Do you have the curiosity to know about the Best Crossbow Bolts? You can now Find out now with this definitive list with our detailed review. Without any further delay let’s find out. 🙂
The best way to ensure you get optimum performance from your crossbow is to pick the right crossbow bolts. A good crossbow bolt should be able to give good strength, reliable accuracy and of course speed in order to make a real difference during a hunt.
To get good results, you definitely want a crossbow bolt that narrows down and focuses on the kill zone while hitting the target with great precision at all times.
However, a lot of hunters (especially beginners) get quite lost when it comes to selecting the crossbow bolts in 2019 especially since there are so many options in the market.
In this post, we will highlight ten of the best crossbow bolts for the money we know that will definitely give you the desired satisfaction during your hunt and also shed light on everything you should know before buying one.
Here is the list of Top 9 Best Crossbow Bolts in 2019
Made by the popular Bloodsport arrows, these crossbow bolts are a bit pricey but very functional.
Their arrows are 100% carbon fiber with distinct qualities that are designed to make hunting a bit easier for hunters.
Bloodsport arrows have a very slim diameter, a blood ring, and blazer vanes all specifically created to give a better hunting experience.
- sold as six arrows in a pack and are as long as 20’’
- The shaft of the bloodsport has a straightness of 0.003’’ and weighs about 325 grains.
- Its vanes which are each 4’’ longand are white and red in color.
- This product is great for hunters who are particular about sound quality and accuracy and is best used with crossbows that weigh up to 150 pounds.
- GPI is 9.0
- Made from carbon and are extremely lightweight and sturdy
- Easy to handle and use
- The brass head can easily be used to insert broadheads
- Half-moon shaped nocks which are perfect for crossbows
- The blood ring, which is the major selling point of this product is basically a ring of a specific white compound which absorbs anything it is shot through like stomach contents and blood. This gives the hunter more precision as regarding the physical state of the target.
- High speed and energy
- Very effective with most crossbows in the market
- Quite expensive
- When the bolts are not aligned with the fletching, velocity and accuracy of shots are affected
Barnett Outdoors is definitely a household name in the world of crossbow hunting and a lot of people are very comfortable with this brand.
If your target is a small game or maybe you need a little hunting practice, then this is definitely the product for you.
They do work with a larger game but would require switching the field points and replacing them with broadheads to accommodate a bigger target. However, with this bolt, your best bet would be a smaller game.
- Each pack contains 5 arrows
- Each bolt is 20inches and is sold with a carbon shaft which is very durable, moon nocks and field points (100 grain)
- Each arrow weighs 13.78grains per inch
- Weight of the tip is 100grains.
- Half-moon nocks are used
- Limited warranty of 5years
- Vanes are black and blue in color while the shaft is black
- Perfect crossbow bolt for new bow hunters
- Very durable due to its thick shaft
- High accuracy and precision
- Hard-hitting and very strong
- Lightweight as it is made of carbon
- Can be used repeatedly with consistent accuracy
- It is not the best option for expert bow hunters
- Cannot fully accommodate larger targets
- Quite Expensive
3. Wicked Ridge
For hunters who are focused on deer hunting, this crossbow bolt is definitely a top choice. It makes use of a different technique than the half-moon nock by using a six-groove nock which gives the arrow bowstring channels (3) which improve the overall indexing.
- Comes in packs of three and six
- The length of the bolt is 20inches
- Weight of the arrow is about 445grain while the tip weighs 100grain
- Uses a six-groove nock which are extremely bright
- Norway Duravanes are located beside the nock
This is the best product for hunters who want a crossbow bolt with a six groove nock as opposed to the common half-moon nock
- Has noise canceling abilities due to the presence of the Norway Duravanes
- High visibility due to the brightness of the nocks
- High indexing due to the presence of the three bowstrung channels
You may like to read best youth crossbow
Arguably one of the best products in the crossbow bolts market today, the tenpoint pro elite are made from carbon fiber for increased flexibility and strength.
This product is very fast and accurate at the same time and offers customers consistent satisfaction. It is the ideal product for starter and mid-level crossbow hunters.
- Each bolt is 20inch in length and comes with a carbon shaft with offset fletching
- Comes in a pack of six or three
- Bolts are made from carbon fiber
- Each arrow is 425grains in weight while the tip (used for practice) weighs just 100grains
- The tip can be removed and replaced with a broadhead for larger targets
- The nock used by the arrow is a bright neon yellow in color
- Six grooves and three string channels (for indexing) are attached to the nock
- Three vanes which are all three inches each in length are present
- The grooves and strings attached to the nock gives quicker indexing times
- High-level accuracy due to the presence of the vanes
- High flexibility and strength
- Very high speed and consistency
- Extremely Accurate
- None for now
If you are looking for a highly reliable crossbow bolt that still remains incredibly intact after each shot, then the parker hunter crossbow is the best option for you.
The bolts are specifically for hunting purposes as field points for practice purposes are not made available.
The accuracy of this product is superior to others in the market; hence it is the best option for hunters who are focused on accuracy.
- Each pack contains six arrows which work perfectly with crossbows weighing about 175pounds or more.
- Each arrow is about 20inches
- Weight of each arrow is 300grains or thereabout
- The weight of the shaft is 7.4grain per inch
- The arrow employs the use of a capture nock which makes the bow’s string slide into the arrow deeper than usual
- Comes with three vanes which are 3inch long and are green and orange in color
- Highly durable due to the presence of the capture nocks which make it able to withstand continuous use
- The arrows are straight flying and very fast
- There is little or no loss of penetrating power after the arrow is shot
- Very high accuracy
- Cannot be used for practice purposes
- Are expensive
One of the amazing features of the lumenok crossbow bolt is that they light up once fired and literally pave the way to the target.
This feature makes this product very appealing for hunters who like to hunt at night as they will not have a hard time locating their bolts.
The arrows use lighted nocks that are red in color; thus, enabling hunters to see the path of their arrows clearly for a more focused shot.
- Bolts are made from carbon and come in pairs of three
- The length of these arrows is 20inches
- Each arrow weighs 325grains excluding the tip
- It has triple bladed veins with two being yellow and one being white
- Comes with replaceable batteries
- Nocks can be used repeatedly due to the replaceable batteries
- High accuracy and speed
- Bolts are of high-quality and very strong
- Gives the hunter a clear view of the arrow’s path at night
- This product is very expensive
The viare crossbow bolts are specifically designed for hunters who crave a different edge to their hunting experience.
It is made from carbon and is incredibly lightweight and strong.
This product is made with an increased amount of wall thickness for increased durability and is the perfect product for deer hunting.
- Each arrow is 20inches long
- Each pack contains 12 arrows
- It comes with field points which can be used for practice
- Each arrow broadhead weighs 125grains
- Hunters can replace the field points with broadhead arrows for deer hunting
- Three vanes which are 4inch long each are attached to the nock and are orange and red in color
- The arrows use moon nocks
- High durability
- Maximum penetration and high accuracy
- It can be used for both practice and real hunting purposes.
- The tips can easily be removed for broadhead attachment
- This product is very affordable
- None for now
The carbon Express crossbow bolt is a personal favorite to a lot of hunters.
It offers incredible accuracy and consistency even though it weighs about 440grains.
The carbon shaft produces enough kinetic energy to drop a target immediately with a lot of force.
It is the crossbow bolt for large targets as it punches through them with high power.
This product is the top choice for intermediate to expert level crossbow hunters who crave for ultimate penetration in their targets.
- Each bolt weighs about 440grains
- Arrows are 20inch in length
- Each arrow is made firm carbon fiber for extra strength and flexibility
- Contains six halfmoon nocks and universal flat nocks each
- For added accuracy, each arrow has 3inch vanes.
- Elite construction of the product answers for the great spine consistency
- high speed and accuracy
- hunters are sure of high power target penetration with this product due to its large weight.
- arrows travel at a very high speed
- this product is highly compatible with various brands of crossbows
- this product is expensive
- a major downside is the fact that it doesn’t come with field points for practice.
- Some arrows are said to be bent; thus, affecting accuracy
This product comes in smaller packages when compared to other kinds of crossbow bolts. Contrary to the common opinion hunters have of this product, you are definitely not sacrificing reliability and quality by getting this product as it offers lightning speed with superb accuracy.
- Each bolt is 18inches long
- There is a higher weight on the carbon shaft of this product
- Comes with 2inch fletching
- Flat back inserts are present so there is no need for nocks
- Incredible speed and high accuracy
- Very reliable
- Quiet when in use and perfect for night hunting
- Can be used for big targets at intermediate distances with high levels of success
- None for now
This is a high-performance product with a double spine to optimize your line of shot for a better chance of hitting your target.
Carbon Express is a reputable brand and is known for making very high-quality but affordable products.
The maxima red crossbow bolt is relatively cheaper in comparison to other kinds of bolts but it still gets the job done perfectly.
- Comes in six packs and in two different sizes
- Fully made of carbon fiber
- Can be 20 or 22inches long
- Has moon knives inserted
- Six flat socks (universal)
- Blazer vanes included
- due to its stiffness and overall construction, this product is quite accurate
- very affordable and dependable
- very reliable and consistent
- None for now
As seen in the descriptions above, the market is saturated with amazing options of crossbow bolts with different specifications and functionalities.
However, before making a decision on which product to buy, there are few factors that must be considered to ensure you make a well-informed purchase.
Factors to consider before buying an arrow/bolt for your crossbow
Most arrows are made of three main materials which are; aluminum, carbon fiber and fiberglass. Each of these materials has their different pros and cons as explained below.
- They are relatively cheap and more or less the cheapest bolts in the market
- Hard on impact
- Not susceptible to separation from its components on launch
- Easily bent and becomes useless at this stage
- Hard to cut
- Relatively heavy which could be a problem
- Bends naturally and is a good shock absorber
- Not as expensive as other options
- Won’t bent like aluminum
- Prone to cause skin irritation via loose hairs
- Can explode when bent too far or damaged
- During production process, some glues find it hard to bond with this material
- It is the straightest bolt-making material in the market and makes the highest quality products
- It is very durable when maintained properly
- Quite expensive when compared to the other materials
- Can be dangerous when a damaged arrow is in use
This is basically the measure of the toughness an arrow possesses when the crossbow string pushes against the nock.
It is important that the right arrow and spine is used to get optimum results. If you use the wrong ones, the bow will be very inaccurate and you won’t be able to make any good shots. Also, if you are using a carbon or fiber glass arrow, it could lead to an explosion.
Straightness of the arrow
It is known that a very straight arrow will be more consistent in the air. This factor is very important for accuracy and since you will be making more than one shot, it is crucial that you take the straightness of the whole bunch of arrows into due consideration.
You can decipher this easily by looking at the product carefully to know what the arrow tolerances are. For tolerances, the smaller the better; a product with an arrow tolerance of +/-0.006 might be affordable and you will be sure of good performance.
In an ideal situation, the tolerance for a group of arrows in a set would be +/-0.001. however, regardless of how straight your arrow is, if its spine is off, so will your accuracy be.
Total bolt weight
The weight of the arrow is very important. Too light an arrow will cause bad penetration and when the arrow is too heavy, it will make your range highly limited. You might be wondering how you can know the weight of your arrow. Here’s how to in three simple steps;
- Select a broadhead
- Add the total weight of the insert, vanes and nock
- Multiply the total grains per inch with the length of the arrow.
A lot of factors go into determining what the weight of a bow should be and it is advised that you read up the specifications from the manufacturer to be sure it has the desired weight.
Crossbow bolts usually come in three major weights; lightweight (ranging from 350-400 grains), standard (ranging from 400-435 grains) and Heavy (rang from 435 grains and above).
Lightweight bolts: they boost speed and also cause an increased level of stress, vibration and noise. This increases the risk of damage to the crossbow. They are also prone to being deflected by strong wind or rain and are best used in open areas.
Standard bolts: these arrows work in almost every hunting situation as they offer a great balance of kinetic energy and speed. The higher weight means that there is a transfer of more energy from the bow to the crossbow. Bolts with this weight give an increased chance of accuracy, in precision and penetration power and also reduce the amount of vibration or noise.
Heavyweight bolts: heavyweight bolts produce a larger amount of kinetic energy than other weights and maintain this energy for a longer period of time. This leads to a higher chance of target penetration and stability whilst flight. When hunting in bad weather or very dense locations, this bolt is the best choice for great results.
The average crossbow is only about 20’’; so, a bolt is usually about 16’’ to 20’’ long. To ensure that you get the right bolt, check with your crossbow’s manufacturer to know the exact length you need to get. This is because a bolt that is too short can cause problems with the rail once it is released.
This is an important factor for finding Best Crossbow Bolts when it comes to penetration. Bolts with smaller diameter will reduce the wind drag when released and thus; offer higher durability with an increase in the penetration power of the crossbow.
The function of the nocks is to keep the bolt in its place when you prepare to take your shot. It is attached behind the shaft and can be made from plastic of just aluminum. Most crossbows use flat or half-moon nocks. For half-moon nocks, hunters would have to make sure the string is well-aligned with the nocks before firing. There are other kinds of nocks such as the illuminated nocks, capture nocks, and groove nocks.
These are fins located at the back of the bolt, very close to where the nock is located. Most bolts have three plastic fletchings of different lengths. Longer fletchings go well with longer shafts and are crucial for stability of the crossbow.
Crossbow heads can either be broadheads or field points. Field points are used for practice while broadheads are used for actual hunting. However, field points are usually not recommended as they end up wounding the animal and leaving it in agony instead of creating a direct kill shot. Like field points, broadheads are attached to the tip of the arrow to create a kill shot with its very sharp edges. Field points and broadheads are usually the same weight ranging from 125grains to 150 grains.
It is no news that if you want a prime, high-quality arrow, you will have to loosen your grip on your wallet.
To save costs, you can find a medium-quality arrow with 12 bolts or more that you can actually afford.
This way, you can select 6 of the best bolts for hunting and keep the rest. Also, you should take time to carry out a little research before buying arrows to ensure you buy the one with the highest quality that fits in your budget. Make use of the arrow you’ve purchased and go on your best hunt.
More on choosing the perfect bolt for your crossbow
Choosing the right bolt for your crossbow us not as difficult as many people think it is. One thing to always bear in mind is the fact that your crossbow and your bow must be compatible to achieve the best results.
This is a very crucial part of any hunting experience because if you make use of an arrow that is incompatible with your crossbow, it can cause serious, sometimes irreparable damage to your bow.
So, it is advised that you select an arrow or bolt that is in line with the specifications of the manufacturer.
How fast is a crossbow bolt?
There is an on-going argument where some people think a crossbow bolt might be faster than that of complex bows.
When compared to the traditional bows, crossbows decrease in speed when fired through a large distance and this makes them the less ideal option during competitions.
However, when to comes to speed and plain, raw strength, the crossbow is definitely the top pick. One of the major advantages of a crossbow bolt is the fact that the target feels its impact immediately it hits it.
This is awesome for hunts where killing on first shot is the aim as you definitely don’t want a lot of holes in the game if you want to skin it.
The quality of a crossbow bolt makes all the difference when it comes to a hunt. When you use bolts that are well balanced between reliability, speed, accuracy and strength, your chances of getting a small or large (depending on your aim) game are a lot higher.
If you are a beginner level hunter, we suggest that you start with a really simple model of a crossbow bolt and work your way up. Aluminum bolts for instance is an awesome choice for practice purposes and you can begin with them before graduating to coal or carbon crossbow bolts.
What matters is that you are well conversant with the workings of different kinds of crossbow bolts to avoid accidents and to give you great results.
In this article, we have successfully highlighted ten top options of our favorite crossbow bolts to narrow down your search for you and also gave you few helpful tips to guide you to make a great purchase.
The key is to carry out a little research and find the product that offers all the specifics you need and is friendly with your pocket. This way, you get all round satisfaction from a great buy without having to break the bank.