Digital payment or mobile wallets are now considered the ‘in’ thing. This is because they offer ease of convenience. The most popular digital payment system is Paytm. It has made a trusted name for itself since it was launched in 2010.
Let us learn more about Paytm and all its features and then look at some of the best Paytm alternatives.
What is Paytm?🧐 – A Brief Introduction
Paytm can be rightly addressed as India’s most prominent online e-commerce platform by offering online payments and financial solutions to customers, retailers, and service partners.
While Paytm’s primary business is digital payments, it also serves as a payment gateway to customers and merchants. The payment process is seamless and very convenient.
Slowly and steadily, Paytm India’s growth has been multifold. It now has the following subsidiary:-
- Paytm Money
- Paytm Mall
- Paytm labs
- Paytm Entertainment
- Downloads are more than 100 M+
- The file size is 49 MB
The services offered by Paytm can be classified under these broad categories which are:
1. Recharges & Bill Payments
- Prepaid and Postpaid mobile bill payments
- DTH, Broadband, and Cable TV Bill recharges
- Electricity Bill Payment
- Credit Card and Loan EMI payments
- Insurance payments
- Toll operator payments such as NICE e-pay
- Traffic Penalty Challan Payments
- Book tickets for flights, trains, and bus
- Book hotel rooms
- Obtain discounts on cab rides with Ola, Rapido, etc
- Discounts on recharging metro card
- Avail branch vouchers
- Purchase Electronics, Mobile Devices, and various other Home appliances
- eBay store
- Health & wellness, sports, and fitness
- Men’s & women’s fashion
- Toys & Kids shopping
4. Post-Paid Services
- Instant credit limit of up to 1 lakh
- Payment can be done in one shot or opt for EMI
- The credit limit can be used for various purchases and bill payments
- You can use Paytm postpaid as a credit card since it is accepted in over 5+ lakhs of shops, establishments, apps, and websites.
- Easy application for Paytm Postpaid services with just a single click on the Paytm app
5. Fastag Services
- Obtain FASTtag from the Paytm service with just a few clicks
- immediate and easy linking to the Paytm wallet
6. Banking Services
- Offers a ‘Zero balance’ requirement
- 2.75% annual interest on deposits
- Unlimited free transfer between banks and instant money transfer
- Rupay Platinum Debit/ATM card with offers
- Facility for opening a Paytm Savings Bank account with a single click
Paytm is undoubtedly the best online payment service partner with all the above services. Providing financial services has been so lucrative that many other companies have jumped into the fray.
So today, many good Paytm alternatives are available that match the services offered by Paytm and offer much more varied services.
Best Paytm Alternatives – Our Top Pick👌
1. Phonepe – Paytm alternatives to make payments seamlessly in India
As the name suggests, PhonePe is an Indian UPI payment service. It offers recharges and money transfers.
It was founded by Sameer Nigam, Rahul Chari, and Burzin, Engineer, in 2015. In the year 20016, PhonePe was acquired by Flipkart.
As per recent reports, there are more than 100 million users of this app.
It offers a range of benefits, such as instant cashback on every mobile recharge, bill payment, etc. This app is available for use on Android and iOS applications.
Many attractive offers and cashback are available when users download the PhonePe app and make the first payment.
- Downloads are more than 100 +
- The file size is 41 MB
- UPI facility available
- All major operators accept Bill payments
- Send and request money anytime; money transfer with BHIM UPI
- Recharge prepaid mobile services of all operators such as Jio, Vodafone, Airtel, Idea, etc
- Get refunds and cashback, all direct to the bank account
- Manage multiple bank accounts, check balances, etc., with more than 140+ banks
- Recharge Mobile, DTH, etc.
- Buy or renew insurance policies such as Medical, personal accident, car insurance, etc.
- Bill payments such as credit cards, gas bills, broadband bills
- Investments in mutual funds and others
- Make online payments for shopping sites such as Flipkart, Amazon, etc., or pay online for food orders from Swiggy and Zomato.
- Pay for online travel booking through MakeMyTrip, Goibibo, etc.
- Scan and pay via QR code at local restaurants, shops, etc.
- Purchase PhoneeP Gift cards across 1Lakh +stores
- Manage and track refunds
PhonePe has also been in the news recently for launching ‘Pulse.’ It is a free product that offers insights about the people who are paying digitally.
It gives much information and understanding on digital payments and various financial services used across the Indian states. Many granular data about how many transactions were made between users and merchants and paying utility bills is available.
These insights are made available through an API at no extra charge to benefit academics, analysts, policymakers, and other regulatory bodies.
The rationale behind Pulse was to offer clarity to people on digital payment behavior.
2. Amazon Pay
Amazon has now ventured into the online payment solution by launching Amazon Pay. It is a cloud-hosted payment gateway that was specially created with shoppers and merchants of Amazon in mind.
It is very similar to Paytm. However, Amazon offers a much wider range of services, such as sending money, recharging, bill payment, and so on.
It’s an easy-to-use and dependable solution. What makes Amazon pay more attractive is that it gives a reward for every transaction done via UPI.
Amazon payments offer two different packages- the first is ‘Pay with Amazon for merchants, and the second is ‘Login and Pay’ for shoppers.
The Amazon Pay app is available for download on Android, iOS, Desktop, and web-based apps. It is best suitable for small and medium businesses.
- Downloads are more than 100M+
- File size depends upon the device
- Payment of bills
- Recharge of various utilities
- Booking flights and bus tickets
- Paytm equivalent in USA
- Purchase of vehicle insurance
- Sending and receiving money via UPI
- Credit service – pay using Amazon pay and avail of credit
- Rewards on recharge and bill payment
- Log in and Pay feature enables users to experience and enjoy fast checkout.
- Information kept on Amazon is secure and safe.
- Extensive features to attract potential buyers and convert them into actual customers.
- Merchant website integration
- Fraud protection
- Inline checkout
- Pay with Amazon package helps online stores to expand their capabilities, establish their business and build strong customer relationships.
- Log in and Pay simplifies the payment process on mobile or browser. This tool helps to browse e-commerce sites, choose the items required and pay for them without the cart or checkout formalities.
Amazon has an excellent reward system to attract potential customers. It has streamlined the buying process to make it straightforward.
For example, the app allows users to access data from the merchant site and streamlines the purchase process. It eliminates the need to enter basic information such as name, credit card details, address, etc.
All this is done with the utmost confidentiality and without any lapse in data security. In addition, users can enhance their loyalty through customizable repeated payments. In short, the attractive features of Amazon Pay are its general usability, rich feature set, and mobile support.
Using these features, Amazon has scored multiple points over Paytm. Also, users are assured the product is the best and their information is secure. A protection plan from the store covers it.
- Amazon easily integrates with various hopping sites and WordPress to receive payment from users.
- It is simple, and payment can be remitted easily and securely, including employee salaries.
- Cashback benefits on payments and banking services help compare the banking products and make the necessary improvements.
- Metro cards can be recharged, and tickets for travel, movie bookings, etc., can be made.
- Gifts can be sent to your near and dear ones.
- The support team of Amazon Pay is top-notch and very customer friendly
- Not much advertising is done about it on various social media
- Not much information is available about its offline feature.
- Too frequent updates can frustrate many users as they consume internet data and cause confusion.
3. Google Pay – Paytm alternatives To Pay Friends and Business
Google Pay is slowly becoming the most preferred method of payment. They are very aggressively advertising their service on various media, which has steadily increased their popularity.
Google Pay makes it super easy to send money online, similar to another wallet similar to other apps, which has etched its name by giving the simplest way to transfer money, recharge, and other services.
Small amounts, such as paying the local tea seller, are also made possible by Google pay. It is suitable to use across all platforms, such as iOS and Android, etc.
- Downloads are more than 100 M+
- File Size depends upon the device
- The transactions done on Google Pay are instant
- Money can be transferred/received directly from Bank accounts
- The Tez Shield feature promises multilayered security with 24×7 protection from fraud. So the transactions are highly secure due to its multi-tier authentication procedures
- Transactions, whether small or significant, are processed instantaneously
- The Google App is available in several Indian languages, thereby making it more accessible and acceptable to people
- Multiple payment options are provided vide mobile numbers and through VPAs (Virtual Payment Addresses)
- Rewards systems using scratch cards and other lucrative cash backs and offers are provided, which enhance Google Pay’s popularity. The cashback received is directly credited to the bank account
- The app is compatible with various banks and provides foolproof security, comprehensive network coverage, and exemplary service quality.
- The cash mode feature enables users to transfer money to other Google Payers without entering a bank account number or mobile number.
- Provides pre-approved loans by providing approvals to users through the app in a matter of few minutes
- Facilitates payments at retail stores such as Big Bazaar and FBB
- Google Pay for businesses helps entrepreneurs to connect directly with customers by providing amazing deals.
- Companies whose bank accounts are linked with Google Pay can receive payments up to Rs. 50,000/- from the customers directly.
- Can donate to specific funds of the Government
- No hidden costs
- Good reward systems such as cashback and gift vouchers
- An app with zero investment which is ideal for business purposes
- Easy payment method by scanning the QR code
- Notifications about the expiry of recharges etc., are sent in advance
- Balance check made easy by just entering UPI pin
- Self-money transfer to other accounts is made easy when linked by Google pay.
- Utility bills payment are made simple and easy
- Keeps the record of the amount sent and when sent
- When a payment fails, then the money is held for around 5-7 business days
- Minor delays in payment, such as failing to credit the receiver on time
- A bad network will affect the performance of Google Pay
It can be rightly said that Google Pay has revolutionized the payments market in India. It has employed its vast features and easy money transactions to attract users across all economic states.
Google Apps’ interface and user experience are the best compared to similar payment apps.
Google pay gives the best performance. It provides perfect compatibility with small businesses that do not have a POS machine to swipe cards.
Also, people have blind trust in anything associated with Google. So the use of Google Pay services is extensively spread, and so is its hold on popularity.
4. Jiomoney Wallet
The Jio money wallet needs no introduction. It is an Indian online wallet application offered by Jio. It is making the buzz all over India.
Recent statistics show that more than 10 million users are using this app.
JioMoney Wallet offers a range of services, such as quick recharges, booking train tickets, and more. Just load the money into the Jiomoney wallet using a debit/credit card or even a net banking service.
After that, you can enjoy making transactions through the JioMoney Wallet. Like similar apps, this app also has great reward offers such as cashback and coupons.
Jio SIM users can automatically install the JioMoney app on their mobile. For non-Jio SIM users can download the app from the app store. To recharge the JioMoney wallet, there is no need for a bank account. This app can be downloaded on iOS and Android.
- The file size is 20 MB
- Downloads information is not available
- Recharges done instantly
- Can send money to other JioMoney users
- Great deals and offers from various JioMoney partners, eCommerce payments
- Cashbacks and other rewards on recharges and bill payments
- Train tickets etc., can be booked using this app
- Loyalty cards
- Barcode scanning at various merchant stores for faster payment
- Pay bills online and also recharge mobile/DTH etc., in one single app
- Insurance premiums can be paid in just a few seconds
- Make payments to Jio dealers using the JioMoney app since Jio smartphones are used in most rural areas.
- JioMoney Wallet is accepted at all Reliance outlets, such as Reliance Retail, Reliance Digital, Reliance Fresh, and Reliance Jewels.
- Bookmarking feature for frequently visited merchants, thereby making access easier and faster.
- Transaction History records can be accessed in a flash, eliminating the need to preserve old bills and receipts.
- Jiomoney wallet is accepted only a few sites
To summarize, JioMoney helps to make secure cash-free transactions anytime and from anywhere. All credit/debit cards and bank accounts can be securely stored and conveniently used for fast payments. Reliance Industries was one of the ten companies that received a license to set up a payments bank from the RBI.
As per a recent news update, Jio Money Management had talks with more than 10 million small merchant retailers across 400,000 villages to sign up with them.
It is expected that the JIO Money ecosystem will be an enthusiastic partner for creating a digitally enabled and strong Indian economy.
5. Mobikwik – Paytm alternatives For UPI, Bills, PayLater
Another popular mobile recharge service provider is Mobikwik. It is also one of the best PayTm alternatives with an online wallet that specializes in transactions done in the digital field.
For example, Mobikwik enables recharge, bill payments, money transfers, etc. Today more than 10 million users are using the Mobikwik app, and the numbers are steadily rising.
Launched in 2009, it is considered one of the most self-contained mobile payment networks, with over 32 million users.
In addition, this service has many benefits, as it offers supercash as a cashback reward. The app works well with Android, iOS, and Windows.
- Downloads have been around 50 M+
- The file size is about 22 MB
- Recharge is enabled on any mobile operator; bill payments can be made for Electricity, water, gas, and so on.
- DTH recharges possible
- Instant personal loans
- Money transfer is simplified
- E-wallet allows loading money using bank cards, net banking, and door-to-door financial services.
- Expense tracker feature to help users to set expense budgets with SMS data to analyze and control spending
- Zero pick-up charge for cash pick-ups.
- Check pending transactions
- Large and small credit loans are provided without any collateral or mortgage.
- The ‘Zip’ feature has the spend now pay later facility. If there is no balance in your digital wallet, you can add a credit up to Rs. 30000/- at zero cost. Payment can be made after 15 days. So no need to worry about having no cash in your wallet
- Request money from your reliable contacts if money is urgently required
- Offers the most significant number of cashback benefits amounting to around 30% – 50%
- During specific festivals, the cashback is even more
- Partnership with more than 12 electricity boards in 8 Indian states
- Highly encrypted wallet system, thereby minimizing the risk of burglary
- SuperCash reward system wherein 10-15 % of SuperCash Money can be used as a discount on various payments
- Cashless bus rides wherein users can enjoy a cashback of rs.100 on booking on Mobikwik
- Cash pick-up facility available only in some cities such as Delhi, Mumbai, and Jaipur.
Per confirmed reports, there has been a 40% increase in online activities, as reported by Mobikwik. This was after the Government decided to ban 500 and 1000 rupee notes.
Mobikwik offers a lot of exceptional benefits. With Mobikwik, users can save around 1% annually by investing in direct plans and more than 3000 mutual fund schemes with no charges.
This app has no hidden costs and no paperwork, and it takes around 5 minutes to open an account. To avail of large credit amounts, personal details are needed for verification, and the app will show the eligible amount.
There is a hassle-free application process, after which the loan amount will be loaded into the Mobikwik wallet. Please note that the interest will be charged only on the withdrawn amount.
6. Freecharge – Paytm alternatives To Recharge, Money Transfer & Loan
As the app’s title suggests, Freecharge provides recharge and bill payment services without additional cost.
Like the apps discussed above, Freecharge is an online payment provider and a good contender for Paytm’s alternative. To date, it has been installed by more than 10 million users.
The USP of Freecharge is that it will send an SMS notification with all details for every transaction made. Also, cashback can be earned by applying the promo code.
The recent additional feature is the ‘pay later service, wherein a seamless one-click payment can be made. These transactions can be for purchases or payments.
The transactions can be made using your smartphone, tablet, or smartwatch. The app is compatible with downloading on Android and iOS.
- Seamless mobile recharges and DTH recharges.
- Easy and instant recharging process and a hassle-free online experience.
- Easy UPI payments and bill payments around-the-clock
- Google Play store recharge
- Donations can be made instantly to leading NGOs such as the Akshaya Patra Foundation, Magic Bus India Foundation, Maitri India, etc. Many more such NGOs are being added regularly to the FreeCharge network.
- Split Bill option. No more trying to figure out how much each one needs to pay when out for lunch/dinner with friends. The split Bill option on FreeCharge makes this tedious task more manageable.
- Mutual funds investments are simplified.
- Chat n Pay service for social payments to friends, family, and merchants in less than 5 seconds
- P2P & P2M payments are made in a matter of seconds. Using P2M(Person to Merchant), small shopkeepers can be located, viewed, and chatted, and product images can be exchanged and paid for on the chat once the order is delivered. All that is required is either their phone number or merchant code. This eliminates the lengthy card/account details.
- Safe and secure transactions with Freecharge’s patented ‘On-the=go-pin’ technology.
- Scan and Pay using the BHIM UPI QR code. No need to furnish phone number details to use this feature.
- After registering on FreeCharge App, digital payments can be made in less than 1 minute.
- Simple voucher redemption with no complex terms and conditions
- Best discounts and vouchers
- Smooth interface which is easy to understand and use
- Providing coupons to customers regularly
- Planning and scheduling month-end payments with the Bill Reminders options wherein recurring payments are reminded two days before the due date, and payments can be made from the FreeCharge Wallet in less than 10 seconds.
- Some gas providers are not included in the cashback benefits
- Transactions have failed due to unknown reasons
Initially, the app’s first version was not very attractive. However, after being acquired by SnapDeal, it has undergone a drastic transformation.
Freecharge is on a mission to get merchants in the organized and unorganized sectors to be an essential part of the digital payments ecosystem.
It has been noted that FreeCharge has been heavily patronized by startups, SMEs, Agencies, and Enterprises. Its focus is more on creating a great user experience.
Many users love its ease of use. In addition, it has turned out extremely reliable. This, in turn, helps an easier transition from cash to e-cash. Overall, FreeCharge is committed to assisting India to move closer to an e-cash economy.
What can I use instead of Paytm?
You can try utilizing one of the many excellent Paytm substitutes, such as PhonePe, GPay, Amazon Pay, Jiomoney Wallet, etc., to access helpful features like recharges, bill payments, UPI money transfers, credit services, auto insurance purchases, and much more.
Which app is equal to Paytm?
GPay and PhonePe are two of the closest competitors of Paytm. They offer seamless UPI payment services and other features like bill payments, insurance, train, and railway ticket booking, movie ticket booking, multiple types of investments, and much more.
Which is better, PhonePe vs. Paytm?
Compared to PhonePe, Paytm offers more services. Just have a look at Paytm Mall’s size! The smooth experience of using services like movie reservations, etc., is another.
In some services, Paytm triumphs over PhonePe, while PhonePe takes the lead in others. For example, booking movie tickets on Paytm is simple.
However, PhonePe makes it simpler to purchase railway tickets and check the status of trains. Compared to the PhonePe app, the Paytm online payment platform is a little more focused and has a less obvious future.
Due to its enormous space, the PhonePe platform’s user interface is marginally superior to Paytm’s.
Which UPI app is better?
Three of the greatest and most well-known UPI apps, GPay, Paytm, and PhonePe, provide many functions and services.
Paytm is renowned for delivering various services like money transfers, cellphone recharge, Paytm Postpaid, power bill payment, credit card payment, education fees, and much more.
GPay is renowned for delivering a very simple and smart user experience. However, PhonePe is the most user-friendly of all three tools, making the entire money transfer procedure incredibly straightforward and highly safe.
It depends on your tastes and preferences because each of these programs is excellent in its way.
Which UPI is safest?
UPI apps: BHIM, GPay, PhonePe, Paytm, etc.—offer safe and secure money transfers between UPIs and bank accounts.
There aren’t many reports pointing to any form of security flaw from these four market leaders in UPI apps.
Is GPay better than Paytm?
Compared to GPay, Paytm has some advantages. For example, you can use a credit card to pay bills and recharge your mobile device. On the other hand, you can’t use credit cards to make payments using GPay.
Therefore, if your money is running low and your bill is due, you can pay it through Paytm with a credit card. Thus, Paytm can save your life, especially if you don’t have any money in your bank account.
Although GPay competes successfully in the Indian market for payment apps, Paytm performs better than the other two in terms of the overall user interface, app speed, and payment options.
Which is better, Paytm or BHIM?
The Paytm app is now a mobile wallet, but the BHIM app is based on the Unified Payment Interface (UPI).
Therefore, Paytm is preferable when paying for various services like mobile recharge, power bill payment, etc., whereas the BHIM app is better when transferring money from one account to another.
Is Paytm a Chinese company?
No, Paytm was started on August 10, 2010, in Noida, India, with an initial investment of US$2 million by creator Vijay Shekhar Sharma.
Conclusion on the Paytm alternatives list
With more than 350 million downloads, Paytm undoubtedly is the most commonly used payment app In India. From street vendors to commercial establishments, the use of Paytm is spread all over India.
While Paytm continues to have its share of loyal customers, the Paytm alternatives are also slowly and steadily attracting customers, such as Google Pay, Amazon Pay, and others discussed above.
Paytm alternatives are slowly and steadily gaining a stronghold in the digital payments field by offering a diverse range of features and attractive discounts.
But as read and understood from the above article, there is no one perfect Paytm alternative that brings all services under one app.
However, as a user, you have a lot of choices and can select the best in this range by choosing the app which serves your interest best. Most of the apps discussed above are available for download in the various App Stores such as Playstore, Appstore, etc.