If you want to know some of the best Xbox one mystery games, you are reading the right post. The Xbox one is one of the most popular gaming consoles. Yes, the PS4 is very good, but so is the Xbox One.
The Xbox series X gaming console was released in 2020, and we know it will be an exceptional product. Using the Xbox one, you can play a wide range of games that are available on the market.
In this post, we will take a look at some of the best Xbox one mystery games.
Best Xbox One Mystery Games: Our Top Pick 👌
1. Sherlock Holmes: Crimes and Punishments
Sherlock Holmes: Crimes and Punishments (Download Here) are first on our list of Xbox one mystery games on the market. When you search for a game that can tick all the boxes, it has to be Sherlock Holmes: Crimes and Punishments.
That is because you cannot have a mystery game list without the man. Please welcome Dr. Sherlock Holmes, who has cracked hundreds of cases that seemed impossible to the ordinary mortal.
The man can see the sand on your shoes and tell you where you have been to. We will not reveal too much about this game and spoil the party for you. The plot is simple, as you must pick the clues and solve the crime scene.
It is all about putting everything together in the right spot. You cannot expect anything from a typical Sherlock Holmes game. If you have gone through some of the detective novels, you would know what that means.
This, by far, is one of the best games depicting our hero, Sherlock Holmes, at least for today. We were high in anticipation of Sherlock Holmes: Crimes and Punishments, which has not only lived up to but exceeded our expectations.
Features of this game are:-
- The game contains more than 5 cases that are excellently written and comes with exceptional opportunities for Holmes to do what he does best, solve crimes with ease.
- How Holmes sways around the crime scene, searches for clues, picks up the smallest of them, and then solves them with simplicity is awesome.
- Though each case is related to murder, they are entirely different from each other, giving you that interest.
- You have a death caused by ritual killings and a harpoon. The storyline thickens with each case.
- Like every mystery case, the individual who you least expect would have done the crime.
- As you play each of the cases, you feel that most stories are stale, with little use of Dr. Watson.
- If you are an avid Holmes fan, you do know that most of Holme’s cases would have been very bland if it weren’t for Dr. Watson. He provided much-needed arguments and suggestions.
- In one case, you have Mycroft, Holme’s brother showing up. He is an influential British government official who can clean up things quickly. You get to control Holmes effortlessly. Most of the work is also pre-programmed.
- You are merely following his footsteps. The designers of the game have marked the objects. You have the option of finding things yourself or taking help from the game.
- The graphics were awesome in this game. We were spellbound with the new look. The details are clear and beautiful. It is as if you are watching a real movie unfolding before you.
So, what did we find unique in Sherlock Holmes: Crimes and Punishments? Yes, the game comes with some fantastic visuals, the cases are worthy, and the puzzles are not the same.
They are quite intriguing. However, we did find that the game comes with some conclusions that are not practical at times. We also felt that the morality system was not required.
Sherlock Holmes: Crimes and Punishments is one of the best Xbox one mystery games, hands down. You do not have to be a Sherlock Holmes fan to play this game, as it comes with intense visuals and plot.
You will find this game quite exciting if you have played it on your PC or gaming console. We found the cases thoroughly pleasant to crack and decode.
They come in their unique circumstantial evidence, but if you are alright with some cases not going your way, then it is fine.
2. L. A. Noire
L. A. Noire (Download Here) is second on our Xbox one mystery games list. If you ask any professional gamer about mystery games, pat comes the reply, L.A Noire. You will be amazed that even real-life detectives have been stunned by this performance.
The storyline is based in Los Angeles, the center of all attractions. We found it to be one of the best games as your minds are taken for a big ride to understand what you are up to.
You sometimes chase the wrong people; it is so good at deceiving new gamers. We would like to mention here that this game is not the same as that developed by Rockstar. They usually do not design games related to the mystery but have done them here.
Some notable features of the game are:-
- You are not the bad guy running around breaking all rules. Here you are the one who has to uphold the law with both your hands. The city is at your mercy to restore the pathetic situation present during the violent 1940s.
- From the start itself, the game is quite slow-paced. You must learn to understand the suspect and find out if they are lying.
- The earlier you can grasp that feature, the better for you throughout the game.
- The designers have made use of MotionScan. This is a new technology that can help you improve your performance. The glance you take, the wrinkle, the grimaces of your suspects, and the hard swallow is incredible.
- The features offer you an exceptional cinematic-like experience in the game. We loved the interrogation scenes, which are the main highlight of the game. They are extremely captivating, and that core is very good.
- Once you are at a crime scene, you must think like a detective. As you can question the suspects and note them in your book, you need to decide whether they are telling the truth or lying.
- When you catch them red-handed, they tell you the truth, and you have more clues.
- Did we find drawbacks in this Xbox one mystery game? Yes, L.A. Noire does come with its own set of flaws. The pace at which the game unfolds can be concerning.
Though we did not feel it was a significant issue, some gamers did voice their opinions on that. But the game comes with it a very new unique appearance that makes it suitable for entertainment.
The storyline works well; you do not have problems with chasing people, shooting, when taking cover, and so on. You also effortlessly understand how you can interrogate people. In a mystery game, these were some of the crucial elements that had to be covered.
The designers have done a tremendous job. We found L.A. Noire is different from other mystery games, but the pace can break the deal for some gamers. You do not have to like Noir to play this game.
The character can draw you in quickly, and the side friends are good enough.
Nobody has played like this, and hence not many complain about the sequel. We can credit the designers for coming up with a splendid game that is good in several areas.
L.A. Noire might not be the best mystery game on the market, but it has the potential to offer you intense excitement to try it out with a brilliant game narrative.
3. The Wolf Among Us
The Wolf Among Us (Download Here) was released in 2013 and remains hugely popular among gamers globally. The Xbox one mystery games is a Telltale game series that makes it an ideal game in this category.
Gamers would be delighted to know that it comes with 5 series consecutive. This mystery game comes with a crime scene of a murder. The Wolf Among Us is a game designed by Telltale Games, which has defined adventure games with excellent narration and visuals.
Notable features of this game include:-
- The game is an adaptation of Bill Willingham’s Fables. You are Bigby Wolf, the wonderful sheriff of New York City.
- The first episode is known as Faith. The adventure of the sheriff is funny and adventurous at the same time. There is a small dose of everything in the plot. Gamers were delighted with the first episode and all it brought them.
- The second episode was named Smoke and Mirrors, which has more than 90 minutes of scenes that bring you to the brutal side of this game series. Sadly, the story was not moved much, and gamers were equally disappointed. However, you must make strong and bold decisions to determine the game’s conclusion.
- The third episode of the game series is called A Crooked Mile. This one did not disappoint anybody and came as a brutal and emotional episode. The right side of this part is that it takes the plot forward. You feel powerful but vulnerable against some forces of evil.
- The fourth episode is known as In Sheep’s Clothing, where you get to see persuasive writing in the game. Similar to episode 3 in The Wolf Among Us, you have slow progress. However, the setup for the next episode is well narrated.
The final episode, or the fifth one, is known as Cry Wolf. Unlike the first 2 episodes, the last one was just fantastic. At times, you have to go back and find out if you missed vital clues during the game.
The narration and the action were excellent. Since we have a brief idea of what to expect from the 5 episodes, let us read what happens in the plot. It is set in Fabletown, which is located in Manhattan.
Do you want to play The Wolf Among Us? Yes, you should. You do not have to be a huge fan of mystery and mystique, if we may put it that.
This game puts you in a situation where trust is a huge issue. You are faced with situations that are created by your circumstances.
So, you cannot blame anybody apart from yourself. Telltale’s work has a tight plot, vivid imagination, and excellent game direction.
Unlike other games, this one does not flinch even once. You are left with a protagonist cop who does his best to maintain law and order in an impoverished environment. We are sure that you will remember that Fabletown will also have fond memories.
4. The Walking Dead
The Walking Dead (Download Here) is perhaps one of the best Xbox one mystery games. The name itself feels quite adventurous, doesn’t it? Similar to The Wolf Among Us, this game is based on the same Telltale comic books.
It comes from 5 episodes that were released in 2012. This is similar to the Zombie apocalypse. Perhaps, you would have seen some series or movies based on zombies.
They can be scary and fun at the same time. What do you do when you are surrounded by zombies all over?
A few exciting features of the game are:-
- We found that the visuals, characters, and plot are just superb in this game. Not to mention, this is one of those Xbox one mystery games that concentrate on the story.
- Many games usually have the same concept of making you decide between good and evil. While some of you choose to be good, some prefer the bad. However, in The Walking Dead, you do not have that choice because you already live in an apocalyptic world.
- Here, there is no right and wrong. You can come together to create an experience that can be pessimistic and memorable as well.
- It is not bad, but it is not good either. You are amid the downfall of humanity. The main character is Lee Everett, who is a murderer and is getting escorted to prison. The zombie apocalypse waylays them.
- Clementine then accompanies him. She is a young child who is now on her own. Unlike most of the games in this Xbox one mystery game list, this one is quite different. The game is more centered around what you do.
- There are no tasks or crime scenes to discover and solve. You just keep moving on in the game. For example, you need to find a few batteries for yourself to use the radio.
- These little chores come with a useful purpose. It allows you to explore the work and find out how things work there.
- You do not want to remove the heads of the monsters present in the game. In this game, there is minimal use of the story, which may seem slightly annoying.
- You begin to think you are part of this world without letting yourself off completely. The narration and the writing are excellent. It deserves mention here. The characters come well researched and developed.
- It is as if you are dealing with real human beings with feelings and emotions. As a gamer, you would want to know that your actions have a significant impact. Hence, you would want to think well before you move ahead.
You can help some of the off-characters you see in the game, and you never know when they might end up helping. Gamers have noticed numerous flaws, like freezing the screen once too often. It makes you annoyed with the fact that you are just in an intense action sequence.
At times, you also find that saved files unexpectedly disappear. However, you do have some flickering issues that can be frustrating at times.
You may find that some plots are dull and drab at times. It can provide you with a good experience that comes flawed in certain areas. This is an intimate plot that allows you to completely walk down your horizon.
Gamers have plenty of options and choices that they can make for themselves. With the help of these choices, you can fill out the story. It makes you bond with the character, which only a few games can do.
As we said, some glitches can be overcome. They remind you that this is just a game but a story you must not miss at any cost.
5. What remains of Edith Finch
What remains of Edith Finch (Download Here) is next on our list of Xbox one mystery games. When you want to play a game that can change your mood and provide you with intense action, then it is this game.
However, you might want to be warned that this game can take you out of your emotional control at times. The storyline is about family members who are left clueless because of a relative’s death.
Some exciting features of this game are:-
- As you play the game, you become more attached to the fact that you had somebody close to Edith Finch. The game is on par with Gone Home and Firewatch, where you are told about an unfortunate story of somebody dying.
- Your character explores the house. As you do so, you experience each family member as they may have been.
- Like this, you learn and find out how each of the family members died. The developer Giant Sparrow who had developed The Unfinished Swan, has proved their mettle in this game.
- The game lasts for about 2 hours, and you can easily find out where things are moving in which direction.
- The narration of the story is done fantastically. Edith Finch narrates about each of her family members and how they disappeared.
- The perspectives and storylines of each of the families are entirely different from each other. Listening to the end of the lives of the members is slightly frantic in a way.
You are overwhelmed by how they embrace it and accept their fate. Gamers come to learn how they are related to each other. We were quite impressed with the visuals presented to us about the house. You feel you are walking inside a real home in your neighborhood.
How you interact with each item in the house gives a lovely feel. You do not feel as if you are stuck inside a museum, where you can only observe and see things without touching them.
Here, you can touch on the items of interest. These items can lead you to massive clues. Yes, you can play the game in less than 2 hours. But, when you are done and look at the game’s ending, you restart it automatically.
It is that good a game to play repeatedly. How the game proceeded does not leave you with any time to absorb.
Only when you take your time and combine the happenings of the game do you realize that you learn the final moments. It is when you are left behind with a lovely, heart-wrenching, sad ending that exudes life when mired in death.
6. Outer Wilds
Outer Wilds (Download Here) is one of the most different Xbox one mystery games on our list. That is because this game pushes you off-limits.
What that means is, that you have to solve the crime in most games, but in this game, you have to do more. You need to explore the solar system and the universe. As weird as it may sound, that is the concept of this game.
Features of the game include:-
- It provides you with a unique but content experience. Something that you might not think of when playing games to uncover mysteries.
- The game comes with three endings, and that is a lot. Mystery games generally come with a single conclusion; once you find the culprit, the game is finished.
- Anyways coming back to the game, this space exploration game comes filled with puzzles. You have to control an anthropologist specializing in the alien study and uncover the mysteries of Nomai.
- There is an ancient race whose ruins are present on most of the planets. Five planets consist of moons and other areas of access.
We cannot reveal everything here. You need to set out using your spaceship. Hopefully, when you travel around, things might fall in place. You do have an option to practice with the home planet.
That is because it takes time to learn the rules of the game. Flying the spaceship itself is quite a hassle. The momentum of your spacecraft needs to be carefully handled. Otherwise, you can crash on the planets that you want to land.
At times, it can get painfully annoying as well as exciting. It depends on how you look at it. You need to be able to land accurately in the 22-minute game. You are provided ample entertainment when you play the game for the first time.
The game revolves around exploration. If you are somebody who expects something new each time you play the game, then this game is for you. We also liked that you can access some planets only during certain time zones.
You must reach the right place at the right time as it provides immense leads. Though you feel that you have discovered everything, you are astonished at certain things.
Your spaceship saves the bullet points you require when you need the information to make the next move. However, we did feel lost at times. In this game, you have to figure out everything yourself, even when you are not sure about how to take things.
On the planet Brittle Hollow, you cannot access it directly but use crystals to walk on it. You can complete the game in 20 minutes if you are lucky to unlock everything. Usually, the normal time taken is 2-3 hours.
When you like playing technically good games, then Outer Wilds is worth your time. Outer Wilds is an Xbox one mystery game that comes with the tricky exploration of being able to solve puzzles.
How the plot unfolds differs from other non-linear gameplay. Most of the time, throughout the game, the events do not unfold as expected. That is where the mystery lies. You keep finding out something new at every step as you follow the story closely and reach to totally unexpected conclusions.
7. Return of the Obra Dinn
Return of the Obra Dinn (Download Here) is next on our list of mystery games you can play on your priced Xbox one. This is one of the most mysterious games one could ever play.
You play an insurance evaluator who is stunned and equally surprised by the sudden appearance of a merchant ship after 5 years.
The style and narration of the main character are just fantastic. It is your job to find out what happened to the merchant ship after so many years. How many passengers died, what happened on board the ship, and so on?
You need to be able to fill in the gaps of what happened to the 60 passengers on Obra Dinn. The book is the sole thing that can help you trace your whereabouts on the ship.
You need to write down the names and then begin with small clues as and when you find them. Return of the Obra Dinn is simply one of the best Xbox one mystery games you can play. The open-end path and the puzzles that come with it are stunning.
There are some small issues with the game, but you will enjoy playing this detective game.
8. The Vanishing of Ethan Carter
The game has a lethal combination of mystery and some horror infused it. The story is about a 12-year-old boy, Ethan Carter (Download Here), who is missing in the Red Creek Valley.
As you play the game, it unfolds slowly. The narration, visuals, and plot are some of the ideal Xbox one mystery games to play.
9. Life is Strange
Life is Strange (Download Here) is a popular game on all devices. This Xbox one mystery game comes with 5 episodes. It is a unique game because you are connected with your past.
You need to join the links and find out what happened. Though there are few characters in the game, you are closely bonded with the main person.
This makes you feel connected such that you want to come out of various problems in life, including bullying, depression, and other forms of issues.
10. Batman: Arkham Asylum
Batman: Arkham Asylum (Download Here) is based on the Batman novel. We know that you would have watched movies based on Batman at least once in your life.
The movies come with a massive fans, and there are tons of community forums based on the character. Unlike in the movies, the Xbox one mystery games come with a slightly different concept.
Yes, you are dealing with a crime in your city. It is up to you to ensure that law and order are restored quickly.
Is there a murder mystery game on Xbox?
Murder Mystery Machine game is available on Xbox Series X|S and Xbox One.
What is the best mystery-solving game?
Return of the Obra Dinn, L.A. Noire, The Wolf Among Us, The Witcher 3: Wild Hunt, Her Story, Disco Elysium, Hypnospace Outlaw, Batman: Arkham Knight, etc., are some of the best.
Are there any Scooby Doo games on Xbox one?
Scooby-Doo Mystery Mayhem is available on Xbox for all Scooby-Doo lovers.
What Xbox game has the best story?
Xbox One is an excellent console with top games. The games with the best storyline include Kingdom Hearts 3, Celeste, Metal Gear Solid 5: The Phantom Pain, Valiant Hearts: The Great War, and Dragon Age: Inquisition.
What is the best free mystery game?
Some top free Android detective games are Mystery of Mirror of Death, Who is the Killer, Wombi Detective, Detective House Escape, iCOP, Detective’s Choice Volume 1, and Another Case Solved.
What is the best murder mystery game for adults?
Hunt A Killer, Talking Tables at Home Murder Mystery Night, Masters of Mystery Masquerade Ball, The Melancholy Killer, Murder Mystery Jigsaw Puzzle, The Fairytale Files Interactive Murder Mysteries, The Deadbolt Mystery Society Monthly Box, etc.
What game should I play on Xbox one?
Apex Legends, Battlefield 1, Assassin’s Creed Odyssey, Call of Duty: Warzone, Call of Duty: Modern Warfare, Doom Eternal, Control, FIFA 2022, etc.
How many Xbox games are there?
2946 games on the Xbox One list are planned or released via download or retail.
What is the biggest game on Xbox?
Forza Horizon 5 is one of the biggest Xbox games. The opening week witnessed a whopping 10 million participation.
The games mentioned above were some of the best Xbox one mystery games. It isn’t easy to choose the best of them. These Xbox one mystery games are all good and come with their mystic sense of crimes and mysteries for you to solve.
So, what are you waiting for?