For hunting enthusiasts, fun shooters, and an archer, the idea of having a crossbow is a fantastic solution of making hunting or shooting an arrow fun.
If you are a hunter and have kids that love hunting like you, a youth crossbow is the best way to introduce hunting and archery to them.
However, to get you started on the best youth crossbow for Hunting in 2019, we have hunted down the best just for you, and we will try to give an honest overview and review of each selected products available on the market just to simplify your choice when you consider getting one in future.
Although arrows have been used since the beginning of time, it was not until the better part of this century was it formally introduced in the world of competitive sports.
With so many people having precision shots and taking the love for shooting arrows to a different level, archery is the number one sports that make the crossbow legal and fun.
To get you started our first choice is from a well-known brand that makes the crossbow look and feel sleek and smooth with every shot.
Here is the List of The Best Youth Crossbow in 2019
With over 50 years in the arrow and bow making industry, Barnett knows a thing or two about crossbows.
The Barnett Jackal is a powerfully built hunting youth crossbow with great stability and control for the user.
As a hunter’s crossbow, the Barnett has a sleek, military-style design that gives you power as you draw and release for a kill.
Furthermore, the lightweight build material allows you to evenly distribute the weight across the crossbow and your shoulders for a precise shot every time.
- It weighs in at 7.7 pounds
- The product dimension is 35.5 by 26.5 inches
- Recommended arrow length 20 inches
- The speed is 315 feet per second
- Produces a 95 pounds kinetic energy at every draw enough to take down any game while hunting
- It has a draw weight of 150 pounds
- A power stroke of 12 inches
- It comes with an eye scope and 3 arrows in the quiver
- Beautiful camouflage design
- comes with a safety measure that keeps the arrows from been mistakenly fired
- Very easy to assemble the parts together even for a newbie
- Powerfully built with durable parts
- Good quality and ergonomic design
- The best beginner crossbow for youth with a flair for hunting
- Come with a 5-year warranty
- The eye scope can see a distance of 20 yards
- It is not a silent weapon
Although not the quietest crossbow, the Barnett certainly lives up to its name in accuracy, precision, and powerful crossbows with stability to give the user the ability to focus and fire without any misses.
A well-constructed crossbow for kids that can be used by adults too, the Barnett Jackal is the best youth crossbow for kids that won’t break the bank.
Another beautiful product from Barnett, proofing that good crossbow comes from the masters.
The Barnett recruit is another excellent alternative to the Jackal and a great crossbow for youngsters with smaller frames, especially very young kids and females.
Although it still maintains the high quality and grade known by Barnett, the crossbow is developed with a trigger tech technology that only fires when the arrow is loaded preventing mistakes.
A great crossbow for kids and young adults, the Barnett recruit will certainly have your child becoming a professional archer or hunter in no time.
- Weighs in at 6.4 pounds
- It has a dimension of 34.25 by 18.25 inches
- 20 inches arrow length recommended
- Shot speed range is 330 feet per second
- Produces 91.9 feet/pound kinetic energy with every release
- Draw length of 140 pounds
- Comes with a 4 by 32 scope with premium red dots
- Composite shock and limbs
- The Best Youth Crossbow for hunting large games like a deer, boar, and even a buffalo with the right aim
- Good pistol grip
- Adjustable Buttstock
- The anti-dry safe mechanism for extra safety during shots
- 3-year warranty, very lightweight and stainless steel body for easy cleaning
- Best beginner crossbow for kids that want to be archers or hunter
- Affordable and easy to assemble and use
- The drawstring weakens over time
Even though the Barnett recruit youth crossbow is lightweight and easy to handle both in shooting and assembling, its recurve nature can make the bow tad heavy for some kids.
However, if the budget, accuracy, ease of use, and safety top your list for buying a crossbow, Barnett Recruit is a guarantee for great value for money.
If you are looking for the ultimate light crossbow that will deliver both on performance and ease of use during hunting and sports for adults and kids, then don’t walk past the Arrow precision inferno fury crossbow Best Youth Crossbow for Hunting in 2019.
This ready-to-go package makes even the most amateurs of shooters look like a pro within minutes of handling, and it’s the best alternative crossbow for hunters looking for a lighter option than carrying heavy bows when hunting.
- At lightweight crossbow at just 5 pounds
- The kinetic energy produced is 49 foot per pound with 400 grain bolt at 175 pounds
- Recommended arrow length is 16 inches
- 5 by 25.5 inches dimension with 10.5 inches power stock
- Arrow speed at 235 foot per second
- Basic red dot sight
- Draw weight is 175 pounds
- The aluminum and fiberglass built material gives this crossbow its lightweight and easy to use features
- Has a padded shoulder sling and rope cocker with free string in the pack
- Great recurve for shooting in tight spaces
- Extra safety measures such as the anti-dry fire triggers and thumb guard
- The ambidextrous stock makes it a great weapon for both right and left-handed individual
- Very attractive camouflage pattern exude strength and durability
- Can be heavy during cocking
- Not a premium sight
A few disadvantages, but the inferno lives up to its name in delivering excellence and on-target shots every time. Asides from that; it’s safe, lightweight, affordable, easy to use, ambidexterity, and construction puts this crossbow on our list to buy when out shopping.
After some upgrades, the Parker Bushwacker is back with a bang, and with a redesigned front-end for more portable design, more precise and accurate aim, advanced Micro-Lite limb technology and ergonomic stock create a cooler feel when you handle this crossbow.
Parker Bushwacker says it’s the safest bow on the market with its contoured and vented forearm grip with auto engage feature and comfortable handling adds to the safety of this weapon.
- Has a draw weight of 160 pounds
- Come with a G2 trigger system great for both right and left-hand individuals
- Comes with 3x illuminated multi-reticle scope for premium vision
- Made in the USA with a lifetime warranty on the crossbow
- Arrow speed reaches 300 foot per second upon release
- Weighs in at 7 pounds with measurements at 37 by 23.25 inches
- Comes with four arrows in the quiver
- Excellent construction with an advanced safety feature
- For youth, the speed and maneuverability are just right for them
- A portable and accurate crossbow
- Beautiful design that kids love
- It is expensive
- No rope cocking included
- Some complaint about the weight
The Packer Bushwacker combines style, design, and speed to deliver the best safe and precise crossbow on the market for small and medium frame people.
A great crossbow for a beginner or intermediary, the Bushwacker covers all grounds to give you the best.
5. Wicked Ridge
It was a man’s sport, but not anymore. With more ladies embracing the outdoors and taking interest in hunting, archery or fun shooting, Wicked Ridge has the best crossbow for the ladies.
The crossbow is very pretty, elegant and gorgeously built crossbow for the lady that loves to hunt with ease of use and in colors that they will appreciate.
The Lady Ranger has a lightweight construction to take the weight off you and allow you to focus on your shooting range.
- Weighs in at 6 pounds with self-retracting cocking system
- Arrow speed is at 300 foot per seconds
- Draw weight is 150 pounds
- Kinetic energy on release is 70 feet per pound
- Power stroke of 10.8 inches
- Dimensions are 35.5 by 11.5 by 6.2 inches
- Comes with 18 inches carbon arrows and 100-grain practice point in the pack
- A 3x multi-line scope
- Very feminine design with ACU-52 cocking mechanism for any lady body frame
- A great crossbow for deer hunting
- Easy to assemble and excellent shoot range and accuracy
- Great crossbow for newbie whether boys or girls
- The self-retracting mechanism reduces the draw weight by 50 percent for a more accurate shot
- No rope cocking included
The Wicked Ridge Lady Ranger Crossbow certainly plays well into our hearts with its warm and attractive color and design.
Furthermore, it has won the hearts of many young people across the country due to its simple and easy to maneuverability for a great and fun experience hunting, fun shooting or archery.
When technology, power, and good budget come together, the SA sport Fever crossbow is brought to life some might dispute that the crossbow contains too much power to for young kids but the SA is with the best safety and easy to use amenities and the perfect weapon for hunting any games size or practicing for archery competition.
- It has a draw weight of 175 pounds
- Come with an arrow speed of 235 feet per second after release
- 4 by 32 scope for precision shots
- Produces a 51 feet per pounds kinetic energy after release
- Weighs in at almost 5 pound
- Recommenced arrow length is 20 inches carbon bolts
- Adjustable scope mounts with aluminum and fiberglass material used in constructing the crossbow to give it the lightweight
- The dimension is 33 by 11 by 4
- Powerful, safe, comfortable, durable, sturdy, and high-performance rifle
- Rope cocking included in the pack
- 1500 yard accuracy range shot
- Very affordable and durable crossbow
- The scope comes with fog protection for shooting in cold and foggy conditions
- Not good for shooting in the low light conditions
If you have an excited kid that loves the effect of shooting a crossbow, you need the SA sports crossbow to enhance and bring all those passion to life. It is safe, reliable and easy to fire with an anti-fire feature for extra safety.
Asides from the very cute name, the Daisy has everything that a youth crossbow should have for any kids whether as a hunting rifle or in competition, the daisy weight and ease of use allow the kids to carry it without any assistance.
- Draw length of 29 pounds
- Crossbow length is 38.38 inches
- Super lightweight fiberglass material
- Comes with 2-16 inches arrow
- Weighs in at 5 pounds
- The perfect crossbow to train kids interested in arrows and shooting
- Easy to cock and shoot without any assistance
- Rounded tip bolts to prevent injuries while on the hunt for a target
- Easy to pull the drawstring
- Adjustable rear sight for elevation and windage
- Built for shooter of both hands
- Not a very accurate crossbow for hunting large game
The daisy is a great youth crossbow for beginners due to it’s extremely fiberglass weight that makes this crossbow the best rifle for small range hunting and a powerful precision weapon for competition or fun shooting.
With so many accolades given to this crossbow, the TenPoint turbo GT is not an ordinary crossbow but one for a very powerful and precise shooting, hunting and competition.
Although a strong weapon for a kid, it is the best for one with the basic about crossbows and wants to polish their skills and be better hunters and archers.
- A maximum speed of 360 feet per seconds
- A kinetic energy of 107 feet per pounds on the release of the arrow
- A power stroke of 12.6 inches
- Draw weight of 175 pounds
- Self-retracting rope cocking system keeps the draw weight at the barest minimum for accurate shooting
- Adjustable fusion S stock with a 13.5 inches XLT for superior performance
- A 3x pro-view 2 scopes with three 20 inches elite carbon arrows for top-notch shots
- Excellent crossbow for fun shooting and hunting
- Lightweight and durable
- High-performance crossbow for both kids and adult
- Fast and accurate with ambidextrous use
- It is pricey
- The vibration and noise is not pleasing
A powerful youth crossbow to fulfill all your hunting and shooting dreams and even more so a great weapon for kids.
At the price it is going for on the market, Bear X is a powerful crossbow with really impressive features and some really pin-point accuracy and speed.
If you are on a budget, this is your best bet at a good crossbow for the best days hunting, archery or fun shooting.
- Speed velocity of 335 feet per second
- A draw weight of 125 pounds
- Produces an energy of 99.3 feet per pound kinetic energy
- Dimensions are 34 by 8 by 24 inches and weigh just under 7 pounds
- Compact and lightweight design
- Easy drawback with accurate on-target shots
- Comes with three 20 inches bolt with 100 grains point
- Excellent for hunting and fun shooting
- The package comes with the basic necessities to start your hunting trip
- The design and construction is very good
- The engineer needs upgrading
For a precision shooting and great hunting crossbow, the Bear X is worth the buy and makes an excellent starter crossbow for kids or young adults.
Buying Guide – For Youth Crossbows in 2019
The Size and Weight
Since youths are the ones carrying the crossbow, you might want to factor in the size of the crossbow. The bigger the crossbow, the heavier it is.
So for easy and comfortable handling, the ideal weight should remain between 5 to 10 pounds at most and should come with an adjustable buttstock.
This is the first factor to consider when purchasing a youth crossbow for your kid. In fact, it should be a requirement for anyone trying to get any kind of weapon.
The crossbow depends on a springy mechanical firing system, and kids should be educated about proper handling to avoid letting go and injuring themselves or others.
Furthermore, a trigger system of a good crossbow should be made of a sturdy and strong material that only goes when touched or initiated.
Children are indecisive and so unless they are hook, line, and snicker into crossbow activities, it is wise to purchase one that is great but won’t break the bank. We don’t want to buy an expensive crossbow and have the kid change his/her mind after a couple of shots.
Functionality and Range
Crossbows are easy to use and the purpose should determine the type that suits you best. If it’s for hunting, a strong, powerful with good range should matter. However, if it for sports, then a lightweight, but durable crossbow with a good range of at least 30 yards is better.
How to pick out the perfect fit
When you are picking a crossbow, you have to also ensure that it fits right just for you. Three specifications for the fit are:
This is the distance that the shooter needs to pull back the string that propels the arrow through the air to the target. A normal way to calculate the draw length is to divide the length of your arm by 2.5 and the result in inches.
The Brace Height
The measure between the string and the riser is the brace height. The shorter the distance, the faster the bow will travel, but need proper handling and maneuvering as it makes the crossbow harder to shoot.
This is the measure of force that the archer puts into the string to produce a penetrating effect after the arrow is released. The higher the draw weight, the deeper the penetration affects, and vice versa
The Type of crossbow
Another factor to consider when purchasing a crossbow is the type; the choices are between a compound crossbow and a recurve crossbow.
Compound crossbows contain several cable and pulley system for the draw weight for excellent speed and accuracy. Furthermore, they are easier to carry and lightweight for a youngster learning how to shoot a crossbow.
The recurve crossbows are different from the compound crossbow; they have less cable and pulleys but a more ergonomic design for easy use and handling but with less speed and more weight.
Frequently Asked Questions
Question: What size of arrows should I get for my crossbow?
Answer: Most arrows are between 16 to 22 inches long and the recommended length for a youth crossbar. Always buy the length recommended by the manufacturer on the type of crossbow you possess.
Question: can I get a good crossbow for 200 dollars?
Answer: Yes, there are very good crossbows on the market that won’t break the bank and serve the same purpose as the expensive brands on the market.
Question: What does a youth learn from a crossbow?
Answer: A crossbow is the best way to educate a child how to cock and draw their bow especially if they are interested in hunting or intend to pursue a career in competitive archery. Either way, their lightweight allows for easy carrying and effective learning.
Question: Do I need a license to carry or shoot a crossbow?
Answer: Crossbows, arrows, and bows are considered offensive weapons by law and for a license are needed for kids 16 or under. However, for juniors in archery or hunting, it is legal to carry one when there is a competition or during hunting season.
Question: Can an adult license cover the use of a crossbow by a junior?
Answer: if the adult or guardian is above 18 and has a valid license; yes, they can use the crossbow with adult supervision when shooting and never alone.
Question: What is a crossbow?
Answer: well a crossbow is a combination between a regular bow and a firearm. And so even though it’s not legally a firearm, it can be used as one.
Question: How far can a crossbow go?
Answer: Crossbows are very powerful weapons and can travel a distance up to 500 yards if target practice is not your thing. However, a youth crossbow can reach a range of 60 yards and 35 yards for beginners.
Question: Can a felon carry a crossbow?
Answer: Felons can carry a crossbow since their firing mechanism does don’t involve expanding gases when fired as in a gun and hence not limited by law.
Question: Can I shoot a crossbow in my backyard?
Answer: You can shoot a crossbow anywhere if it is spacious. You don’t want to shoot an arrow into your neighbor’s window and risk getting sued by the law for endangering life and creating a public nuisance.
Question: How deadly is a crossbow?
Answer: Yes, crossbows are dangerous and definitely not a toy to be played with as they can cause serious deep injuries tearing through flesh and breaking bones depending on the shooting distance.
A crossbow is a beautiful and powerful weapon that requires the supervision of an adult when a child is using one. It also needs a license depending on your location and the type of crossbow been used.
The crossbows listed here are some of the best on the market with great features that any kids with a passion for hunting or shooting an arrow will love. Although, there are no special protective gears when using a crossbow; it is important to go through the safety measures stated in the manual to avoid any injuries.
Crossbows are not toys and hence they should be kept away from the child after each practice session and stored properly. Furthermore, you should seek help from the shop attendant to know more about each crossbow and if they suit the age and gender of the kids you are buying it for.