Windows is an Operating System developed by Microsoft. The first version of Windows was launched in the year 1985 as Windows 1.0, and since then, numerous updates of Windows have been rolled out for the people! Windows is a widely used operating system in the world! However, not every person is using an authentic copy of Windows on their PC. Most of the people have been using the pirated copies of Windows on their PCs. This is due to the cheap prices of the pirated copies and no difference in their performance when compared to the authentic copy of Windows.
Even though the pirated copies have exactly the same performance, there are chances that you will receive an error stating that ‘this copy of Windows is not genuine‘ if you are using a pirated copy of Windows. Once this error shows up, your background will change to a black screen.
You can fix “this copy of Windows is not genuine” error by executing some simple steps.
Methods to fix ‘this copy of Windows is not genuine’ error?
Since you are experiencing ‘this copy of Windows is not genuine’ error, there must be a file in your system which can detect that you are using a pirated Windows OS. Thus, you need to find this file and delete it first!
Open ‘Control Panel‘ on your PC by searching ‘control panel” in Start menu. Our this guide will help you in this How to open Control Panel in Windows 10
Search for ‘Windows Update‘ section.
Now, click on ‘view installed updates‘ to get a list of all the updated files.
Here, search for the ‘KB971033‘ update in the list and uninstall it by right-clicking on it and
selecting ‘Uninstall‘ from the drop-down box.
If this file is not found, go ahead with the next step.
Now, to fix the error, you need to follow the steps listed below.
- Go to the ‘Start‘ option and type ‘cmd‘ in the search box and hit ‘Enter.’
- Run the ‘Command prompt‘ on your PC by selecting ‘Run as Administrator‘ from the drop-down box.
- Now, enter ‘SLMGR -REARM‘ this text and press ‘Enter.’
- Finally, click on ‘OK‘ to preserve the changes which you have just made. Now, restart your PC/laptop to apply the changes.
You can use SLMGR /REARM instead of SLMGR -REARM in the command prompt if you do not succeed initially.
If you receive an update from Windows, the file which you had uninstalled to avoid the detection of pirated copy will be reinstalled. Thus, you must turn off the updates to avoid reinstallation of any unnecessary file. To turn off the auto-update option, execute the steps listed below.
- From the Control panel, click on ‘System and Security‘ >> ‘Windows update.’
- Now, click on ‘Turn automatic updating on or off‘ which will be located under the ‘Windows Update‘ option.
- You will find a drop-down box under ‘Important Updates‘ section. Select ‘Never check for updates‘ to turn off the updates for your Windows OS.
- Now, click on ‘OK‘ to save and apply the changes which you have just made.
Read our detailed guide here
On executing the above-listed steps carefully, you can successfully solve ‘this copy of Windows is not genuine‘ error on your Windows 10 PC.
It is unlikely for a new background to be set on your PC. You need to change your background if you wish to manually. Also, if you wish to update your Windows files, you can undo the last step and receive all the updated files of Windows on your PC.
If you have any query regarding how to solve ‘this copy of Windows is not genuine‘ error on your PC, then please let us know about it in the comments section below.