Instagram is an app you can find on almost anyone’s phone. And these days even age isn’t a limit anymore. Instagram also keeps coming up with new features and changing the way the app looks to keep it fresh and the users engaging.
IGTV was one such feature, but IGTV didn’t take off to be as popular as another feature they added in – Reels.
Reels are short, about 15-30 seconds long, making them just the right amount to cater to attention spans on social media as it is known to be difficult to catch people’s attention for longer videos. People have been making reels for all sorts of content, be it for humorous videos, or ones that spread awareness and educate people.
While Instagram in itself has editing options, most people prefer a reels editing app to do their editing before posting their work online. But why get a whole different app for this?
Why Use a Reels Editing App?
While Reels is well-loved it is a relatively new addition to the app. Many users, even influencers and marketers have spoken about how glitchy it can be and how sometimes and how features like the text functionality can be a little challenging to work with. This is precisely why people prefer using a reels editing app.
There are many apps on the App Store or the Play Store that can help you with editing your reels. So, how do you choose which one is the best? Or which one works best for your needs? It can be time-consuming and also frustrating to go through different apps trying to find which one works best for you.
This article will give you a list of a few different reels editing apps, so you don’t have to go through the hassle of trying different ones out. This can be challenging, especially as some need money for premium upgrades, and it can be a waste of money if the premium doesn’t actually do what is promised.
All of the listed apps help you edit videos that can easily be shared on any platform. You can simply read through our list of the apps, and you can choose a reels editing app that can help you make great reels!
Best Instagram Reels Editing Apps: Our Pick 👌
1. InShot – Video Editor & Video Maker
InShot is a very popular app when it comes to editing reels and videos in general. It has a review of 4.8 stars out of five on both the App Store as well as the Play Store.
It has features that enable you to trim and cut videos, blur backgrounds, add music and effects, and more. This is not just a reels editing app but can be used for any platform such as YoutTube.
There is a lot you can do with InShot. You can trim and cut videos, split them into two parts or even multi-split them. The cropping and exporting will not affect the quality of your videos in any way. You can also combine, compress, and merge multiple clips into one with the same quality.
Reels are more fun with music or added audios anyway, and you can either add in a vlog or free music and even your own music or voice if you’d like that. There are volume controls as well as options to fade in and out.
Cropping in any ratio or removing watermarks or any other parts is easy; you can also rotate or flip the videos and, of course, zoom in and out as well.
Pros of InShot:-
- Usage is practically intuitive, especially if you’ve used apps to edit videos before.
- The menus are greatly accessible as many of them have repeated options which means that you can access different features at different points of editing.
- InShot is useful even without the Pro option, but if you would want to buy Pro, you’ll find that the price is pretty budget-friendly.
- You don’t need to use different apps for editing; you can get whatever you need in one app for editing.
Cons of InShot:-
- Video manipulation can be a little difficult in terms of figuring out which frame you’re on in the slider, especially if you want to delete or duplicate.
- There are many sticker options, but the categories are hard to understand, and the icons are small, which means that a search option would help.
FilmoraGo has 4.6 stars on both the App Store as well as the Play Store. This is an app that can be used by both beginners and professionals.
There are many features that are available, and one of the benefits of going Pro with a subscription or a one-time fee is that there will be no ads or watermarks.
FilmoraGo lets you cut, crop, trim and merge videos with audio as you would like it. One of the specialties of this app is the precise speed adjustment, slow the footage down up 0.1x or speed it up to 5x, giving the user finer control over the speed of the video while editing it.
The orientation, speed, and direction of the layer ca,n be adjusted from point to point with the keyframe animation tool. There is a vast music library but you can also add in your own music if you’d like including recordings of your own voice or voice-overs.
You can add in and edit texts and mass editing effects to your videos and photos. There are many effects like glitch, blur, split-screen, and filters available to make more creative videos. There are also over 200 emojis and stickers to help to make memes or gifs if you’d like.
Pros of FilmoraGo:-
- There is a wide variety of presets that are available, which makes editing easy.
- Usage is intuitive and not complicated in any manner.
- All the editing options that you need are available in one app alone.
- The advanced features are simplified for users making the experience user-friendly and easy for beginners as well.
Cons of FilmoraGo:-
- Finding certain features can be difficult because of the size and the way the icons look.
- The app at times freezes and hangs while using it, and this could result in work being lost.
3. Funimate Video Editor: Music, Transitions, Effects
This is an app that has 4.3 stars on the Play Store and 4.7 stars on the App Store. This is another popular reels editing app that that can be used to make slow-motion videos, fan edits, music clips, lip-sync videos, and so much more. What’s more, is that the technology is patent-pending, and the usage is easy and intuitive.
There are more than a hundred video effects on Funimate, giving the user many options to choose from. The videos you edit can instantly be transformed into being fun and creative with this app. Additionally, if you want to make your own effect and don’t want to choose one from the library, that too is entirely possible.
There are options to add any sort of music to the videos and crop them out and do whatever you would want to. The Funimate audio library is limited, but there are options to upload your own audio, be it something downloaded or something of your own.
No reels editing app is complete without the options to merge, cut, and trim videos. You can also edit and crop your videos however you would want to with the app.
Pros of Funimate:-
- It is an app that is entirely free, and you don’t need to pay any money for an update or a ‘pro’ version.
- Funimate has its own community where users can post their videos, and many parents have found this app safer than any other.
- Usage is simple and intuitive, and there is no need to look up tutorials to understand how the app works.
- There are very many features that can be used, making the possibilities of what can be done with Funimate practically endless.
Cons of Funimate:-
- Sometimes the options that are available on iOS aren’t available on android, and it can take time to translate.
- You cannot edit photos on Funimate, only videos.
4. PowerDirector – Video Editor, Video Maker
PowerDirector is a great reels editing app with a rating of 4.5 stars on the Play Store and 4.6 stars on the App Store. It is an app that comes with features like reverse video, slow motion, video effects, multi-track timeline editing for videos, and a lot more.
PowerDirector has a timeline editing interface that is sleek and user-friendly. Users can add and edit videos to the timeline with ease.
The video stabilizer helps with shaky images and videos to get a smoother shot. Users can crop, trim, merge, and edit HD videos and even add in audio. The tools that are offered can help take any video to a higher level of production.
The app can be used to edit backgrounds as well with the chroma key feature. You can use the blue screen, green screen, layer greenscreen effects over the footage, add more background graphics to the video, and so much more.
The trial version is useful and has as many features as it is, but the upgrader features give the user a lot of options. Upgrades to the app with the paid version are automatic, and the team at PowerDirector is constantly making sure that bugs and other issues are being fixed with the upgrades.
Pros of PowerDirector:-
- Very user-friendly, and the UI/UX is great.
- There is support for many different types of files to edit as well as to upload to platforms.
- The program has many transitions meaning that video editing comes with a lot of options.
- The app is stable and easy to use.
Cons of PowerDirector:-
- It is difficult to work with the blurring feature as it can be tricky to figure out, and the implementation is not consistent.
- The feature for insertion of title cards to the video being edited is also a little difficult to use.
5. VLLO – Video Editor & Maker
VLLO Video Editor and Maker are reels editing app that has a rating of 4.3 on the Play Store and 4.8 on the App Store. Most mobile editing apps do not offer chroma keys for green screens, but VLLO does for a better editing experience.
You can easily zoom in and out of videos, add animation effects, customize the background colors and even add a sense of immersion to a video that is still with the keyframe animation features. You can also edit videos by splitting, reversing, changing the speed, adding, or rearranging images.
There are also features to adjust shadows, saturation, contrast, brightness, and make a more refined video with color correction and different filters. Transitions from fade, swipe, and dissolve to graphics inspired by trendy pop art can be added in seamlessly.
You can use PIP to add an image, GIF, or a layer of a video and even make high-resolution 4K videos.
When it comes to music, there are more than 200 royalty-free audios that can be used with different tones, but you can also add in your own music or record a voice-over if you’d like. There are more than 450 sound effects, and features like fade in and out that can help give you a professional touch.
There are also texts and stickers in vector formats, along with more than 2,200 categories of stickers that keep getting updated regularly.
Pros of VLLO:-
- Usage is easy, user-friendly, and intuitive, giving users a hassle-free experience.
- The Premium plan for VLLO is affordable and not overly expensive.
- There are constant updates to make the app better with more features.
- The app is great for beginners and also professionals.
Cons of VLLO:-
- The app hangs and freezes at times when overloaded.
- Some of the beneficial features can be used only after purchasing the upgraded version.
6. VN Video Editor Maker VlogNow
VN Editor or Vlog Now has a rating of 4.6 stars on the Play Store and 4.6 stars on the App Store. This app is completely free with pure, powerful editing and a professional user interface that is available to the users.
This reels editing app can be used by both beginners or professionals for editing with the tools available.
One thing that makes VN unique is that it provides FX or filters that can be set by the user. The ones that want to color grade as you would with Adobe Premiere Pro, VN lets you do that. The app can be used without the watermarks as well.
Zooming in and out of the timeline and saving a draft to work on later is very simple. You can also duplicate, delta, drag, split, and merge clips with just a tap of your fingers. You have multi-layered timelines, keyframe animation, support for project sharing, curve speed, and a lot more features at your disposal.
You can add in your own audio tracks, mark the music rhythm; and the app also adjusts the duration and can support multiple soundtracks for your video.
You can easily import more fonts, adjust subtitle duration, change the size, color, and font of the subtitle. There are also options to add text overlays and title slides on the timeline.
Pros of VN Editor:-
- The app is completely free, and you don’t have to purchase an upgrade for additional features.
- There is direct support from the developers who can be contacted in case of any issues via Telegram.
- There are no watermarks when using this app.
- Controls are straightforward, and usage is intuitive.
Cons of VN Editor:-
- The options for transitions for videos are limited.
- There can be trouble with clips when exporting them to share.
7. VITA – Video Maker for Indian Creators
VITA has a 4.2-star rating on the Play Store and a 4.8-star rating on the App Store. This app is a completely free full-fledged editing app that has the PIP mode for multi-track editing and more of such pro features.
Any video can be overlaid on the base; audio levels can be separately adjusted, the overlaid video can even be rotated and resized.
With VITA, you can have HD videos with just a few taps and add trendy text effects to make your videos look more professional. You can also adjust the playback speed of your videos, and there are options for easy color grading with the various filters that are available.
You can select audios from the library that is inbuilt and make your video stand out with the various templates that are available. The templates feature is one of the important ones as there are hundreds available, so you can easily make photos and videos as you would want them.
You can also add in video transitions and make your own vlogs with ease. There are also made animated texts and fonts available with different colors, shadows, and strokes that you can use.
Pros of VITA:-
- There is no need to pay to access all the features, and the app is ad-free as well.
- There is no watermark that appears on edited videos.
- There is an in-app tutorial that can be referred to while using the app, but usage is intuitive as it is.
- VITA will give you the features that any PC software would for editing in the form of an app.
Cons of VITA:-
- VITA does not have the option to either undo or redo, so if there is something you want to change, you may need to start from scratch.
- The voice-over feature is another that is unavailable with VITA.
8. Adobe Premiere Rush
This app has a rating of 4.1 stars on the Play Store and 4.6 stars on the App Store. Adobe Premiere Rush is an all-in-one video editor that can be synced on the desktop and mobile.
The tools allow you to make videos that are of professional quality. You can use this app for free and update to the premium version for more features.
You can add titles, videos, add effects to the multitrack timelines with this editor. The built-in camera functionality lets you capture content from the app itself to start editing there.
You can arrange the photos, audio, videos and also add images, overlays, and stickers to the clips. There are options to trim, crop, merge, mirror, and flip clips as well.
Animated graphics are inbuilt, and you can change the font, size, and color to make it unique. You can also easily adjust video speed and enhance color with customization tools and presents. Zooming and panning can be done with one click.
You can easily add music to the video, like loops, sound effects, and thousands of soundtracks that are royalty-free.
Pros of Adobe Premiere Rush:-
- The process of exporting files is practically seamless.
- The interface is user-friendly and responsive.
- There is easy synchronization between the mobile and desktop.
- There are good title and color tools, and these are better than other similar apps.
Cons of Adobe Premiere Rush:-
- It is a pricey app when compared to other apps that offer the same options.
- It takes some time when it is rendering projects.
We hope that this article has helped you find a reels editing app that works best for you. These are some of the very best apps out there that you can use to make your reels better for an engaging response from your viewers.
This way, you can also gain a bigger following on your platform if the quality of your content is exceptional. After all, better reels can help you have a bigger audience for whatever it is that you’re putting out!