XRF as a technique is non-destructive for analysis that has applications in many areas. The technique provides an almost immediate elemental material analysis.
And when you use this in portable devices, like what’s possible with the handheld XRF devices, the technology will provide very important benefits for mining businesses where the business survival may often depend on carrying out sample analysis fast to detect the best resources economically fast. Actually, there are so many key applications of the technology which will improve the mining operations. The technology will also enhance productivity.
This is why this technology is so highly valued by so many industries today. Needless to mention, the benefits are even greater when the technology is available through a portable and handheld analyzer.
Let us now take a look at the top 5 reasons why these analyzers are so useful. Check them out –
Reason #1 – As a technology, this is extremely unique. It deals with the irradiation of samples both solid, liquid by using high-energy x-radiation coming from controlled x-radiation tube. This leads to secondary emission on x-ray. The fluorescence you get is distinctive for the sample’s elemental composition.
Remember, all the elements contain their own unique characteristic “finger print”. That’s why the tech can tell precisely the elements found in your sample and also their quantities in them. This kind of information is extremely valuable for those who are into mining as the mining sites typically are spread over a large area. The mining businesses have to know exactly where the focus should be because this will save both resources, time.
Information provided by using this technology in different areas of mining site will be invaluable for the miners. With this data, they can easily target the deposits having the best quality. They can now avoid making costly mistakes that will obviously leak money.
Reason #2 – XRF is very sensitive for metallic elements as well, especially the elements that range starting Ti-U in your periodic table. This is yet another benefit of the XRF precious metals analyzer. XRF can easily be applied while coating this thickness analysis to a multi-layered, single coating, over non-metallic, metallic substrate.
In case of analyzing alloys, the tech will be able to find out the percent composition of all the elements of alloying and can also identify the designations of grade number of the alloy. In cases of solutions analysis, you will be able to quantify metal ions on the plating baths, which is useful in process control.
So here are some ways in which it helps –
- It analyses quickly – you will get the data you need in seconds only
- Non-destructive methodology
- Little sample preparations
- It’s a versatile technique that you can apply for many matrix samples
- It is cheap. Even beginner operators can use it. You don’t need to involve a scientist for this work.
- You can analyze almost all metallic elements simultaneously
- You can carry out small-spot examination on a big sample to find micro features
- This testing method is accepted widely by industry
Reason #3 – You can use the portable analyzers anywhere, anytime you want. These devices are strong gadgets and are light weight as well. Use them on the field, even when the conditions are very demanding, provided you have the best quality XRF analyzer with you.
This will give you laboratory quality results and that too in just a few seconds instead of days or several weeks, which is usually what happens when you use traditional lab checking methodologies. This investigation is extremely valuable for business.
Those into mining enjoy distinct advantages, especially when it is essential to report on time and when there has been good capital investment.
Here are some of the advantages of using this technology.
- Speed – Handheld XRF devices will allow you to make decisions quickly. In mining, for example, you can decide whether you should drill, relocate the equipment, the areas where you must focus, and right time for making the sample to test in the laboratory.
- Real-Time Reports – Those into field analysis can see a definite improvement in performance because they will get important data quickly that will help them make better operational decisions. This will have an impact on the finances, which will please both the investors and the management.
- Better Sample Density – When you run field essays, you get better data. Pre-qualified samples can also be delivered to the off-site lab. Better analysis provides improved statistics. It gives you the target’s comprehensive picture, which is better than testing at the traditional laboratory method.
Reason #4 – Handheld analyzers will give you the geochemical data quickly for quick anomalous zone delineation. You will also get quantitative, in-depth analysis of the metal concentration to carry out geochemical mapping. This will reduce the lead time that’s often critical for business.
For quarry mining procedures, it can give you assay data of explorations quickly, which guides mine operations. These handheld analyzers also allow the geologists to get data quickly and send it to the lab, the people in operations management so that they can collaborate and make informed decisions.
In gas, oil exploration, these gadgets are very useful in upstream work for exploration, production. The rocks’ chemical examination can be carried out on-site, its cores, cuttings may be utilized to identify formations. This helps in finding the rock’s mineral composition.
Reason #5 – XRF is always right even without any sample preparation. The handheld devices can do easy point, shoot work efficiently. Sample preparation can still be essential or you can proceed without it as well. It depends on the acceptable accuracy, application.
You can get reliable data for many elements even without any sample preparation, especially for the base metals. This is useful for spot decisions. You can carry out field sample preparation quickly when you need higher accuracy and then do analysis work with your portable instrument.
Reason #6 – The tech is always improving. XRF is becoming faster and more accurate, like in the case of analyzing light element, for example.