Do you have the curiosity to know about the Best ABC Watch to buy in 2019? You can easily Find out now in this definitive list with our detailed review.
Without any further delay let’s find out.
Getting an ABC watch is a great step to taking your outdoor experiences to a whole other level whether you are a hiker, mountain climber or marathon runner.
Considering the function and the price of these watches, it is obvious that ABC watches are not just something you wear when you want to take a short walk outside, it is more important than that. Therefore, before we head on to talk about the best ABC watches you can get, it is great to know what exactly they are.
ABC stands for Altimeter, Barometer, and Compass all together. Therefore, an ABC watch needs to have these three things to be able to read altitude, air pressure, and orientation. The ability to take these readings is what sets an ABC watch apart from others and without any one of these single functions, it will seize to be an ABC watch.
There are ABC watches with a few extra features that could set them apart as a ready choice above the others. Features like weather resistance and GPS are few of the things that manufacturers use to make different ABC watch edition a worthy buy.
Knowing the best ABC watch to buy depends on different consideration that only you the buyer eventually determines, however, a good buying guide is included in this article to make the decision easier.
Before you head on to spend your money on a great ABC watch, you should read through the buyer’s guide to know which of them is best suited for you. This list includes the more popular brands that have had notable experience dealing with related technology; Casio, Suunto, and Garmin who are recently have shown great promise in outdoor gadget design, so much so that they have a few pieces in this list of 10 best ABC watches.
Here is The List Of Best ABC Watch To Buy in 2019
1. Garmin Fenix 3
The Garmin Fenix 3 watch is nothing short of impressive and handy when it comes to assisting during outdoor activities. While being tailored for the outdoors, it is obvious that the watch was built for athletes because of its features.
The bulky and rather noticeable piece has the tech to keep track of things like speed (for both races and swimming), calories burned, distance traveled GPS feeds and other smart tech features included.
The Fenix 3 is a top choice for many users because of its smart features and social media integration that makes it really handy even for pro athletes to keep track of important data. More information about the Garmin Fenix 3 is included below.
- It costs $320
- The fiber- reinforced polymer material of the watch serves as a waterproof casing even up to 100m in-water depth.
- The battery runtime lasts up to 20 hours with full function mode (including GPS) and for maximum run time, it lasts up to 6 weeks in ordinary watch mode
- It uses a WiFi connection.
- Inbuilt GPS
- Basic ABS functions
- It weighs 10 ounces
- The Garmin Fenix 3 has inbuilt Bluetooth adapter
- The light weight makes it a convenient carry around for any kind of outdoor activity.
- Durable material build that is also waterproof.
- It functions with rugged outdoor sports usage including climbing and military drills.
- The ability to keep track of extra features as speed covered, a heart rate monitor, etc. is an added advantage for pro-health purposes.
- The size of the watch gets in the way when you need to use your hands for tasks like typing
- The screen is a little dull in low light conditions or at night
Notes:- The Garmin Fenix 3 is a great watch and one of the top three in the market. It comes as a close competition for the Garmin Fenix 5 which has better mapping feature and the Suunto Ambit 3 which comes as a close alternative. If the Garmin Fernix 5 comes as a little too much at price, then the Fernix 3 is a great choice.
2. Garmin Fenix 5
It appears Garmin heard customers complain about the size of the Fenix 3 and the clarity of the screen because they definitely stepped it up with the Garmin Fenix 5.
This Garmin Fenix 5 watch is highly impressive, even more so than the Fenix 3; with an improved screen resolution to allow visibility even in dark situations and a slimmer version.
There is no guarantee that you can comfortably take the Felix to be used as your everyday watch, it depends on what your activities are like, but as an outdoor watch with supportive tech, the Garmin Fenix 5 ticks al the right boxes. Below are more details on what to expect from the Garmin Fenix 5, other than the obvious ABC features.
- ABC watch features
- Inbuilt GPS function with TOPO mapping
- Waterproof function with a rating to survive a 50m dive.
- The inbuilt heart rate sensor
- An analog button operation mode
- Inbuilt WiFi and Bluetooth adapter
- Screen resolution is 240p x 240p
- With the GPS running on full capacity, the battery run-time lasts up to 50 hours and can stay a maximum of 5 weeks on basic watch mode.
Below is the summary of the main Pros and Cons of The Garmin Fenix 5.
- The screen is clearer at night than the Fenix 3 because of the increased screen resolution
- It works with many of the current fitness apps
- The ability to keep track of health and performance just like the Fernix 3 makes it a perfect ABC watch for pro-health athletes.
- The waterproof function increases its suitability for outdoor weather as well as water sports.
- The watch is a perfect smartwatch for athletes with just the right functions.
- It is a smaller size.
- It is an expensive gadget because of the high-end function
Notes:- If you are going to be buying the Garmin Fernix 5, it means only that you mean business. Whether you are a mountain climber, an athlete or training for a marathon, the Fernix 5 is worth every dollar that is charged for it and is durable enough to serve an outdoorsy person.
3. SUUNTO Core Outdoor Sports Watch
The Suunto Core ABC watch is the perfect outdoor tech savvy wristwatch to take with you when you know you are going to face different weather conditions. Not just is the Suunto core built to face any weather, it gives a close to an accurate reading of the air parameters around you.
It gives an air pressure reading that has commendable accuracy along with an altitude reading with an accuracy to the nearest 3 feet which is commendable compared to other ABC watches with 10 to 20 feet approximate accuracy.
The Suunto Core is the perfect gadget for both athletes and outdoor explorers, from the waterproof feature for snorkeling to accurate air pressure and altitude reading for mountain climbers, you got yourself a climb. However, there is a little dampener to the excitement, it has no inbuilt GPS. Don’t let that stop you though, read on for more information about the details of Suunto Core.
- No inbuilt GPS
- The watch is waterproof for up to 100ft underwater dive.
- The altimeter tells the altitude with actual distance traveled and length rather than pressure.
- The elevation measured is accurate to the nearest 3ft traveled
- It has a storm alarm that goes off with a sudden climate change
- It has a maximum battery life of up to a year when functioning as an ordinary watch
Below is the summary of the main Pros and Cons of The SUUNTO Core Outdoor Sports Watch.
- High accuracy in the altimeter elevation reading.
- Basic ABC functions are carried out with high precision compared to industry standard.
- It has a commendable battery life when working as just an ordinary watch
- It is a perfect tech-savvy outdoor companion to keep track of your environmental conditions.
- Altitude memory storage can track for up to a week’s trip
- It is reliable in different temperature conditions
- It is easy to read the ratings on the watch screen.
- The lack of GPS feature can be a major turn off for users
- In poor lighting conditions, the dimness of the screen becomes obvious making it difficult to read.
Notes:- The Sumto Core is built as a rugged tech-savvy watch for outdoor lovers, to give much-needed readings on things like temperature, pressure, altitude, etc. to keep you safe in all your escapades. As long as you can look past the lack of GPS or if you have a GPS to take along, it is a worthy buy.
4. SUUNTO Ambit3 Peak HR Running GPS Unit
If you were put off by the lack of GPS on the Suunto core, that is not a reason to give up on the brand altogether because the SuuntoAmbit 3 comes in with GPS and with an external heart rate monitor.
At an attractive price, the Ambit 3 is great training ABC watch. If you are an athlete; swimmer or runner and you want to boost your training sessions with a smartwatch that helps you keep track of your activity, then you got a good match.
The watch can be easily synced with the Movescount app to keep track of all your data which can be downloaded easily. However, have complained about the lack of ANT+ compatibility which is instead replaced with Bluetooth for connectivity.
The Ambit 3 comes with the accuracy of the Suunto altitude, pressure and compass readings which makes it a commendable ABC watch even if you aren’t looking at all the extra features. Couple with the added GPS, you won’t get lost the next time you go on a run/hike. More information about the SuuntoAmbit 3 is listed below.
- Available Inbuilt GPS
- It has the basic ABS function
- The multi-sport feature on the watch to change sports during training
- Heart rate monitor included on the strap.
- It weighs 2.83 ounces
- It has three variations; Ambit 3 run, Ambit 3 sport and Ambit 3 peak with varying specs
- Easy operation and setup of the watch
- The battery run time lasts up to 15 hours with the GPS tracking on and then 2 weeks on normal watch function
Below is the summary of the main Pros and Cons of The SUUNTO Ambit3 Peak HR Running GPS Unit.
- The multi-sport function makes it a good choice for triathletes in training.
- The large screen of the watch works to an advantage as you can easily and quickly read what is displayed on it.
- It can track heart rate even when swimming with the wrist strap which is a great pro-health addition.
- Commendable accuracy in barometer, altimeter and compass readings of the watch.
- The battery life is decent and above average
- The bulky size of the watch makes it hard to double as a casual watch when you aren’t training.
- It doesn’t keep track of steps count.
- The GPS is not as accurate underwater as it is above.
Notes:- For price and functionality, SuuntoAmbit 3 is a great buy. Of all three variations, the peak has the highest specs in battery life and functions, however, if you are trying to save up some money you can go for the Ambit 3 sport which is a good balance between the three or the Ambit 3 Run.
5. Casio Pathfinder PAG240
Before you get scared off by the bulky manual included in the packaging of the Casio Pathfinder PAG240-1CR, you should do well to know that this ABC watch is great when it comes to data.
The reason you buy an ABC watch in the first place is for the data, right? The contour mapping of the Casio PAG240-1CR, the navigation data is great and you don’t have to worry about your battery running out on you during the day.
With an inbuilt solar charging option, it becomes even more encouraging to set out while the sun is still out. Especially if you might have some complaint about the battery life of some ABC watches you may have used in the past. Below is more information about the Casio Pathfinder PAG240 – 1CR.
- It tells the time for 31 different time zones
- A solar-powered battery that can run for 6 months without needing a recharge.
- It has a water resistant stainless steel material case that can withstand a 330ft dive underwater
- Works well with low temperature
- EL backlit screen
- Digital display.
- It has 5 different alarms
- Buckle clasp design
Below is the summary of the main Pros and Cons of The Casio Pathfinder PAG240.
- It is a military watch
- The chunky and masculine build gives it an edge in aesthetics for those into masculine watches
- The watch is highly durable making it one of the best military watches
- The solar charged batteries come as a huge addition for athletes and military people alike.
- Commendable battery life of up to 6 months even without any form of recharging.
- ABC readings help with navigation for outdoor activities especially since they are sophisticated
- Inbuilt data for world time across different time zones come in very handy.
- It is bulky and cannot double as a casual watch to sling on the wrist
- The volume of the alarm is rather low and you may have to keep it close to you to wake you up
Notes:- The Casio Pathfinder PAG240-1CR is great, it is rigid, it is functional and it is handsome. It does its job as an ABC very well, however, if you are out for fancy extra smart watch sync, you may not enjoy this one.
6. Casio Pro Trek Black Sport PRW-6000Y-1ACR
If at any point of all these you have been worried about how your watch will hold up in a fall or under applied force or pressure, you should hold a seat for this as the Casio Pro Trek black sports watch is in all definitions a tough watch.
It can be used as a military watch as the watch was built to withstand a 10-meter free fall without breaking with the help pf a G-shock feature. Although the G-shock is incredible to say the least, we haven’t forgotten you are in search of an ABC watch.
Just like the Casio Pathfinder PG240-1CR, the Casio Pro Trek Black Sport is also solar powered and gives sophisticated ABC readings. More information of the watch is listed below.
- It costs $600
- G-shock technology used in the design.
- It tells world time of different time zones with 12hr and 24hr format
- It has 5 different alarm systems
- It has a water resistance build that can withstand to 100m dive underwater
- Its functions are low-temperature resistance
- Analog and Digital display for different readings
- The runtime of the solar powered battery can last up to 6 months without being charged
- It comes with a 1-year warranty from Casio
Below is the summary of the main Pros and Cons of The Casio Pro Trek Black Sport PRW-6000Y-1ACR.
- The low-temperature resistance makes it convenient for mountain climbers and those that may live in colder regions.
- Solar powered batteries are an amazing feature necessary for any outdoor watch.
- It has a commendable battery run-time of up to 6 months without needing recharging.
- The anti-scratch material keeps it looking new for a long time.
- Highly durable material casing with G-shock technology.
- It can serve as a military watch
- The waterproof function makes it suitable for swimmers and snorkelers.
- The sensor alerts the wearer of any abrupt weather change which is good to avoid getting stuck in a bad storm.
- The watch is bulky and heavy and can get in the way of everyday activities.
- The price is for high-end buyers
Notes:- The Casio Pro Trek Black Sport is beautiful to behold. Rigid, durable casing with a sophisticated ABC function, there is no reason not to want it. Even though it is expensive, it is a timepiece and that is a consolation.
7. Casio Pro Trek Triple Sensor Digital Sport PRG-270-1
This watch is for Casio watch lovers who do not want to go heavy on their spending. It offers a better battery life than the two listed forehand with up to 9 months without being recharged and at the same time, it is cheaper.
While the PRG 270-1 is a little mellow on the specs, it is still a great watch to buy with the signature Casio ABC watch technology to vouch on accuracy and durability of the watch.
- It tells world time for different time zones.
- It is waterproof for up to 100m dive underwater
- ABC functions are done to Casio standard of accuracy
- It is a budget-friendly piece
- Backlit LED and Afterglow for visibility at night
- The watch weighs 11.2 ounces
Below is the summary of the main Pros and Cons of The Casio Pro Trek Triple Sensor Digital Sport PRG-270-1.
- Highly durable watch
- It is a budget-friendly ABC watch
- The watch tells the time of different time zones which is especially useful for military men.
- ABC functions are carried out with high accuracy.
- The long battery life is the best on this list
- The batteries are recharged with solar power.
- The glow and LED light increases visibility when used in the dark.
- It is heavy and therefore you can’t help but notice it all day long
- It is not a smartwatch
Notes:- The Casio Pro Trek Triple Sensor is the perfect budget ABC watch to use without giving up the accuracy standards of ABC readings.
Other wristwatches that classify as highly reputable includes the Suunto Traverse, the Casio GW-9400 Master of G Stainless, Suunto Vector and the Casio Pro Trek Though Solar Water Resistance all of which are unique for their different reasons.
After going through all the watches, each of them is unique and made it to this list for different reasons. However, a verdict will make it easier to choose one.
The Garmin Fernix 5 has the most amount of smart features in a watch but because the Garmin Fernix 3 comes close in comparison in terms of both features, accuracy, and performance while being a lower price, the Fernix 3 is the best ABC to buy for your money. It is both tech-savvy and durable, no doubt something you would enjoy.
The Suunto Core follows close as the most budget-friendly smart ABC for you if you can do without the GPS. However, if you need a GPS then you will be delighted to get any of the SuuntoAmbit 3.
If you are in search of something rigid, especially as bikers, cyclers mountain climbers etc. that can withstand rough handling then the Casio PRW6000Y-1ACR is the go-to watch you should get. However, if you aren’t looking to spend more than $500 on a watch, the Casio PRG270-1 is a budget-friendly basic ABC watch. Either way, if you are going for Casio, you must not be looking for smartwatch features like app connectivity and heart rate tracker.
Buying Guide For The Best ABC Watch in 2019
When you are looking to buy an ABC watch, different things run through your mind. You need one that pretty much does the job so that you don’t find yourself needing an upgrade a few months after buying. This quick and easy buying guide will help you make the right decision in less than 10 minutes by easily focusing on what is important.
If you focus on point alone, you can cut through the other four in a blink and make your choice in 2 to three minutes. It is that simple when getting an ABC watch, you need to figure out what you need your watch for. This will include your outdoor activity, what kind of climate you live in and if you need any other information more than the ABS readings.
Do you need a smartwatch?
If you look through the list you find that not all of the watches are going to sync with your phone and give you all your phone’s notifications. But before you go for a smartwatch, it is important to figure out if you actually need one. If all you want is the ABS readings, you don’t need the extra feature on a smartwatch so why pay extra for it?
Do you need a GPS tracker:-
Nobody exactly loves to get lost, but unless you are going to be cycling or hiking on adventurous terrain, you may not need a GPS as much as you think you do. All you need to do is think about it.
Most important is the accuracy of ABS readings you are getting on your watch, after all, that is the primary purpose of getting it. While some altimeter reads to the nearest meter, others read to the nearest 5 m, some altimeter might get their measurement from the air pressure change rather than actual elevation, etc. Depends on how sensitive your activities are; you will have different preferences.
The last thing to consider is your budget. How much you are willing to spend and getting the right watch for your money cannot be overemphasized.
In conclusion, the question of what is the best ABC watch to buy has been answered here. With the fast buying guide and a verdict, you can have your answer in less than 5 minutes and you can go through the individual spec for more indebt information on each ABC watch. With a generous budget, the Garmin Fernix 5 is the watch with the most feature on this list. If you don’t need a smartwatch, the Casio PRW6000Y-1ACR comes in as the most impressive. However, if you are on a budget, the SuumtoAmbit 3 Run and the Casio PRG 270-1 are great buys.