Looking for the Best Running Apps To Stay Fit and Healthy?🤔 Our unbiased guide is just for you!
Let’s deep dive in. 📗
It is an era of staying fit and healthy! From Millennials to Generation Z, everybody is fitness conscious these days, and they ought to be. Well-being is key to a happy life.
Moreover, being healthy does not mean that you have to invest in bulky and expensive equipment. Workout can be economical these days when you indulge in activities like running. In fact, it is one of the top chosen fitness regimes by many health freaks.
Whether you want to start running to stay healthy or want to shed some extra calories, all you need is a running app to keep track. You will find a lot of the best running apps compatible with both Android and iOS phones.
Benefits of Using Running Apps
There are significant benefits associated with running apps. You can keep a running and workout log when you plan your health goals.
These advanced apps have made everything more comfortable as all the data stored in your smartphones, which you can access within a few minutes.
The features of these running apps are that you can record your pace, distance, time, and a lot more. In this way, you’ll stay informed of your training progress and goals.
The simplicity of these apps for runners makes keeping a record of their runs a compelling element of your training.
The majority of the running apps are also compatible with GPS devices such as a smartphone or running watch. It means the app will upload your run automatically after you finish it.
Best Running Apps To Stay Fit: Our Top Pick 👌
Today you will find a plethora of running apps to choose from that may baffle you. So, with this article, I will help you out in selecting the best one for you from the sea of running apps.
Here I will give you thorough insight into all those apps for runners. With this best running apps guidebook, you will be able to pick the one that satisfies your fitness goals.
1. Nike Run Club
You will fall in love with Nike Run Club, of course, all for good reasons. Nike Run Club is one of the best running apps because the notion of this app is to motivate you to run.
This app consists of recordings that will push you to run by mentally preparing you to be diligent in your fitness routine. The recorded and guided running workouts, such as “Don’t want to run, run,” and “Running on empty” will motivate you to run more.
In fact, to add more motivational touch, you will receive shouts of recognition after each run by the Nike Run Club coaches.
The app trainers challenge you to consider vigorously why you don’t want to run that day, why you are running, and why you should be proud of yourself for completing the set running schedule. Surprisingly, your running regimen will be over in no time.
Besides, you will find all other basic features in this app, like logging your miles (and milestones), average mile pace, mile split times, tracking your route, and saving all your workouts. The app also comes with a social sharing platform where users can post his or her runs.
Below is the summary of the main Pros and Cons of the Nike Run Club app that makes it add to the Best Running Apps To Stay Fit list.
- Nike Run Club is easy to use and gives accurate distance data to the users.
- The app offers users weekly, monthly, and custom distance challenges to stay motivated.
- It supports Google Fit to sync your workouts as well as to record heart-rate data.
- This app ranks at number 6 on the Apple store.
- The app lacks some mapping features, as found in other running apps.
- The app crashes sometimes.
MapMyRun is also one of the best running apps that were first launched as a means to map running routes. However, today the latest version of the app brings many more helpful and trendy features for its users.
Apart from all the basic features of running apps, users can also link this app to heart rate monitors and fitness trackers.
Additionally, the app allows you to locate running tracks locally as well as in new cities. You can also track your runs and get feedback on your stats that motivates you more to improve your fitness performance.
The highlight of the MapMyRunner is its Gear Tracker, which notifies the users about buying a new pair of running shoes. Hence, those who don’t get to know when to replace the running shoes can add their shoes in it, and the app will inform them about that.
Further, the app consists of its own community that you can join to connect with other active runners and stay driven up with fun challenges.
Below is the summary of the main Pros and Cons of the MapMyRunner app that makes it add to the Best Running Apps To Stay Fit list.
- The app allows you to sync your data with a myriad of other popular devices and apps such as the Apple Watch, Fitbit, Garmin, and much more.
- You can keep track of running time as well as distance with this app.
- You can connect it with MyFitnessPal to manage your nutritional intake, calorie intake, and calorie burn.
- The app is accessible in many languages such as French, German, Italian, Indonesian, Japanese, Korean, Portuguese, etc.
- Sometimes the app fails to save the runs.
- The app runs in a background that may affect the battery life of your mobile
3. Zombies Run!
Quite a fascinating name, right? So, these will be the features in this running app. The funny idea behind the app is to make you run as if somebody is chasing you (so goes the name) to keep you driven up. You stop running, and Zombies will overtake you!
It is a gaming cum training app with radio play-style missions offering evolving gameplay to appreciate your run. As per the storyline, you will be put in the shoes of Runner Five, and you will race to save your life along with the people of Abel Township.
With machine guns firing bullets on you and zombies roaring in your ear, you will genuinely get a run of the mill.
Besides, the app supports your favorite music streaming apps and music players. These include Spotify and Pandora, with apps presenting story messages and radio outbursts amidst the songs.
The new app users get access to episodes 1 to 4 in its free plan. You can unlock new episodes per week or with a subscription plan. This running app no doubt offers an exciting experience that you will never have with any other running app.
Below is the summary of the main Pros and Cons of the Zombies Run! app that makes it add to the Best Running Apps To Stay Fit list.
- It is a fabulous app for those who get bored with their running regimen.
- The immersive app has real-looking characters and amazing voice-over artists.
- The app features an assortment of storylines, with runs set on virtual races, sci-fi Venus colony, as well as an interval training mode.
- You can try out the app using its free trial version.
- It may crash sometimes.
- The app pops up ads and has in-app purchases.
Strava is quite a hot app among running as well as cyclist communities. On this app, you can view your time on a specific route and relate it with other runners through the “Segments” feature.
It allows you to share your run with the community friends, comment on their posts. So, those who eye the social and competitive aspects of running must go for it!
Strava possesses a smooth navigation interface. Thus, you can easily track, log, store, and even share your daily runs. This app can also track a variety of metrics as per the fitness brand you connect the Strava account with. As a result, you can enhance your running performance.
Besides, there is a new Perceived Exertion and Fitness option that enables you to track your runs depending upon the difficulty level. This feature is beneficial for novice runners who want to track the result of their workouts in order to keep a watch on their fitness goals.
Below is the summary of the main Pros and Cons of the Strava app that makes it add to the Best Running Apps To Stay Fit list.
- Strava is an all-inclusive run tracking app that keeps checks on distinct running metrics and maps your workout.
- If you buy a monthly membership, you can use its “Beacon” safety feature through which you can share your live location with up to 3 family members or friends.
- You can do group challenges using this app.
- The app is compatible with over 20 different fitness brands.
- Even cyclists and swimmers can use this app efficiently!
- The general layout of this app is not impressive.
- It is free to use.
5. Google Fit
The name of the app only says a lot about why it deserves to be in the best running apps. Developed by tech giant Google, the app keeps track of a variety of activities such as calories burned, exercise, etc.
The Google Fit app has an easy user interface as compared to other runner apps. This app utilizes smartphone sensors to track your running and workout. You can track your calorie and weight by using the app.
You can even use this app for sleep tracking by integrating it with Sleep As Android. You can use the sleep charts given in the Home section, and keep a tab through its weekly and monthly reports. The app allows you to monitor your hypertension, as well.
Below is a summary of the main Pros and Cons of the Google Fit app that makes it add to the Best Running Apps To Stay Fit list.
- Google Fit app is compatible with a variety of popular wearables and exercise trackers such as Wear OS, Runkeeper, Nike+, Strava, Lifesum, and MyFitnessPal.
- The app is also suitable for cyclists and workout tracking.
- It is a totally free app.
- The app is available in a plethora of languages.
- The time tracking system is switched with steps taken.
- This app is incapable of monitoring your diet and blood sugar level.
At the time of our research on Best Running Apps, we found a video about “I Was Running every day for a Month, See What Happened to My Body” which is worth watching. 🏆😎
Another well-known running app is the Couch-to-5K app. As the name suggests, the app motivates you enough to stop procrastinating and start running. Many notable online and offline news media have featured this amazing app to track your runs such as Forbes and CNBC.
This app will supervise you through three 30-minute workouts once a week. Hence, in just nine weeks, you will be ready for a 3.1-mile race. Apart from that, the Couch-to-5K running app keeps a tab on your time and distance through GPS.
With its verbal cues are offered for your training routines. So, stop being a couch potato, but be a runner now!
Below is the summary of the main Pros and Cons of the Couch-to-5K app that makes it add to the Best Running Apps To Stay Fit list.
- This app allows users to pick any one of the four virtual coaches that will guide you throughout their workout.
- The couch-to-5K app can store all your workout activities.
- You can also integrate this app with an indoor treadmill.
- The app has dark and light modes.
- There are in-app purchases.
- The app can consume your battery even when not in use.
It is one of the most popular apps amongst regular runners. All thanks to the abundance of features available in the app. A few of the most loved features of this app voted by its users are fitness tracking, analysis, and challenges.
This running app can track your duration, pace, speed, distance, route, etc. It has a simple interface that means you won’t find any difficulty in using the app.
One of the best features of the application is its delayed-start option that allows you enough time to place the mobile in your pocket prior to starting your run.
The app is available for many operating systems like Android, iOS, Windows, and even Blackberry devices. Endomondo is compatible with various wearables, such as Google Fit, MyFitnessPal, Samsung Gear, and Wear OS.
There are a variety of excellent features in this app for that you have to buy a subscription plan. Premium members even get a detailed report to compare their current and previous day fitness performance.
However, all the training plans and coaching features are accessible by paying a hefty price. So, if you are looking for a free feature-rich running app, this one isn’t for you.
Even cyclists and other outdoor sports lovers can install this app and take advantage of its rich features.
Below is the summary of the main Pros and Cons of the Endomondo app that makes it add to the Best Running Apps To Stay Fit list.
- Apart from running, this app is also useful in tracking your exercises.
- The Endomondo app tracks accurately and offers precise details.
- You’ll also find a heart rate option in the app on wearing a compatible heart rate monitor (HRM).
- When you are tying your shoelace, or you are at a red light, the auto-pause feature will not count stop times toward your pace and time.
- It is an expensive subscription running app.
- This app consumes the mobile’s battery even while not in use.
8. adidas Running by Runtastic – Fitness Run Tracker
Earlier known as Runtastic, the app is now owned by renowned sports brand Adidas in the year 2015. This app aims to help running enthusiasts delve deeper into their performance insights and stats for training.
Each run in the app offers distance, total climb data, an elevation chart, along with a runner star rating.
Moreover, you can utilize its Route finder to ditch the monotonous routes; instead, you can discover safe and interesting running routes.
This way, you can frequently enjoy your run. The runners have logged a vast number of courses in the app that implies you can utilize the current location, can explore set distances, or see far away in case you are preparing some holiday miles.
The “Workout Goal” option of Adidas Running lets you fix a run target relying upon distance, time, or calories as per your convenience. Another great feature of this app is “Challenge an Activity.”
According to this, you can challenge yourself after every 4 or 6 weeks based on past performance to increase your pace or distance in the same set of Workout Goals.
Below is the summary of the main Pros and Cons of the Adidas Running app that makes it add to the Best Running Apps To Stay Fit list.
- This app consists of a Benchmarking feature that allows you to chart your progress and stay motivated.
- Adidas Running comes up with some pre-programmed training sessions and even allows users to create personalized ones.
- You can go Live on Facebook or Twitter while using this app so your family and friends can follow your run and keep you cheered up.
- Adidas Running is even available as a web interface.
- You will see in-app ads.
- Its free version is suitable only for basic features.
9. Weave Run
This running app is specially designed for music lovers! The idea of Weave Run is to cheer you up to run faster with the help of music. The performance-boosting beats on the playlist will always keep you inspired.
According to users, they literally feel their feet hitting the ground faster while listening to the rhythm of the music.
This running app can track your steps in real-time, and then speed up or slow down tracks utilizing high-grade technology to match the beat to your moves every minute.
You can also select the BPM of the playlist in advance, so you start running with the goal to keep up with the tempo rather than the songs adjusting to your steps. All songs loaded in this app ranges from 100 to 240 BPM for giving you encouragement to boost your speed.
Besides, simultaneously users can use this app with their other running apps like MapMyRun, RunKeeper, Runtastic, Nike+ Run Club, and Strava. Thus, you can log your miles while enjoying the playlist on the Weav Run.
Below is the summary of the main Pros and Cons of the Weave Run app that makes it add to the Best Running Apps To Stay Fit list.
- You will find songs such as Clean Bandit, Rudimental, Icona Pop, and Portugal on the app’s playlist.
- You can track your run with GPS on this app.
- The app is also suitable for various other outdoor activities such as yoga, cycling, skiing, kayaking, and gym training.
- The beats will keep you encouraged to maintain the pace.
- The data may not be accurate all the time.
- The app is available only on iOS phones.
This one is primarily a step-tracking app. This app rarely faces any crashes or glitches. Pacer is easy to use as you simply have to carry your phone while running, walking as well as cycling.
However, apart from that, it also consists of a few extra features; for example, calories burned, fitness plan videos, and more. You will also find a BMI calculator on this app. The app works in the background that means you do not have to activate it all the time to record and log your runs.
The app is compatible with other free-running apps as well, such as Fitbit and My Fitness Pal.
Below is the summary of the main Pros and Cons of the Pacer app that makes it add to the Best Running Apps To Stay Fit list.
- Pacer is an affordable running app.
- It has impressive graphics and a simple interface.
- In case you are thinking of following a specific health goal, you can use the app’s fitness videos to do so.
- The app also helps in losing weight.
- It is the easiest run tracking app to set up and use in this best running apps list.
- The phone needs to be on your body always to record your movements.
- The app fails to work on certain mobiles.
If you are an iPhone user, this one is solely for you! Using this running app, you can form a running workout based on pace, heart rate, or heart rate zone. This app will guide you throughout the way.
You can integrate it with Apple Watch and start running without taking mobile with you. After your run, you can transport your workout data in any other training logs.
- iSmoothRun offers accurate reports on distance, pace, power, heart rate, location, and much more.
- A built-in metronome in the app allows you to improve your running stride.
- There is an auto-stop option to work or stop as per the situation.
- It is a completely free app and has no in-app purchases.
- Even while not in use, the app uses your location and drains the battery.
- iSmoothRun app is unavailable for Android mobiles.
12. Charity Miles
If you are also a philanthropist, this running app will win your heart. For each mile you run, make your miles more valuable by donating 25 cents to the charity of your preference through this running app.
With its sleek user interface, you have to simply open up the app, pick a charity, and begin to raise money with every mile you run, walk, or even bike. It is also a social app that means you can additionally create teams with running mates to merge fundraising efforts.
Besides, the Charity Miles app makes sure you stay inspired throughout your fitness schedule. It keeps sending you reminders to run and keeps accumulating money for charity. The app is no doubt, a rewarding experience for every runner.
You don’t need to be a marathon runner to be a fundraiser; this app will give you an excellent opportunity to do your bit.
Below is the summary of the main Pros and Cons of the Charity Miles app that makes it add to the Best Running Apps To Stay Fit list.
- Donate money for every run, walk, and cycling you do.
- Every time you can also pick a different charity when you record more miles.
- Its user-friendly interface makes the app easy to use.
- Charity Miles is a totally free app, and there are no in-app purchases.
- The app lacks precise indicators when it pauses or stops.
- It can’t store all of your history of activities.
RunKeeper is a feature-rich app for running enthusiasts. Runkeeper is a GPS-enabled app to log all your activities. Its ease of use and accurate data presentation has made it one of the best running apps for experienced runners.
The app boasts training plans to keep you driven towards your fitness goals. It comes with all the necessary stats like pace, distance, calories burned and running time. You can also explore new routes from its pre-created routes.
As you run, the app displays your position on a map along with a marker indicating your starting point. You can even see your average pace for the run, duration of running, the distance covered, and the speed you’re running at now by hitting the arrow icon.
You will find a wide range of tracking tools, goals, training regimes, progress reports, and much more in this app. Not to mention, the app is compatible with Spotify and Apple Music.
The experienced runners will also love to sign-up for its premium plan that gives personalized weekly training programs tailored to the user, more comprehensive data, progress reports, live tracking, and much more.
Also, if you like to stay active on social media platforms, this app will even let you post your runs and progress on those channels. Thus, share your hard work with your friends and family.
Below is the summary of the main Pros and Cons of the RunKeeper app that makes it add to the Best Running Apps To Stay Fit list.
- The app scores weekly workouts tailored as per your progress and fitness level.
- There is a wide range of workout challenges to stay motivated.
- The app supports Garmin Watches, Android Wear, and various other Bluetooth wearables.
- Runkeeper is suitable for other outdoor activities as well.
- This app is available in different languages, including Dutch, French, German, Italian, Portuguese, Korean, Russian, Spanish, Swedish, Japanese, and Chinese.
- The app can drain your mobile’s battery even when not in use.
- You have to make in-app purchases to take benefit of its advanced features.
As the name suggests, Pumatrac is one more running app launched by famous sportswear label Puma. This app for runners comes up with all the primary perks of a running app.
You will get additional information that may influence your run in order to encourage you more, such as time of day or day of the month and weather.
Moreover, it offers you holistic details of your workouts to give you personal insights by using its smart learning engine. For instance, you may find you run faster when tuning in to rock music.
Below is the summary of the main Pros and Cons of the Pumatrac app that makes it add to the Best Running Apps To Stay Fit list.
- This app has a sleek interface.
- Get personalized insights about your daily runs to stay motivated.
- The app has a leaderboard to see where you rank on different workout challenges.
- It is also compatible with Google Fit.
- This app is totally free, with no in-app purchases on offer.
- The app can drain your device’s battery even when not in use.
- There are fewer workout options.
📗FAQ’s on Best Running Apps
Below are a couple of queries on Best Running Apps that everyone is expecting to answer and I did include the same for my readers.
(Q) Can I use running apps for other fitness activities too?
Yes, there are many running apps that allow you to use it for various other activities as well, such as cycling, swimming, hiking, and kayaking.
You can even use some of these apps for heart rate, BP, sugar level, and calorie monitoring when integrated with relevant wearables and gadgets.
(Q) Which is the best running app for a novice runner?
Runkeeper, Strava, Nike Run Club, and Couch to 5K are the best options for beginners to track their run.
(Q) Are running apps completely free to use?
Well, you will find some free-to-use running apps such as Nike Run Club, Google Fit, Couch-to-5K, Strava, Charity Miles, and Runkeeper. However, you will find some in-app purchases or subscription plans to use added features.
(Q) Is it necessary to purchase in-app features?
No, it is totally up to you whether you want to buy additional features or not.
(Q) Do running apps store daily running reports?
Yes, the main aim of the running apps is to store your run and to keep a timely track of your performance.
Running apps is your way to a healthy and active life. You can start to run anytime. However, unless you own a reliable app to keep track of the miles, pace, and calories, you can’t accomplish your fitness goals.
Hence, download one for you from the above-given best running apps list. Have a personal trainer in your pocket. Time to begin your journey towards fit life!