Do you use Mac at home and office regularly? If yes, you probably always find yourself discovering more and more exciting features delivered by macOS. Of course, some of you may feel like you’ve learned everything about it. However, don’t be so sure of this.
While new Mac users always get concerned about more “global” issues like “How do I transfer photos from Android to Mac?”, they usually miss out many other useful features. Meanwhile, more experienced users forget about those highlights. In this article, we have gathered the top five features that all users overlook regardless of their experience with macOS, although each of them deserves to get due attention.
- Secure Your Files
Users can benefit from two handy features that help protect important files from unwanted changes.
One option you may pick will lock your files, making it impossible to change them. Here is how you can do this:
- Click twice on the file you want to lock.
- Go to Get Info > General.
- Then tick the box titled Locked.
Another handy tool for protecting your documents is Stationery Pad. However, the idea of this feature is slightly different from the file lock. It allows you to create templates for your documents. These can be used as many times as needed and you will not have to worry about making unwanted changes by accident. Add Your Signature To Any Digital File
If you are used to work with documents on the go, this feature will definitely come in handy! Instead of wasting you time on printing, signing documents, and then sending them back to a recipient, you can quickly add a signature with almost no effort right from your laptop. You can do this in the app called Preview PDF. It allows you to sign almost any document using the touchpad.
- Decide What Apps Should Be Used By Default To Open Different Types Of Files
If you are struggling with the default apps, instead of choosing the right software manually each time you need to open a file, you can change the default settings for different documents by making these quick steps:
- Decide which file you wish to open with a different app and click on it with the right button of your mouse.
- Choose Get Info and navigate to the Open With tab.
- Pick a suitable application from the list or click Other and choose it manually.
As soon as you do this, the files of the same kind will open with the app you’ve selected.
- Organize Your Menu Bar
Mac users have plenty of freedom in terms of personalization. One of these opportunities allows you to customize the menu bar upon their needs. This will save you lots of time and make work with different apps more efficient. Here are a few tips you should keep in mind for better organization:
- Monitor what icons appear in the Menu Bar and remove the ones you don’t need there.
- Switch the widgets’ locations for convenient use, but bear in mind that some apps can’t be moved as they have fixed positions.
- Remove the widgets you don’t need.
- Change The Icons
If you are wondering how to arrange your files more efficiently and add a personal touch to your laptop, these goals can be reached with custom icons. You can choose a new image for any document, folder, app, drive, or another item from the list of offered icons. Or you can add a picture you created yourself.
Here is how you can replace a default image with the new one:
- Click on the icon with the right mouse button and choose Get Info.
- You will see a new tab, in it, find the thumbnail and right-click to copy it or do it with Cmd + V keys.
- Put the cursor on the item you’ve picked and click Get Info.
- Cmd + V or right-click to paste a new image.