This is a complete guide to Best Pen Pal Apps to find a pen pal anywhere in the world.
We downloaded around 23 apps available for the Android & iOS platform and tested them on our smartphone.
Finally, we came to 9 Of The Best Pen Pal Apps to our readers. 📗
Let’s get started.
Before mobile phones and other forms of modern communications became very affordable and available to virtually everyone, there were different means of communication adopted by people to communicate, especially over long distances.
One such medium of communication is through writing letters and sending them through postal codes to another person. Now, the people sending these letters may be known or unknown to each other, and they usually have common interests.
They are usually referred to as pen-pals, i.e. people who are friends through writings, and these relationships tend to take place between individuals who don’t live in the same city or town most times.
This relationship may last a long time and it may also have a short time span depending on the chemistry and understanding between the pals.
What is constant however is, this means of communication have helped a lot of people create and foster relationships with people who are far away from them, and a lot of positives have also come out of these kinds of relationships in the past with some ending up doing significant businesses together, and some of the pals eventually getting married to each other.
Since the advent of the modern forms of communications which have allowed for easier and faster communications across the border, pen-pals have drastically reduced.
However, there are still quite a lot of individuals who have kept this culture and it is the desire to satisfy the yearning of these sets of people which has led to the development of various applications for pen pals.
These applications have replaced the postal code as the bridge between these pals and created a platform to send and receive letters between pals in real-time.
Best Pen Pal Apps: our Top Pick 👌👌👌
We have come up with the list of the best pen pal apps that have been developed just for you over the past few years to help you keep up with your pen pal and exchange those good old romantic and exciting writings. Check out our top picks below.
1. Slowly – Connect to the World App
The Slowly – Connect to the World App is arguably the best-rated pen pal app you can find on the play store currently. This app is built to help you reenact the good old times of the pen pal relationship in this modern time.
With this app, you can connect to people of like minds and passion through writing from all over the world. This app differs from the regular social media messengers in some aspects just to keep that real and traditional feeling that comes with pen pal relationships.
For instance, this is not an instant messaging platform where your letter got delivered to your pal almost immediately. Instead, the pace of delivery is reduced to match the true pen pal experience.
For instance, the pace at which your letter is delivered to your pal is also tied to your location. This means a letter sent from Brazil to Peru would most likely be delivered faster than another sent from Brazil to Boston in the United States.
Also, this app is developed to send one letter at a time to your pen pal(s). To make use of this app, all you need do is to access is on the play store, install it on your smartphone and open it.
You will need to choose an avatar and a nickname to get started, after which you would have the liberty to connect with people of like passion and interests from all over the world.
Below are some of the features of the Slowly – Connect to the World App that earned it a spot in our list of Best Pen Pal Apps to download.
- This app comes with a user-friendly interface which makes it quite easy to use.
- This pen pal app is entirely free to download and install.
- This app matches people from all over the world on interests and languages for better users’ experience.
- Unlike the social media messengers and apps, this app doesn’t do instant messaging in delivering your letters to your pals in order to maintain that traditional pen pal experience.
- This app comes with a number of in-app purchases that would help users to get the best out of it.
2. Speaky – Language Exchange App
One of the main reasons a lot of people engage in a pen pal relationship is to learn a new language or get to understand the culture of a different group of people.
If you are one of the people who are in for this, the Speaky – Language Exchange App might just be the best bet for you in the current market.
With Speaky, you would have unfiltered access to over 3 million users who are on the platform for the same reason you are there, i.e. meeting new people from different cultures and languages.
You will also have access to over 110 languages from these participants from all parts of the world. Now, we are talking about significant languages that would be of interest to you such as French, Spanish, Chinese, German, Arabic, and a host of other top languages.
All you need to do to get started is to install this app from the play store and create a profile for yourself by following the simple steps that would be provided by the administrator.
Once this is done, you will be asked to choose the languages you are interested in learning, while you will also need to indicate your current proficiency level in such language(s).
Once this stage is passed, you have nothing to worry about again as Speaky would take care of the rest and match you with the needed people that would help you out with your adventure.
With this app, you should know that there is also the chance to use audio messages to communicate with your pen pals.
Another great feature is the fact that you will easily see the list of people of interest who are currently online once you open the app, and this would definitely help you out with the whole process.
Below are some of the features of the Speaky – Language Exchange App that earned it a spot in our list of Best Pen Pal Apps to download.
- This pen pal app allows you to connect to over 3 million people in over 110 languages.
- This app is entirely free to download and use.
- Once you have created a profile and provided your preferences, this app would automatically connect you to people in your areas of interest.
- This app automatically displays people of your interest who are online each time you open it.
- This app allows you to use audio messages to communicate with your pen pals, a feature that should help you get a strong grip on the languages fast.
3. Bottled – Message in a Bottle App
With the Bottled – Message in a Bottle App, you have got a pen pal app that presents you with the good old fun of exchanging messages and letters with your pen pals all over the world, coupled with a full bottle of adventure.
We are quite sure you are going to love this, not just because it comes with a lot of fun, adventure, and the chance to create a fostering relationship with people from all over the world, but because this app is also one of the top-rated pen pal apps in the app stores and it comes highly recommended.
The whole experience is traditional, and it is all about sending a message in a bottle to one pen pal from anywhere in the world. Since this app is also developed to favor the one message at a time mode, it means you can only send one message to a chosen pen pal.
This message that would be contained in a bottle would now be sent to the pal. Once it is delivered, if the chosen pal loves it, then, you guys would automatically become pen pals and you would continue chatting and sharing letters and every other thing from there.
If your message isn’t deemed to be good enough and rejected by the supposed recipient, the message would be thrown into the sea where any random person on the platform could see it.
You would only have a pen until someone; either the first person you sent the bottle to or another random person on the platform has picked it up and accepted it.
With this app, there are other fun things to do such as getting involved in quiz competitions to test your knowledge about the world, completing various tricky tasks to unlock new features, earning different kinds of rewards, among other adventures.
Below are some of the features of the Bottled – Message in a Bottle App that earned it a spot in our list of Best Pen Pal Apps to download.
- This app is very easy to install and use.
- This pen pal app allows you to meet different individuals from the world, learn new languages, culture and exchange ideas.
- This app allows you to send only one message at a time and you can’t send another until your first message has been received and accepted.
- You get to engage in various adventures like completing different tasks, taking a quiz about the world, etc.
- This app is 100% free to use.
4. Hello Talk – Chat, Speak and Learn Foreign Languages
The Hello Talk – Chat, Speak and Learn Foreign Language app is one of the best pen pal apps out there for anyone with an interest in sharing moments, ideas, writings, and relationships with people from all parts of the world.
This app doesn’t just allow you to send and receive messages from your pen pal(s), but it exposes you to a community of people of different languages and cultures, and it also creates the perfect platform for you to mingle and learn from all of these people and get a hold of their language and culture should you wish to do so.
To get started, you need to visit any of the app stores, download and install this app on your device.
After that, you can then create your own profile and input your preferences in terms of people, and language(s) you are interested in.
Once you are done with this, this app would automatically match you with people that fit your desires and you can start sharing moments, sending and receiving letters and texts as well as learning languages.
This app also allows voice messages and video messaging, and these are features that would go a long way in helping your learning process.
There are also salient features such as language translation and transliteration, text to speech, grammar correction, and a lot more features that would help you in getting a real grip on whichever language you are interested in.
Some of the languages you would get ready-made speakers and pen pals that could help you with learning them on this platform include; Spanish, French, Chinese, Russian, Korean, to mention but a few.
This app is entirely free to download and it comes with a user-friendly interface. Lastly, you should be ready to teach another non-speaker of your own native language too as this app allows you to also teach your pen pals your own languages and culture.
Below are some of the features of the Hello Talk – Chat, Speak and Learn Foreign Languages App that earned it a spot in our list of Best Pen Pal Apps to download.
- This pen pal app comes with a lot of learning features that would help you to learn and understand foreign languages in a short period of time.
- The app comes with a user-friendly interface that makes it quite easy to use by all.
- This app is 100 percent free to download and install.
- This app allows you to meet with speakers of top languages like French, Chinese, Spanish, Russian, Germany, and many more, all of which are willing to meet and teach you.
- This app automatically pairs you with people who match your interests once you have created a profile.
5. airG – Meet New Friends App
The traditional pen pal relationships are mainly for creating a fostering relationship with people who are far away or around you with like interests, and that is exactly what the airG app does.
With this app, you have access to a worldwide community of over 100 million people. Yes, that’s right, a whole 100 million people from different parts of the world.
Some of them are in the farthest parts of the world, and some are just very close to you in your immediate neighborhood. You can create a relationship with all of these people, share letters, send messages, hook up and even organize events (for people close to you).
The app allows you to see who is online at every time which makes it easy for you to chat. In case you are selective about age, location, language and the other factors that may determine interests, this app helps you to select your preferences easily as they are put in different categories.
With this app, there is also the chance to play a lot of fun games that have been inserted by the developers.
To get this app, simply go to any of the app stores and install it on your smartphone, tablet, or PC free of charge, and start making new pen pals from all parts of the world.
Below are some of the features of the airG – Meet New Friends App that earned it a spot in our list of Best Pen Pal Apps to download.
- This app is home to over 100 million people all over the world from which you can get your favorite pen pals.
- This app allows you to meet people around you one on one and even organizes events locally if you desire.
- This pen pal app comes with a number of fun games.
- With this app, you can easily see who is online each time you log in.
- This app comes with a user-friendly interface which makes it a delight to navigate.
- This app is 100 percent free to download and install.
6. Chat Rooms – Find Friends App
The Chat Rooms – Find Friends App is a unique pen pal app that finds a way of matching individuals based on interests and providing a thriving platform for them to bond and create fostering relationships over time.
Just like the name suggests, this app has a number of rooms all of which are distinct from each other, and are connected by interests.
Each room has a different topic and theme, and every member of the room is added based on their interest in the topic being discussed in the room. Once you are in a room with people of like interest, you can start chatting.
Please note that the messages you send would be available to everyone at first, and it can even lead to a general topic for discussion in the group.
Should you need to engage in personal discussions with people you find interesting, you can easily message them privately and start a mutual relationship based on your interests.
With this app, you can express yourself in a lot of fun ways, as you have a lot of colorful and animated emojis that can be used creatively to drive your point home.
This app is free to download and it allows you to connect with people of like interests from all over the world.
Below are some of the features of the Chat Rooms – Find Friends App that earned it a spot in our list of Best Pen Pal Apps to download.
- This pen pal app comes with a lot of chat rooms that are created according to themes and interests.
- This app comes with a lot of colorful and animated emojis that help you to express yourself in a fun and creative way.
- With this app, you can send instant messages to people from all parts of the world and create long-lasting bonds with like minds.
- This app is free to download and install.
- This app comes with a very flexible and easy-to-use interface which makes it very easy to navigate.
7. Panion – Match, Chat, and Meet with Like-Minded People
The last pen pal app we would be recommending to our readers in this article is the Panion – Match, Chat, and Meet with Like-Minded App.
This app is actually one of the best in terms of pure fun, and it enables you to meet with people of like mind from both near and far. You can then go on and create a very good relationship with the people you meet, chat, write letters, and even meet up to do great things together should both parties desire to do so.
This app is one of the best in the market in terms of matching people with the exact type of individuals they desire to meet because they use a matching algorithm which makes the matchmaking very accurate.
With this accurate algorithm, you can easily search for people in your city, school, industry or any other areas that interest you from far and near and you would be matched with the perfect people.
To make use of this app, simply download and install it on your device from any of the app stores. Once this is done, you should create a profile for yourself and start searching for like minds through the use of keywords.
After this, you will be presented with a lot of profiles that you can go through and initiate a conversation. To start a conversation, click on the profile of the individual you like and send a high five to such person (it’s the customary conversation starter on this platform).
This would indicate your interest in the person, and such individual(s) would reply to you once they are aware of your message. This app is absolutely free to download and install, and it is very simple to use.
Below are some of the features of the Panion – Match, Chat, and Meet with Like-Minded People App that earned it a spot in our list of Best Pen Pal Apps to download.
- This pen pal app allows you to connect, chat and meet with people very close and far away from you.
- The app comes with a user-friendly interface which makes it very simple to navigate.
- This app is absolutely free to download and install.
- This app uses a very powerful matching algorithm to match people based on interest, which makes their matching very accurate and fast.
- This app is one of the best in terms of using keywords to find new pen pals.
As long as the world exists, there would be the unending desire to meet, socialize and have conversations with people of like minds across the globe.
One of the best ways to do that in this current world is the use of pen pal apps since they have hundreds of millions of users worldwide.
In order to get your priorities right in this aspect, going with the apps listed in this review would be very beneficial to you and it would be a good way to start.