If you are trying to determine an assessment tool for formative assessments you can use in your classroom Kahoot and Quizizz are two great choices to engage your students, but which one should you pick? It totally depends on what your requirements are.
Kahoot is a learning platform that is designed for both students and teachers. It can be used in blended learning and flip classrooms by making learning enjoyable and fun.
This cloud-based app is a great way to provide learning on the internet without sacrificing quality and make teaching more effective.
The game-based platform allows users to create new tests and quizzes, and it will enable users to develop their concepts and design custom learning programs for students.
Kahoot has more than 40 million games designed that anyone can play, making it easy and quick to start. It’s ideal for distance learning, mainly if you have limited time and budget.
It is a social platform that allows users to communicate with one another both in-person and online and is free to use and an enjoyable experience for students.
It is accessible on nearly any device with an internet browser, making it usable on computers, tablets, iPad, and mobile phones. Kahoot is a research-based education platform, which allows users to use it across all age groups and student capabilities.
Quizizz is an online assessment platform that allows students and teachers to create and use the other’s Quizzes.
Once students have been provided an access code exclusive to them, the quiz can be played in real-time, as a game with a deadline or homework set to a specific date.
After the test is completed, students can examine their answers.
Furthermore, the data is then collated into a spreadsheet, providing instructors an accurate picture of how students will analyze patterns in areas that might require additional focus.
The immediate feedback is utilized by teachers to modify future learning opportunities for students and to alter the subject’s emphasis by focusing more on the topics that students struggle with.
Kahoot vs Quizizz: Which Should You Use?
Kahoot vs Quizizz – Usage
Kahoot is a highly interactive platform. Its gamification way of assessing knowledge is enjoyable and thrilling. The interface is quite simple to use, and it lets both students and teachers receive immediate feedback and responses.
After logging in, you can create your own Kahoot’s games or take other users’ games and modify the games to suit your requirements.
Quizizz is also simple and has tutorials that help users access the answers and process them efficiently. The search bar allows you to locate topics and do a live chat to understand further details if required.
The interface is simple as well. The quizzes are accessible, and best of all, you can access them via any device. Furthermore, both of these platforms are free to join.
Kahoot vs Quizizz – Application Features
Features of Kahoot:-
Some of the prominent features of Kahoot are as follows:-
1. Using Ghost Mode
Kahoot keeps track of the performance of each student, which includes the scores for every question. In Ghost Mode, the game shows your previous tests as ghosts. It makes it simple to compare your earlier games against the present ones to track your performance.
Enhance students’ understanding through the analysis of results to identify what students have struggled with and how, and you can aid students in that particular area.
Utilize the variety of quizzes developed by other teachers and are accessible via Kahoot, which are accessible for free. You can even mix multiple Kahoot into a complete test.
4. Assessing Students
A Kahoot test can be an excellent way to test the student’s understanding before teaching a topic to keep it from being too simple or complicated for your class.
5. Nickname Generator
If you’ve ever fought with naughty nicknames during Kahoot, the Kahoot game, you’ll know that the generator lets you pick among three nickname options.
6. Use media
Include videos from YouTube extremely easily. It is an excellent option to allow students to take a look and learn, knowing that they’ll be quizzed when the video is over. It is also possible to add photos, or for the iOS application, you can also draw your own.
7. Mobile Application
Kahoot offers a mobile application that lets you design your games at the moment. You can also organize a Kahoot game using your mobile device and upload your photo album pictures.
As students, you’ll be able to participate in Kahoot competitions against your classmates as well as other students.
Features of Quizizz:-
Below are some of the distinctive features of Quizizz you will discover fascinating.
1. Incorporated Memes
Photos that include funny messages are a fun reward. They’re usually displayed after you’ve answered the question to show whether the question was answered correctly or incorrectly.
2. Addition of Mathematical Formulas, Images, and Audio to Your Questions
If you are creating your own set of questions, you may use the icons given below them. For instance, the media button will allow you to upload an image or an audio clip, and the math button gives you a keyboard with mathematical symbols.
3. Time Saver
Why should you reinvent the wheel? Quizizz comes with a feature that allows you to answer individual questions from previously created quizzes on the site.
4. Not for time
You can remove the timer so that kids don’t have to try to be the fastest constantly.
5. No Cheating
Questions and answers are rotated for every student. Questions are recorded on the phone, not the screen.
6. Homework Mode
The homework mode lets you set your homework to complete within the time frame specified in homework mode. This means that you don’t need to finish the game on your own. I believe that homework mode can be used as part of the choice boards or in rotation centers as well as stations.
7. Earning Power-Ups
Students can get power-ups if they’ve completed the test correctly. They are a combination of immunity for answering correctly at the second attempt and the power game if you score 50 percent more points in 20 minutes and two times for answering a single question.
Kahoot Vs Quizizz – Uses
Kahoot and Quizizz can be utilized to create quizzes and test students’ progress in learning. However, there are specific differences in the method of implementing the quiz made by these two apps.
The distinctions are as follows:-
1. The feature of instantaneous personal motivation is not present on the Kahoot Quiz in the case of Host Live.
It only shows the scores of the top five scorers. While in Quizizz, by using memes, you can motivate individuals and provide instant feedback on each question available in the quiz.
2. If the quiz was created via Quizizz, the questions and the multiple choices are shuffled. This kind of quiz reduces the chance of cheating when students are in one spot.
If Kahoot developed the quiz, then this feature of rearranging students is not possible. Since the students are in the same location close to one another, cheating is higher in situations like this test.
3. Kahoot Quiz, in the case of Host Live, requires a group or class of students who have their own devices in the same location and with a screen. Host Live Quiz designed by Quizizz can be used for a single person or several students sitting in different places and does not require a display screen.
4. Kahoot assigns marks based on accuracy and speed, while Quizizz award marks only on the grounds of precision.
Kahoot vs Quizizz – Similarities
1. The public’s opinion can be collected by-polls in both Kahoot and Quizizz apps.
2. Both Kahoot and Quizizz have a ‘Flashcards’ feature. The student can go over his skills with the help of these Flashcards.
3. Both Kahoot and Quizizz applications come with a Challenge feature. Learners can study with other students with this feature.
Kahoot vs Quizizz – Other Features
1. Special Mention
Kahoot allows students to connect in real-time to their classmates from over 180 countries. Additionally, students can use Ghost Mode to play against an earlier score.
Quizizz is integrated into Google Classroom, and this alone may be the key decision-making factor when choosing between the two programs.
2. Student Experiences
Kahoot and Quizizz both employ vibrant colors and fun music to create a lively gaming-like experience. In Kahoot, however, the players’ devices show colors and symbols, but only the correct answers must be displayed on the classroom screen.
This format unites the learning and encourages students to look up. Students who are using Quizizz can view both the answers and questions on their devices.
3. Student Data Tracking
Both tools are sloppy by the lack of choices for data that are permanent or the capability to track the growth of students and pinpoint their progress. Kahoot’s games for learning populate with data on-the-spot that educators may download and use and then view in Excel.
Using Quizizz, teachers can look at student reports to find out the questions they did not answer correctly or see students’ responses to questions. In either of the tools, you can not compare the data at the time of classes or for individual students because there is no student account requirement.
Teachers have to create accounts, and students can access the quizzes by using the Access code or PIN. Students can sign up for accounts using both of the tools.
4. Student Feedback
Kahoot gives quick, right-or-wrong feedback to students’ devices and the screen in the classroom. The updated ranks are displayed on the scoreboard in class after every question. Personal points are delivered to each device of the student.
Utilizing Quizizz, teachers can alter the feedback that students receive following each question on the test. Feedback can be via memes that display according to correct or incorrect answers.
Teachers also can decide how to use leaderboards, timers for questions, and even music. It’s a close call; however, Quizizz’s distinctive use of memes breaks the tie.
5. Quiz Creation and Game Variety
Kahoot, along with Quizizz, is in a neck-and-neck battle in terms of creating quizzes. Both of them allow teachers to design their quizzes or to use and remix existing quizzes. The variety of learning games formats distinguishes the two tools.
With Kahoot, teachers can design multiple-choice quizzes, discussions or surveys, and jumbles (students need to put their answers in the proper order).
With Quizizz, teachers are limited to a single-choice test format. The absence of types of questions restricts the learning process to facts and memory.
Kahoot vs Quizizz – Alternate Ways to Play
Both applications Kahoot and Quizizz, have alternative ways to conduct their quizzes and play learning games.
1. The Blind Kahoot Game
It is one of the methods to teach using Kahoot instead of reviewing. The game will ask difficult questions to your students at the start of the game.
After that, you’ll put some images, videos along with discussions and explain that question. It is scaffolding. Meaning you could teach a bit or ask a question and then repeat the same process repeatedly.
In Quizizz, there are two alternative methods to play this learning game.
1. Quizizz Games That Are Student-Created
It is possible to submit questions to be asked in the game with a Google Forms Survey.
To do this, import data in the spreadsheet linked with the questionnaire into a Quizizz game and then play the game immediately. It’s one of Quizizz’s student review, low-prep exciting options you don’t wish to leave out.
2. Fast and Curious Edu Protocol
Utilizing Quizizz in this manner can help reduce or eliminate the requirement for homework based on worksheets. It lets you play a short game and see the outcomes.
You could make a mini-lesson or review of students and their challenges. Replay the game as soon as you can and repeat the game every Monday until Wednesday.
If your students are achieving 90% or higher on Thursday, they can earn an A and let them move forward.
Kahoot vs Quizizz – Pros and Cons
Kahoot and Quizizz are excellent platforms for virtual education.
Pros of Kahoot:-
- Kahoot creates a positive learning environment for students by providing motivation.
- Kahoot provides significant interaction for students to enjoy their visual quizzes.
- It could be used as an assessment tool for teachers.
- This tool helps to reduce the monotony and boredom of teaching.
- It’s a lively platform.
- Kahoot improves student performance through an increase in the attendance of students.
- It reduces the frustration of students and anxiety that we observe in traditional formal assessments.
- It increases students’ enthusiasm levels, allowing their teachers to assess their comprehension using questions and polls.
Pros of Quizizz:-
- Quizizz is a no-cost service.
- Its versatility is impressive; it allows an instructor to utilize it in any subject area.
- With Quizizz, the software, you don’t need to display questions on a screen or board. It is because each student can play their own game of question and answer.
- It has a blog page that highlights the latest methods and highlights.
- It is easy to include Quizizz directly in Google Classroom.
- Quizizz lets you look at students’ notes and the questions that were incorrectly answered or incorrectly to help address any learning gaps.
- You can modify the fun memes to suit your school’s classroom community or even content and provide positive feedback to students.
- This section for teachers includes an introduction guide, help center, as well as a training presentation.
- You can use Quizizz for extra credit or fun trivia.
- You can also add additional inquiries from participants and then customize the questions to suit your needs.
Both Kahoot and Quizizz also come with their drawbacks, which include:
Cons of Kahoot:-
- It would be helpful if you had a reliable Wi-Fi connection for Kahoot to function.
- It has a complex method of keeping track of student progress.
- You aren’t able to make use of Kahoot without a mobile device.
- The background music can be disruptive and can cause a diversion.
- The intensity of competition may increase, creating tension and anger among the participants.
Cons of Quizizz:-
- When you copy a test from a quiz taken by another student, You must use the meme that the individual created, even if it’s not appropriate for your class.
- The process of adding memes can be complicated. It is necessary to find a meme many times. Also, the video tutorial may not be appropriately named.
- Access to smartphones, computers, or iPads may be a problem, particularly when you need to work on technology more frequently.
- There’s a limit to what kind of questions you can include in the quiz.
- Quizizz is perfect for facts and memory but is not ideal for more complex queries.
Kahoot vs Quizizz – Pricing
Kahoot’s base version is free. You can upgrade to a premium app version for an added cost and enjoy high-end consulting services as well as other integrations.
Quizizz provides a trial version, too. It’s an initial flat fee of $19 per user each month to add additional integrations.
Frequently Asked Questions
1. How Can Kahoot Be Useful to Use?
Kahoot is an incredible tool for learning that encourages students to study through interactive games. It’s a user-friendly and mobile-friendly platform that has an easy-to-use interface for making games and quizzes.
2. Can You Play Kahoot and Quizizz Remotely?
Kahoot, along with Quizizz, is an excellent tool for learning remotely. There will always be questions that you can answer on the device regardless of whether you’re playing in real-time or asynchronous mode. You can also play on any device without having to sign in.
3. Is Kahoot a single-player game, and for what grade and age is Kahoot meant for?
Kahoot is played most often live in groups. However, you can also play it on your own as a single player. The Android and iOS apps allow players to enjoy Kahoot on both devices.
It also has a preview feature to play live Kahoot while the phone is displayed using the screen. Kahoot is designed for students in grades K-12 and children ranging from 5-18 years old.
4. Is it possible to host Quizizz Live?
You can hold Quizizz live in two ways: Live and assign.
In general, you can choose the kind of game you’d like to play on your Quiz page. Live games are perfect for conducting live tests with students. Students must join the game by entering the code to take part in the game on their devices.
5. What is the unique feature of Kahoot?
Kahoot is the only tool that can facilitate engaging and enjoyable learning. With Kahoot, you can talk about and maintain collaboration as well as motivation about learning.
Also, you get real-time experiences with game mechanics and virtual moments, music, and backgrounds that aid students in discovering their strengths and potential.
6. Do you need an account to use and create your Quiz on the Quizizz application?
An account is not an essential requirement to use the Quizizz application. However, you must have an account to use certain Quizizz features and save your progress. If you sign up for an account, the information you provide will be saved to the platform.
Yes, you can make your quizzes by using an account for students. After that, you can include your questions or questions from quizzes you’ve already completed with the feature of teleport.
Teachers aim to offer games-based learning online to allow their students to test and practice their knowledge of a specific subject in classes. The most commonly used platforms at schools are Kahoot and Quizizz, providing students with an enjoyable and interactive way to learn their subject matter.
These platforms come with capabilities that allow students an effective way to go through their lessons. Teachers can design and modify their games that their students can benefit from. Each has its benefits and disadvantages to learning environments.
Kahoot and Quizizz are two e-learning apps that are widely employed for online tests. They can be utilized in classrooms, and they are perfect for remote learning.
What you make use of to conduct low-stakes quizzing in your class is your decision. On one day, it could be Kahoot. A different day could be Quizizz. It’s all up to you.