Nowadays, it is extremely common to have multiple computers and devices used by the members of a house that are connected through common home networks.
This also includes a repetitive activity of sharing media and report files amongst several devices in the household.
If your household uses a similar set of operations, then you may have realized that sometimes it gets uneasy, messy, and tedious to access and share certain files such as pictures, videos, etc.
If there are two or more computing devices in your household connected to a common home network, you may consider this list for the best home server software.
This will help you and other members in your house to easily organize and access files that are typically used and shared amongst each other when required through unnecessary work.
With the aid of such software, all the technical difficulties regarding storage and sharing will be erased and every member of your house will be able to access valuable data stored and backed up on a single server remotely without encumbrances and from the comfort of their own respective devices.
This operates as a centralized media storage device that prevents any proliferation of the digital media which you generally store separately on either your personal computers, your smartphones and tablets or consoles, etc.
This offers a very practical way to access commonly used media files in real-time as a server software will also be connected to your home network along with all other of your devices.
You can easily choose what files will be stored and backed up and will have easy access from whichever device connected through the network.
This will also prove to be exceedingly useful for businesses to run through homes as there are a plethora of files being shared in such a system. Such a server requires hardware and software.
The hardware part is fairly simple as it only requires a CPU with a large hard disk and desktop. The consideration of which software part to get is where it gets a little tricky but that has been solved for you.
The following are some of the best Home Server software available in the market. You go through the list and make a choice that is best suitable for your needs.
Best Home Server Software: Our Top Picks 👌👌
1. Plex Media Server
Plex Media Server (Download Here) is easy to use approach to store every one of your films, shows, and other media in one spot and make it open from any gadget, regardless of whether you’re at home or in a hurry.
It is one of the most commonly used and best home server software available on the internet. In case you’re searching for a no- headache approach to watch your films or access any other data anyplace, this is it.
Plex is very easy to use a server that works through a single computer and stores all the data without the hassle of management and compatibility and can be easily accessed through a plex application installed on each of the gadgets of the house.
It functions on not only your operating systems but also through android, ios, and all other similar platforms.
- It does not matter if earlier you have stored your media files in different formats. The Plex Media Server aids in the storage of files in different formats easily.
- Users generally deal with problems regarding playback quality, video resolution and other details while copying files to another device. The Plex is a single server, transcodes all the content viewed on the various devices so that there are zero issues with quality.
- The Plex offers a centralized space for multiple accounts in your household without any hassle.
- It also has a very basic and simple User Interface and can be easily operated by a non- tech-savvy person.
- The Plex also maintains a track record of what you have been watching and allows direct and easy handle for the same.
- The Plex media server will disable transcoding if the hardware computer used for its operations is old and obsolete in the sense that it mostly recommends i3 and above with at least 2GB RAM and beefy memory storage hard disk.
2. Free NAS
FreeNAS (Download Here) is one of the most celebrated names in the game of server programming. Despite the fact that FreeNAS is delegated as an operating system framework and not a home server, it does all that you need the server to do.
This is an operating system that makes a centralized entrance for simple access to your documents and information and media.
- It is extremely easy to use.
- It requires very little RAM storage (96 MB), can be accessed through a hard drive, an optical disk, or even a flash drive, and can store unlimited data in accordance with the hardware memory available.
- As the name itself suggests, this server software is completely free of cost!
- The Free NAS provides maximum protection by preventing third party repair servers. You can also add additional layers of protection through its password protection features.
- This software also offers backup for your operating systems and provides snapshots of the data contained which can be viewed through any gadget facilitating easy access.
- Due to this server being a NAS based application, it does not offer many features with regards to the streaming of media content.
3. Ubuntu Server
Ubuntu is one of the world’s top-class and best home server software for storage and backup of commonly used and shared data, streaming videos and movies, and serving through files.
It is extremely agile and secure towards your personal data and has a very easy installation process.
- The Ubuntu home server is completely free of cost.
- Ubuntu offers amazing customer service and provides fast and direct communication with experts to solve problems easily.
- The Ubuntu server automatically installs on your computer and does not require manual instructions. Upon installation, this server provides a multiplicity of applications that easily integrate with your network to provide maximum support and reliability.
- It can be accessed from any device anywhere connected to the server.
- Ubuntu may not be accurately suitable for some non- tech-savvy people as it requires to perform certain steps that are generally considered difficult.
- At times, it can get time-consuming to operate the Ubuntu server.
Download Ubuntu Server Here
4. Amahi Home Server
This server software (Download Here) has been specially designed to operate in small spaces such as homes.
It is one of the most simple, powerful, and best options for streaming multimedia content through different devices and screens in your house connected to the server.
It helps in organizing, storing, and sharing all of the downloaded media files including movies, pictures, and all other visual content along with personal data and information.
In technical terms, a home server like Amahi suggests performing the functions of a Home Digital Assistance or HDA which helps you backup all your media content in real-time your pc or mobile device turn off abruptly.
- One of the upsides of Amahi is that it accompanies one of the biggest application stores, through which you can stretch out your server to do anything you so wish with a single tap.
- The Amahi media server has a very simple User Interface and requires minimal complications whatsoever. Any non- tech-savvy person or average user can easily operate through Amahi.
- The Amahi comes in over 20 languages to aid its users by adjusting to their needs.
- It comes with a pre-built operating system and functions over multiple platforms.
- In addition to the aforementioned, the Amahi server can also be utilized by small businesses requiring a single server.
- One of the downsides of Amahi is that this media server has a lengthy installation process. In order to activate the Amahi, you first need to install Fedora.
- Amahi only supports computer systems that use a 64-bit processor.
- In order to operate, the Amahi server requires the user to buy a few plug-ins as well.
The aforementioned features make Amahi one of the best home server software available at the moment considering your media file storage and streaming needs
5. Windows Home Server
Most of the users in the world are fairly accustomed to the operating systems by Windows.
This media server software (Download Software here) also operates on a similar interface which has made it one of the most common servers used for homes and small businesses for storage, backup, access, and sharing media files and other data through a common server for all devices.
- The Windows server can be utilized for 10 computer devices and create a backup for 10 computers in one interface.
- It provides daily backup which is image-based for each and every one of your computers.
- This server provides options to either store a single content file or the whole of your PC.
- The Windows server provides remote access to your desktop over the internet.
- It exhibits a fairly excellent capability to stream robust media content.
- The server is very easy to manage and also includes a server backup.
- The Windows server will not go easy on your pockets costing around 25,000 INR.
- The Upgrades for these servers are not at all simple.
- Microsoft has also removed the harddisk extender which has devalued this edition.
6. Clear OS
ClearOS (Download Here) Community server software is a cloud-associated server, network, and a gateway OS intended for homes, specialists, and hobbyists. It is accessible in both Community Edition (Free) and Professional Edition (non-Free).
The Community Edition is an open-source and free form intended for the upbeat Linux nerd (as is commonly said ).
This variant incorporates more fun and individual applications, including media workers, for example, Plex. The Clear OS software provides fast and simple setup and installation through a graphic-based user interface.
- If you are not sure about getting this product, the Clear OS also provides online demos and videos so that the users know exactly what they are getting.
- The Clear OS delivers a cheap way for the customers to experience such a hybrid server with the compatibility of your home network.
- This server includes over 100 of built-in apps and services to provide you all the while requiring payment, download and installation of only the apps that you need.
- The Clear OS also comes in over 80+ languages swooping away any linguistic-based complications.
- Although Clear OS comes as a free downloadable version, it expires in 30 days for home and small businesses and requires to be paid for the server and the apps needed.
- The community edition for this server does not provide wide support as compared to the aforementioned Ubuntu server and Free NAS server and does not cover a professional aspect.
Even with a few downsides, the ClearOS has easily made to the list of the best home server software owing to its multiple and variegated features.
The Openfiler (Download Here) being one of the best home server software basically emphasizes storage solutions.
It converts your hardware into a fully functioning Network-attached Storage or NAS application that aids you in storing all of your commonly shared files, data, and content through a home network.
Openfiler guarantees that storage executives can utilize system execution and capacity limit resources while apportioning and overseeing storage in a multi-stage network.
- Being a web-based management server, the Openfiler requires minimal manual work regarding the installation and activates in about 15 minutes.
- The Openfiler software comes with block-level replication and fiber channel target support both of which are productive essentials for storage environments.
- This server maximizes reliability for the use by upholding both programming and hardware RAID with observing and ready offices; volume preview and recuperation.
- Through its volume support and internet filing system, the Openfiler server provides scalability of up to 60+ TB. This means that you can expand on your storage space based on your needs at zero cost.
- The Openfiler provides you an open-source download which is free of all costs.
- Although Openfiler is great for your storage needs, it does provide many promises regarding media content streaming which may provide encumbrances for users.
- Being something similar to an IP storage gateway, the Openfiler does not provide a lot of space for simplicity.
8. OPEN MEDIA VAULT
The OPEN MEDIA VAULT (Download Here) server software is the cutting edge network-connected storage (NAS) solution dependent on Debian Linux.
The Open Media Vault server has a perfect and present-day looking web interface for home service needs. The key thing to note is that Open Media Vault is fundamentally intended to be utilized in home conditions and little home workplaces.
This center way of thinking makes it a standout amongst other free server software which makes it seem worth trying. Open Media Vault makes it anything but difficult to test their items. Simply head over to the Open Media Vault demo page and play around to get to know it.
- The core features for this server include online-based management, easy updates with minimal complications, supporting multiple languages, and service announcements.
- The Open Media Vault proactively monitors the server system and processes and provides email notifications in real-time.
- Various support services like SSH, (S)FTP, SMB/CIFS, DAAP media server, rsync, BitTorrent, and many more are provided by this server software.
- The Open Media Vault comes in a modular design which means that it can be very easily extended to function for other purposes with plugins.
- The Open Media Vault has an extremely easy User Interface and can be operated by an average user lacking technical knowledge in depth.
- Open Media Vault emphasizes focus on mainly your storage based needs and does not provide many promises regarding the streaming of content.
With the accuracy of such a multiplicity of features, the OpenMediaVault is considered by many as the best home server software
9. Emby Media Server
The Emby Media Server software (Download Here) is one of the best home server software available in the market. It provides an easy way to manage as well as stream media files from any device in your house connected to a home network.
You can simply access any stored content remotely by signing up to the Emby media server.
- Emby Media Server consequently recognizes Dlna gadgets on your home network so you can undoubtedly send content, remote control, and then some.
- Emby Connect makes it simple to make the most of your media while away from home. Simply sign in and play and enjoy easy accessibility provided by this home server.
- Simple web-based instruments assist you with editing metadata and pictures, look for subtitles, and then some. This increases your ability to manage and organize content without many complications.
- The Emby Media Also comes with an option to Chromecast where you can easily cast your photos, movies, music, etc. on your television set.
- You can easily sync your own media to the cloud for simple reinforcement, documenting, and changing over. In addition to this, the embryo also allows you to store your content in numerous resolutions to empower direct streaming of such files from any device anywhere.
- The Emby Media Server traditionally operates towards a home server functioning for mainly media and content and is not very suitable for work purposes.
- The Emby Media Server also has a premiere license version that contains many more features including a capacity of up to 25 devices for one server and increased storage space. However, this version is very expensive which may discourage users.
10. Xigma NAS
The Xigma NAS home server (Download Here) is an open-source Network Attached Storage (NAS) intended for home and independent ventures.
When this server software was first released 2011, it was commonly known as NAS4FREE, however, the company changed its name to Xigma Nas due to the fact that their sales were getting affected by the similarity of their original name with FreeNAS which is also in the list.
It is a decent and lightweight server software that can be introduced on any equipment like flash drives, USB, SSD, and hard disks. XigmaNAS can likewise be booted from LiveCD/LiveUSB with a little USB key for configuration capacity.
- The Xigma NAS server software uses a web-based interface due to which it makes storage and streaming of content rapid, accurate, and easy.
- This server also provides maximum data security owing to the disk encryption feature that it provides. This does not allow any third party server to gain access to any of your media files.
- The S.M.A.R.T., a feature provided by the Xigma NAS ensures that you get real-time notifications whenever there is an issue with the drive resulting in productive and simple management of content.
- With Xigma NAS, you can easily share content over MAC, ios, Windows OS, android and other operating platforms.
- The Xigma NAS provides a platform for all kinds of data and their easy storage, accessibility and subsequent streaming.
- Samba AD, FTP, NFS v4, TFTP, AFP, RSYNC, Unison, iSCSI, UPnP, Bittorrent and Syncthing are amongst the various services that are provided by the Xigma NAS server software.
- The Xigma NAS can be downloaded from an open-source which means that it is completely free of all costs!
- The Xima NAS can only operate on hardware with an operating system of a 64-bit processor.
With regards to a small downside, the Xigma NAS has very easily made its way into the list of some of the best home server software because of the NAS features this server provides to its users
Earlier used only by corporate and business users, server software has been diverging to home networks for the past few years with an increasing need for organizing, storage, and accessibility needs of media files at home with the comfort of separate devices.
The aforementioned is a detailed list of best home server software with variegated features that you can consider suiting your respective needs.
For example, if your server needs basically refer to media file backup, restoration, and streaming, server software like Plex and Amahi are for you.
But if you want your home server to be more inclined towards a network-attached storage software, servers like Free NAS and Xigma NAS are best suitable for you.