users worldwide through its secure, quick-matching platform.
Members initially communicate directly through the website for security reasons; after that, they switch to email or handwritten letters.
Is there a pen pal app?
Yes, there are some great Pen Pal apps like Slowly, Speaky, Bottled, Hello Talk, Chat Rooms, etc. are some of the best apps you can try for various purposes like finding and meeting new pen friends, exchanging new languages, chatting, learning foreign languages, and much more.
How do I get a pen pal friend?
You can try apps like InterPals, Global Penfriends, Hello Talk, Penpal Party, PenpalsNow, etc., to easily get a pen pal friend from anywhere in the world.
Are there still pen pals?
It’s still possible to mix and make new pen pals. Finding a new writing friend is all you need.
The world of pen pals is still active, despite being a throwback to elementary school. These pen buddy matching websites are now more useful than Eve.
Is PenPal world free?
Reaching out to three members per day is possible with a free membership, while 50 members per day are feasible with a VIP membership (which costs 10 cents per day).
The creators of PenPal World carefully analyze each profile submission and promptly address any highlighted problems or dubious content.
Can adults have penpals?
Yes, of course! Adults can also have pen pals. All you need to do is t explore pen pal apps like Slowly, Speaky, Hello Talk, Chat Rooms, Panion, etc.
Other great sources include international pen pal sites, second language pen pal sites, special interest pen pal sites, and many other digital options.
Is PenPal.me safe?
Yes, PenPal.me is perfectly safe. It is the best platform for quickly and safely matching members. With PenPal, you can communicate with people worldwide and send them online postcards printed and sent by the postal service.
Is Global Penfriends safe?
True friends may be found safely on Global Penfriends. The website invites users to leave comments that others may see. It’s simple to see what the members of Global Penfriends think of the services and safety, thanks to the hundreds of member testimonials.
Is InterPals a good site?
According to 133 customer reviews and a consumer rating of 1.64 stars for InterPals.net, most consumers are typically unsatisfied with their purchases.
The most common complaints about InterPals.net are related to language exchange, false profiles, and issues with real individuals. Among Forum websites, InterPals.net is ranked 191.
Is InterPals a dating app?
InterPals is not a dating service or personal advertising website where you may hit on random individuals.
Individuals worldwide can interact and make friends, learn new languages, find travel companions, and much more.
Where can I find a PenPal for free?
PenPal World, Global Pen Friends, InterPals, and snailmail.me are a few websites and apps that you can use to find a pen pal for free
How to find pen pals online?
To find pen pals online, you can follow these steps:-
1. Find an app or a website that connects people looking for pen buddies. Snailmail.me, InterPals, Global Pen Friends, and PenPal World are a few choices.
2. On the website or app, create a profile. Typically, this entails giving basic personal data about yourself, such as your name, age, location, and interests.
3. Using your choices as a guide, look for pen buddies. This could involve standards like geography, language, age, and interests.
4. Introduce yourself and make contact with possible pen pals. You can message someone or make a connection request to start a conversation.
5. Maintain contact with your pen buddy. You can send and receive letters, emails, or texts through the website or app.
Are there any pen pal apps?
InterPals, Snail Mail, and PenFriend app allow you to connect with pen pals.
Do pen pals exist anymore?
Yes, pen pals still exist! Even though the trend of writing letters to each other via snail mail has decreased due to technology and the internet, many individuals still value the intimacy and connection of having a pen buddy.
People who desire to be pen pals can connect through various websites and organizations, domestically and abroad.
While some people write frequent letters or emails to a pen pal, others prefer to send occasional letters or postcards.
Some pen-buddy friendships may end after a brief period, while others may survive for many years.
How do I find a pen pal to write to?
Here are a few ideas:-
1. A forum or website for penpals can be joined. There are numerous online groups created exclusively for those looking for penpals. You can look for these online and join the group that appeals to you.
2. Join a social media penpals group. Numerous organizations are dedicated to locating penpals on social media sites like Facebook and Reddit. You can join one of these groups and start a thread where you describe your goal to make pen pals.
3. Message your loved ones, close friends, and acquaintances. Some of your acquaintances or family members can surprise you by showing an interest in pen buddies. You can also ask your pals if you know someone interested in having a pen pal.
4. Attend local gatherings and events. It’s possible that your community hosts gatherings or events just for those looking for pen pals. You may try attending these gatherings and getting to know some new folks interested in having a pen pal.
5. Use a website or app to learn a new language. You might try using a website or app for language learning to discover a pen buddy who speaks a different language if interested.
Finding language exchange partners who can also act as penpals is made easier thanks to the features on many of these applications and websites.
Is having a pen pal worth it?
Having a pen pal can be a rewarding and enjoyable experience. It enables you to interact with people from various cultures and discover more about their experiences.
It can also be a method to meet new people and develop your writing abilities. However, the upkeep of a pen pal connection necessitates work and dedication, as it may entail waiting for responses and regularly writing letters or emails.
Your interests and objectives will determine whether or not having a pen pal is worthwhile. Having a pen buddy may be a wonderful chance for you if you love to write, are curious about other cultures, and want to meet new people.
It might not be worthwhile for you, though, if you don’t have the time or inclination to devote to a pen pal connection.
As long as the world exists, there will be the unending desire to meet, socialize and have conversations with people of like minds across the globe.
One of the best ways to do that in this current world is using pen pal apps since they have hundreds of millions of users worldwide.
To get your priorities right in this aspect, going with the apps listed in this review would be very beneficial and a good way to start.