Do you have the curiosity to know about the best skateboard helmet in 2019? This Article could help you in a better way with their detailed review on best longboard helmet in 2019.
Skateboards have gained popularity over the past decade, unfortunately, helmets and other protective gears that can enhance the fun in the game are neglected and hence the high number of injuries are recorded from skateboards and skateboarding activity.
So to safeguard you during skateboarding, we are going to try and bring to you an unbiased review on the best helmets for 2018 and one that will get you safely into 2019.
If you are an adult reading this and have a nephew, brother, cousin or relative that loves skateboards, then you might consider wrapping one as a gift this yuletide season.
General Overview of a Best Skateboard Helmet
Any sports that involve you speeding down in wheels deserve protection and skateboarding is one of such sports.
Helmets are made for protection and if you really care about your head and potentially your life, then you don’t want to compromise on a good helmet.
Some brands are well-known others not so much but their aim is to protect you and your life by providing a helmet that fits and is certified by the law.
Here is the list of Top 9 Best Skateboard Helmet in 2019
All helmets and especially skateboard helmets are very important and watching pro skateboarder, you can actually tell they are having the best time of their life skateboarding with the right one on.
A head injury is the worst thing that can happen to you and between sliding down stair rails, jumping over a flight of stair and becoming Chuck Norris; a good helmet will take you the distance and more. So let begin.
This helmet look likes something out of a 1950 war movie; weighing in at 2 pounds, it definitely evokes the feeling of being protected and protection.
The Pro-Tec is certainly a contender in the world of helmets and works well not only for skateboarders but other sports as well.
With over 40 years of creating helmets for both professional and others, this helmet is worth every cent spent.
The outer casing of the helmet is made out of HD injection molded PE and ABS to form a tough exterior that can take the beating of a hard fall, but it does work alone.
The inner lining is made out of EPS creating a soft and breathable lining for your head and enforces the safety during a fall.
- Meets all safety rules and standards including the ASTM F1492
- Highly ventilated helmet to keep you cool
- Comes in an array of color that will wow the wearer
- Very affordable and comfortable to wear
- The straps are adjustable and secure the helmet in place
- The ABS and Injection mold offers the best protection for an impact
- With innovations, the helmet has been designed in a way that it keeps sweat away from your eyes and face
- Very comfortable and durable
- It is available in seven sizes from small to extra large
- Scratches are clearly visible on the Matte finish making the helmet look ugly after a few falls
- Not suitable for skaters less than 18
Note:- I have written a post for people looking for Best electric skateboard under 500 USD, do read it If you are interested.
Almost every skateboarder that wears a helmet is familiar with the triple eight helmets and with inbuilt technology to keep our head cool and prevent sweat from dripping down your face; you can be sure of a smooth ride always.
However, this helmet possess the basis of a good and standard helmet, it does not have a certification backing its claims as one of the best protection helmets on the market.
If certification is the pre-requisite to choosing a helmet, then this certainly doesn’t cut it as a safety helmet even though it is made with EPS.
- Variety of colors
- Sweat saver technology to prevent sweat from dripping down your face or entering your eyes
- Great ventilation and odor elimination helmet
- Lightweight at 14.4 ounces
- Adjustable straps to secure the helmet
- Not certified by CPSC, ASTM or any other helmet certification agency
- ABS plastic used for the exterior is too thin and won’t really withstand big impacts
Note:- I have written a post for people looking for the Best electric bike under 1000 $, do read it If you are interested.
The Triple Eight helmets are the brand on the market with great technology and research placed into each helmet to ensure that it offers the necessary protection when skateboarding.
The dual certification puts this helmet is a league of its own and excellent for kids of all ages that love skating.
It is made out of the right material in the right proportions and will ensure that you are not just head protected but enjoy the experience of skateboarding which makes it to fit in our best skateboard helmet 2019 list.
- It is both CSPS and ASTM certified
- Lightweight at 1.7 pounds; it is comfortable and durable, with It has adjustable straps to secure the helmet to your head
- It is very affordable
- Perfect helmet for anybody on wheels – skateboard, rollerblade, bikes, bicycle, etc
- Sweat saver technology inner that can be removable and replaced
- The helmet is perfect, no negative reports yet
Note:- I have written a post for people looking for the Best folding electric bike, do read it If you are interested.
A beautifully crafted helmet, dual certified, with one too many good features for the road, the Punisher helmet certainly lives up to its name.
Made out of approved ABS plastics, EPS and High-density PE, the Punisher helmet will take any impact and have you dusting off for the next ride
- Dual certification by ASTM and CSPS
- Great helmet for cyclist and skateboarders alike
- The colors on the helmet are heat resistant and will not fade ensuring that with each clean, the sheen is restore
- The helmet has 13 cooling vents to not only keep your head cool but eliminate swear odor
- Very durable and comfortable helmet
- Comes in three sizes and the perfect helmet for growing children
- The inner padding is adjustable allowing more than one rider use the helmet
- A 14.4 ounces helmet with an adjustable nylon strap for extra safety
- The straps need some getting used to
Note:- I have written a post for people looking for the Best Off-road Electric Skateboards, do read it If you are interested.
What better way to display your artistic side and enjoy graffiti than with this helmet.
The graffiti helmet allows you to express yourself while skateboarding.
The helmet is a plain canvas with a pack of graffiti markers for your own special artwork.
The helmet comes with an easy wipe ink maker gel that allows you to design your helmet for every race you attend and it’s best to skate helmet for big head.
- A very lightweight and durable helmet
- Great way for kids and young adults to express their artistic side
- Allows you to be unique and different from the crowd
- The ink does not smudge, scratch off, and it’s waterproof
- Comes with a cleaning gel for another designing
- A fully CSPS certified helmet
- It doesn’t come with a back strap
Note:- I have written a post for people looking for the Best Electric Skateboard Under 1000 USD, do read it If you are interested.
Kids ride the skateboard because it’s cool and this helmet is a sure way to the hype that `coolness`.
The Krash Vector Victor helmet is one helmet with bold and wild, in-your-face graphics that will turn heads wherever you go.
The helmet has a Mohawk feature made of silicon spike for that rugged skateboarder look.
The spikes are soft and have no endangering effect on the wearer.
- A fully ASTM and CSPS certified helmet
- Comes in cool graphics and colors
- Well ventilated for a cool head when skating
- A great helmet for kids
- The EPS inner creates a better shock absorbing feature for the helmet
- An excellent way for kids to express their inner daring side
- The Mohawk creates a 3-dimensional look to the helmet
- A strong and sturdy helmet with great impact degree
- The outer shell is not thick enough
Note:- I have written a post for people looking for the Waterproof electric skateboard?, do read it If you are interested.
This cool aggressive helmet has the same feature as the Triple Eight helmet, in adjusting the inner pad and strap to get the perfect fit every time.
This helmet is great for both kids and adult but not for very small kids.
The dual certification guarantees that you will be getting a cool helmet that will offer full protection for your head when you are out skating.
Priced at $$, the helmet is affordable for some and well maybe not for others. It also comes in a variety of colors with adjustable back strap
- Dual certification by the CSPS and ASTM
- A great helmet for every aggressive sport like cycling, skateboarding, pogoing, bike riding, roller blades, skating, etc
- Very comfortable and an easy to fit helmet for anyone
- Comes with 12 ventilation outlets to keep you cool and prevent sweat build up in your helmet or running down your face
- Very strong ABS plastic exterior and EPS interior for the perfect combination to protect your head
- Not for small kids
Note:- I have written a post for people looking for the best electric skateboard under 300 USD ?, do read it If you are interested.
Well, Razor is not a new name in the world of all things wheel and with their brand doing excellently well; we had to mention the uniqueness of a helmet by Razor which is cool skateboard helmets.
Not everybody has a round or perfect shaped head, and Razor has taken that into consideration to create a helmet for you shape that fit perfectly too which makes lightest skateboard helmet.
Furthermore, the sleek and stylish design ensures you get noticed while keeping you well protected on the ramp.
- With a whopping 17 ventilation spot, your head might get to cool when riding
- Well-padded interior for a comfortable fit and straps for security
- Created for kids from ages 8 to 14 years
- CSPC certified
- Best inexpensive helmet in this range
- May not fit securely on the head of kids aged 8 and 9
Note:- I have written a post for people looking for the exercise bike for short person to buy?, do read it If you are interested.
Our best high-end helmet that is worth every dollar spent.
This solidly built helmet is made for the outdoors and riding whatever wheels you want with the full protection of this well constructed ABS outer shell making it super strong to withstand high impact while protecting your head.
- One of the best high-performance helmets for top speed games
- Durable and well-padded interior for a comfortable fit
- Come with 11 ventilation outlets to keep you cool on the road
- Stylish and fully certified
- It is pricey
Doesn’t the name remind you of Superman’s but this helmet is anything but weak?
In fact, these helmets are one of the best skateboard helmets in town and made for kids and youths with the utmost level of protection.
With the Kryptonics step up a helmet, you can rest assured that your child is well protected.
- Durable and comfortable
- Inexpensive and sturdy
- Great for kids
- 8 ventilation holes
- Adjustable straps
- The color range is limited
You may like to read Best Folding Electric Bike
Other Safety and Protection Gears When Skateboarding
To get fully geared up for a safe skateboarding ride, you must wear the right gears to protect yourself from harm or injuries.
Some protective items are elbow guards, knee guards, hand gloves, and wrist guard. All this protection is in vain without the right skateboard, so ensure that your board is top notch before heading out on the streets.
Why a Helmet is priceless?
- You are not in control: you might be the one steering the board but the controls have automatically shifted from your feet to the wheels. And believe me, even the most professional of skaters know better than to ride without a helmet strapped to their chin.
- You can never foretell a crash: slips and falls just happens; regardless of how you have calculated the road distance, curves, and even bumps; mistakes that will literary sweep you off your feet are bound to happen.
- The speed doesn’t determine the effect of the fall: ride slow or ride fast, a fall is a fall; and sometimes, what looks like nothing is the most dangerous of all. Besides banging your head, you will suffer a strain, stress, and even fracture that might affect your skating life forever.
- Don’t just wear any helmet: a skateboard helmet is different from a football, bike, or hockey helmet. So always wear the right one if you want to have a heads up on your injuries
- Don’t just buy a skateboard helmet, purchase one that is certified and from guaranteed dealers.
The Reasons Why Helmets are neglected in the Skateboarding World
You are probably among the over 12 million skateboarders in the world today or perhaps one of the almost 7 million skateboarders in the United States.
However, with this number, do you know that half of the world’s skateboarders don’t wear a helmet or the proper protective gear when riding their boards?
The risks associated with riding and stunting is not limited to a particular age group or demographic, but it cuts across all riders.
However, the younger generation of the age group 9 to 18 is the most vulnerable people to get injuries while skateboarding because they never seem to follow the rules or take protection gears seriously.
The reason why they hate helmets are really not known; maybe because they are clunky and just uncomfortable and even more so, is the fact that skateboarding is an active sport that means the riders sweat a lot and helmets and heat don’t go together.
Another reason why is that helmets or other protective gears are hardly promoted among youths that engage in skateboarding except they partake in the sports competition in their states or on a higher level.
We have to ensure that helmets are promoted and enforced by the local authority and even the law to reduce the rates of injuries that range from broken face, nose, and bones and in the worst case a severe concoction.
Furthermore, youths should be educated more and companies that make and sell skateboards share more on the positives of skateboards and helmets.
Buying Guide for a Skateboard Helmet in 2019
The market is full of brands that manufacture protective gears for your (helmet) or others such as chin guard, knee and elbow guard wrist guards and hip protection in some cases. The problem is deciding how to make the right choice and which brand has you head protection at the core of their helmet protection. So we have garnered the important and tips to choosing the right helmet for you.
The Helmet Size
Men and women have different head shape and sizes. The average head size for a man is 58 centimeters or 7 inches and 3/8 and 7.25 inches for women. The sizes for kids are different.
- The durability of your helmet determines how much protection it will and can offer to you. Renowned brands are known to cost higher due to the research and technology that go into ensuring that they proffer the protection meant in addition to following the certification rules and regulation for creating helmet.
- The inner lining: the padding that lines the helmet are meant to be soft, comfortable, firm enough to offer protection and the only compound can offer such protection which is EPS ( Expandable polystyrene Styrofoam). EPS is the certified lining for making the insides of the helmet because they have a better absorption to shocks from falls and spills and therefore great for a helmet.
- The body: most outer parts are made of a strong plastic known as ABS (Acrylonitrile Butadiene Styrene) for a more solid and durable helmet or some are mixed with EPS to create a strong but lightweight helmet that takes the discomfort of wearing a helmet away from you.
The Cost of the Helmet
The price of the helmet depend s on the wearer and the purpose. If you skateboard around the neighborhood, well you may settle for what you like or can afford, but for skateboarders in competitive sport; the helmet must and should be durable, firm, and strong enough to sit comfortably on your head but protect you in the event of a fatal fall.
The price of skateboard helmets range anywhere from 20 to 200 dollars and more depending on what they are offering.
Note: Don’t base your decision on a helmet on the brand, price or look, but in the make and level of protection it can offer.
How to get the Right measurement for your helmet?
Rather than wear a wrong sized helmet, don’t wear at all. It sounds harsh, but having a helmet on should protect you from the dangers of a severe head injury. However, if your helmet doesn’t do that, then you might as well not wear one.
Helmets can’t be too tight or too loose but just right. Firm enough on the head, but soft enough to allow ventilation through the surface of the skull and that is why we have put together a guideline to make you get the right measurement when buying a skateboard helmet.
How to take your Head Measurement for a Helmet?
- Take a tailor’s measuring tape (soft tape), stretch it out
- Place the ends at a point on your forehead; take a circumference of your head. The tape should be just above your eyes and ears at about 2.5 centimeters just as a helmet would sit on your head.
- The tape should not be too tight or too loose either. If you can’t take your own measurements, have a friend to it for you or visit a helmet shop and have the shop attendant give you an exact measurement. In the US and UK, measurements are taken in inches and centimeters respectively.
- Furthermore, you can use your hat measurement or follow the helmet chart found in helmet stores. Do make sure that they are updated and ASTM certified.
Fitting the Helmet on your Head
As the most important protective gear, while skateboarding, it is only fair that we give you the best way to fit the helmet on your head.
You must ensure that the helmet sits well and even though helmet and other protective gears feel bulky, they are essential and recommended by law. To get the helmet, follow these simple rules
- Place the helmet over your head – it should sit comfortably over your head and not wobble
- Ensure that you don’t feel the outer material for the inside. That is the lining should be thick enough but also firm to cushion your head
- Close the belt underneath the chin and ensure that the helmet is not shaking at this point and properly secured.
The Helmet Law
This is not funny, but helmets or any gear worn over the head or to be worn over the head need to be certified by the CPSC – Consumer Product Safety Commission before they are sold in the US market i pro-tec classic certified skateboard helmet.
However, for skateboard helmets are certified by the ASTM – American Society for Testing Material and any good brand helmet should have the certified ASTM F1492 sticker because skateboard helmet suffers several hits during a ride.
This regulation ensures that your head is protected by the right guide after rigorous and extensive testing on the helmet.
Why Helmet Certification is Important?
Certifying a helmet by ASTM is a guarantee that you are wearing not just the best but a tough one to that is ready to take a beating when you are skating through the city.
Companies have to follow the regulation law stated by the ASTM to ensure that only the right materials are used to make the helmets.
There are other regulations and requirements set by other protection agency, but the certification by the ASTM is the best agency for helmet certification. So if you want the best skateboard helmets, ensure it is ASTM certified and protect your head.
Riding a skateboard is fun, but to truly enjoy the thrill in it, safety is vital; and there is no better way than wearing the right size helmet as you go zooming down city streets and pavements.
Your choice of a helmet is determined by the budget set aside for it as this will streamline your choices to the either the best on the market, the strongest and most durable of all; either way, when choosing a helmet, let your safety do the talking and your budget next.
To avoid wasting time and returning the helmet to the store, ensure that the proper measurement of your head is taken as detailed in the article.
When buying the helmet, always seek the help of the shop assistant or follow the instructions and information provided by the helmet manufacturer to make every purchase a banging good one.