How to Install Waveshare 3.5-inch LCD in Retro Pi Raspberry Pi
Before you start the LCD screen install Retro Pi in Raspberry Pi, From this link
How to install Retro Pi in Raspberry pi
WaveShare LCD 3.5 inch (Buying link)
And Crystal Clean Case (Buying link)
Retropie image must be installed. If you have not installed yet Click here
So the Very first step
- Install RetroPie on SD
- put sd card into RPI and start
- go to retropie settings, then raspi config
- and turn SSH ON!
- Connect to the Wifi
- Make sure you have PuTTy and WINSCP installed ( in a computer for controlling raspberry pi over the network.)
- Turn on WINSCP and connect to RPI using SFTP for host
- put your ip and user put pi and password is raspberry by default (you can always change this after)
- Using WINSCP find LCD-show-161112.tar.gz (download file here: http://www.waveshare.com/wiki/3.5inch_RPi_LCD_(A))
- Transfer LCD-show-161112.tar.gz from computer to root of sd card next to main retropie folders with WINSCP
- Connect with Putty to RPI.
- Execute this line in Terminal of Putty
cd curl -O https://raw.githubusercontent.com/adafruit/Raspberry-Pi-Installer-Scripts/master/pitft-fbcp.sh
sudo bash pitft-fbcp.sh
After this your tv screen will blink twice and some boot numbering will show on lcd. It will look bad, DON’T WORRY! Restart your RPI.
- Reconnect with Putty to RPI and put this command now
The menu will pop up. Go to the expanded file system and enable it.
You can also go to the following boot options and select the desktop login (every time i try this i get an error so i do not think it’s too important for my rpi to start as desktop login first)
Next Run this Command
tar xvf LCD-show-*.tar.gz
chmod +x LCD35-show
After the rebooting LCD and Hdmi Both Work Same in Your raspberry pi, Although, but for me, after the Retropie screen is loaded, for me, everything is messed up in the simulation station. Missing icon, missing text, can not access any content. It is a little but not scared!
- Connect to your RPI using PuttY again.
Execute the Command
This will update your Retropie image here you should choose update all installed packages.
Wait until is finished After the restart the retropi Should Display like this
Super Mario Bros Nintendo
So If you need to change the Orientation
Note – LCD screen orientation will initially be placed through the power cord and HDMI and top.
And if you want to Rotate the Orientation as 180
You should have to run this command
After this You should have to repeat the Step to Execute the retropi_setup.sh
cd RetroPie-Setupsudo ./retropie_setup.sh
Fix LCD LAG FPS
All this should be work. I’m still trying to fix the only problem when I run Retropie when the LCD screen is lagging behind. This can be adjusted by re-entering the Pi through the putty and running the command:
sudo nano /boot/config.txt
The command will open the Retropie profile and close to the bottom and you should be able to find your LCD overclocking option. Look for this command in the configuration file, you can modify these values:
If you have any suggestions, please leave the following comments, especially if you figure out how to access the menu option via RetroPie / Emulation Station because when I try it just to a black screen with a line of code at the top “Map vt->” or some rubbish, it stays there. So why do I have to make most changes through SSH. It was not important to me, but in order to facilitate the visit of everyone, if we could solve the problem, it would be cool.