Do you have the curiosity to know about the Best Stethoscope for Medical Students to buy in 2020? 🤔 You can easily Find out now in this definitive list with our detailed review.
Without any further delay let’s find out. 👓
If you are a medical or nursing student on the market for a telescope, then you will agree that finding the right one raises your heartbeat. The process is so challenging even with brand names with good reputations on the market.
Well, if you are reading this, then congratulations as we have sorted it out. In the article below, we have brought some of the best sought after stethoscope on the market that will do the job – no matter what the use it and a guide on buying, maintaining and frequently asked questions on stethoscopes.
At the time of our research on “Best Stethoscope for Medical Students”, we found a video about “20 Medical Lies That You Still Believe” which is worth watching. 🎁
Whatever your choice is for a stethoscope, it is better to spend money getting a good one with multiple functions that are easy to use than a cheap one that will get damages after fewer uses.
The following are our take on the best stethoscope hope you are able to make up your mind afterward.
Best Stethoscope for Medical Students: Our Pick
1. 3M Littmann Classic II S.E Stethoscope
Although a pricier version than most stethoscopes on the market, the 3M Littmann Classic II S.E is top-notch in design, craftsmanship, and performance.
Every material used in the design is well picked out and the manufacturing makes is a durable and sturdy piece of equipment to hang around your neck proudly.
Below are some of the features of the 3M Littmann Classic II S.E Stethoscope that earned it a spot in our list of Best Stethoscope for Medical Students.
- The Littmann II S.E has a 28-inch strong tube that allows for a super-sensitive acoustic response with clear auscultation that medical personnel can rely on.
- It is a two-sided chest piece head allowing you to listen from both ends of the stethoscope
- A very dependable tunable diaphragm allows clinicians to listen to sounds at different frequencies by adjusting the pressure piece over the chest.
- Comfortable and adjustable headset with ear tubes that allows you to hear soft or loudly by fiddling a bit with the tube.
Below are some of the Pros and Cons of the 3M Littmann Classic II S.E Stethoscope that earned it a spot in our list of Best Stethoscope for Medical Students to get in 2020.
- Products are made with latex-free material for people allergic to it
- The rim on the chest piece is non-chill to prevent the patient from getting that initial shock when it touches the skin
- Well designed headset curved to sit properly in the ear canal
- Single and durable tube for better sound clarity
- Comes in 6 different colors
- The tube is flexible enough to take up any shape you fold it into
- The green color tube shows bend mark and not as durable as other colors
3M Littmann Classic is the power to learn in your palm with simple but strong design; this stethoscope prepares you for the workload of the day. With all the features it possesses, you can never be disappointed not hearing a heartbeat any day.
2. Stemoscope: The Most Affordable Bluetooth Digital Stethoscope
The world is evolving every second of the day and so is science and technology. Every day, something or the other is being introduced in the market that is changing our ways and making us more advanced than our previous generations.
A marked invention that has made its rounds in the medicine world, is expected to aid medical students and medical professionals to a great extent. This invention is called the ‘Stemoscope’.
The Stemoscope is kind of a digital stethoscope, that complements a regular stethoscope. It comprises of a small circular dial, which is almost the same size as the chest piece of a regular stethoscope. The way it works might be a game-changer for every medical student, nurse and health care professional.
How it works
The way in which Stemoscope works is innovative. It comes with an application that can easily be downloaded on any android or apple phone. After its installation is complete, all one has to do is scan the QR code from the back of the Stemoscope to register and it is good to go.
It consists of a bell and a diaphragm, much like that of regular stethoscopes. This device can be put on any object; be it on the chest, on your pet or even on a tree, it catches every sound or buzz, which can ultimately be listened through the phone.
It is preferred to use headsets, to make sure all external noise is blocked, so you can easily listen to anything you put the Stemoscope to. The best feature of this device is that it works by Bluetooth, so whatever you are listening to, you cannot just save it on your phone, but also share it with whoever you wish to share with.
A portable device that can be carried anywhere
The biggest advantage of having a Stemoscope is that it is small in size, which means that it can be carried anywhere.
It is never easy to have a bag on your shoulders to carry all of your essentials wherever you go. Stemoscope can travel with you anywhere you wish to take it. It can snuggle right inside your pocket, ready to be used at any time of the day.
Builds a stronger bond with patients
Doctors can effectively use this device to communicate well with their patients. This device is a great way for doctors to earn their patients’ confidence, as doctors can use this device and tell their patients what their heart sounds like.
This device can serve as a great ice-breaker for doctors who deal with kids, as most kids are quite hesitant to get their medical checkups done whereas most of them cry at the sight of a doctor. This can be managed by making them listen to the lub-dub of their own heart when the doctor can examine the kid with ease.
This method will not just make patients more comfortable but will also help doctors build a great bond with them.
A great tool for nurses
Nurses, who play a crucial role in making sure that all patients receive the right amount of medication, checking their vitals every chance they get.
For them, the Stemoscope can be a great tool to carry around and listen to the heart sounds of their patients; they can also use the Stemoscope during blood pressure recording, as Korotkoff sounds can be heard through this device.
Brings you closer to nature and can help you meditate
The Stemoscope’s use is not just limited to the medical world, but it can also be used by anyone who wants to record the sounds of nature and later listen to them; reminiscing their experience, while sitting at home.
For people who love nature and love listening to the birds chirping and the rustling of the leaves, can record them in real-time and listen to them while meditating and let the mind be at peace.
Studying medicine in a fun way with the Stemoscope
Stemoscope is sure to make learning medicine a lot more fun and easier. With the help of Stemoscope, professors can teach their students about the heart sounds that exist normally.
For most medical students, it is difficult to understand how the heartbeats and how it can be listened to through a stethoscope. It becomes hard to distinguish if they are listening to someone’s heartbeat that is physiological or pathological, in order to know that, they should be aware of how normal heartbeats.
If they use the Stemoscope and record how a normal heart sounds like, they’ll easily be able to distinguish someone with an actual pathology once they start off with their medical rotations, they’ll easily be able to distinguish the difference.
Every medical student may be equipped with a Stemoscope to complement their regular stethoscope so that they can learn on their own but also share their learning experience with their friends.
This device is an amazing invention, this will help a lot of people get a better understanding of all that is happening inside the human body, will give them the ability to differentiate and memorize the patterns that will help them lead to a diagnosis. The Stemoscope’s application also shows the waveforms of the sounds, helping in interpreting the difference between S1 and S2 sounds.
Stemoscope is a great device that will help a lot of medical students, nurses, health care professionals, and even doctors. It can certainly be gifted to anyone who is interested in pursuing medicine.
This device is not just great to listen to the heartbeat, but one can also listen to the Korotkoff’s sounds while taking blood pressure. It can also be used to listen to the lungs and make out if the lungs are congested or not.
All in all, the Stemoscope is a great device that complements a regular stethoscope. The fact that all the sound waves it catches can be heard through the phone is one of its best features, as one can easily record, save and share all in a matter of minutes.
3. R.A Bock Cardiology Dual Head Stethoscope
Another beautiful stethoscope with excellent features for medical students on a budget while it might look like the traditional stethoscope; it has all the modern and innovative features of all stethoscopes.
Below are some of the features of the R.A Bock Cardiology Dual Head Stethoscope that earned it a spot in our list of Best Stethoscope for Medical Students.
- It has a stainless steel dual-head chest piece allows you to listen to from both sides
- The tunable diaphragm has a double-leaf binaural spring that allows for easy adjustment of the chest piece which makes it put in our best stethoscope for medical students 2020 lists.
- The stethoscope is a single tube for excellent clarity and minimal acoustic intrusion
Below are some of the Pros and Cons of the R.A Bock Cardiology Dual Head Stethoscope that earned it a spot in our list of Best Stethoscope for Medical Students to get in 2020.
- Non-chill stainless steel rim to prevent shock when it touches a patient skin
- Excellent device for high and low frequency
- Comes with a lifetime warranty
- A bit heavy
Even though it is not a Littman brand, this stethoscope holds its own among medical stethoscope for a medical practitioner. Whether you are listening to your heart, lungs or catching a faint sound from a patient, the R.A Bock stethoscope is one to have around your collar.
At the time of our research, we found a video about “10 First Aid Mistakes Explained by a Professional” which is worth it watching. 🤴🏆
4. ADC Adscope All-Black 600 Platinum Cardiology Stethoscope
ADC Stethoscopes in this series is the biggest rival to the Littman brand. It has a well thought out engineering to produce the best stethoscope for medical student and clinicians that performs excellently but at an affordable price.
Below are some of the features of the ADC Adscope All-Black 600 Platinum Cardiology Stethoscope that earned it a spot in our list of Best Stethoscope for Medical Students.
- The chest piece is a clean surgical stainless steel that has been well polished to allow you to hear clearly.
- The combination of a dual, bi-lumen headset with the anodized aluminum binaural produces clear transmission of all sounds from the chest piece at any frequency
- A soft ear tip that is comfortable allowing you to listen without making mistakes.
Below are some of the Pros and Cons of the ADC Adscope All-Black 600 Platinum Cardiology Stethoscope that earned it a spot in our list of Best Stethoscope for Medical Students to get in 2020.
- A good value stethoscope with great acoustic sounds
- Lifetime warranty
- Comes in 9 different colors and three metal finished for the chest piece – stainless steel, titanium gold plating and tactical
- Excellent craftsmanship and comfort
- The pack comes with an extra accessory – an id tag and extra earplugs
- Medical people that use the ADC 600 stethoscope have a lifetime supply of ear tip and diaphragms from the company
- Create customer service agent to handle any trouble with your stethoscope
- Made in the USA
- The stethoscope is heavier and not great hanging around the neck
- Some find the tubing short at 27 inches long
- The ear tips wear out very easily
The ADC Adscope 600 Platinum Series stethoscope is a keeper. Aside from the design, model, and performance, it is durable and sound sensitive ensuring you never miss a sound during diagnosis.
5. MDF Acoustica Deluxe Lightweight Stethoscope
The MDF lightweight stethoscope is another medical tool that will deliver the same as the best but with lesser features. However, you will hear the important stuff like the heart beating, lung or other sounds in the body.
Below are some of the features of the MDF Acoustica Deluxe Lightweight Stethoscope that earned it a spot in our list of Best Stethoscope for Medical Students.
- The MDF Acoustica aluminum material makes this stethoscope light and gives it the incredible auscultation property with impeccable clarity during every use
- Its ergonomic design makes it super comfortable for medical practitioners. The Acoustica stethoscope unmatched clarity makes it one of the most durable medical devices on the market.
- The dual side chest piece comes with an ultrasensitive diaphragm with non-chill stainless steel head to securely transfer sounds it picks up in the body.
Below are some of the Pros and Cons of the MDF Acoustica Deluxe Lightweight Stethoscope that earned it a spot in our list of Best Stethoscope for Medical Students to get in 2020.
- It is lightweight and very comfortable
- Durable with a lifetime warranty and extra parts such as the ear tip in the package for the first purchase
- Has the ability to amplify and isolated sound at very low frequency to the human ears
- Ear tips are phthalate-free material and easy to clean
- The interior Y-shape non-stick tubing provides excellent insulation for great sound clarity
- The acoustic property is not as powerful as other stethoscopes
- The comfort is on the average
Although the acoustic quality is low on the MDF stethoscope, it works great for the basic function of listening to the heart, lungs, and stomach. It serves well as an everyday tool for a medical student without breaking the bank.
6. 3M Littmann Classic II S.E Black N’ Burgundy Stethoscope
This stethoscope is one of our lists as the best teaching stethoscope for medical student and teachers who want their students to relate well with the class and understand what auscultation is all about.
The ability for two listeners to use one stethoscope gives this stethoscope some impressive and advanced features to boost it.
Below are some of the features of the 3M Littmann Classic II S.E Black N’ Burgundy Stethoscope that earned it a spot in our list of Best Stethoscope for Medical Students.
- To comfortability, clarity, and ability to distinguish sounds, the Littmann 2-1 classic II teaching stethoscope delivers high pitch sound and has superior performance for teacher and student.
- It also features a dual side chest piece with a non-chill stainless steel rim with a tunable diaphragm for a deeper acoustic sound iconic to any Littmann brand.
Below are some of the Pros and Cons of the 3M Littmann Classic II S.E Black N’ Burgundy Stethoscope that earned it a spot in our list of Best Stethoscope for Medical Students to get in 2020.
- Come with a three-year warranty
- Angled headset for a comfortable anatomical fit and excellent hearing
- Latex-free tubes for people or medical personnel with allergy
- 40 inches long in black and burgundy color
- Two heads controlling on stethoscope can be awkward and cumbersome
- It can be difficult for some people to understand and use
- The length is not long enough for two people
Despite all these setbacks, the 3M Littmann Classic II S.E 2-1 stethoscope still remains the best teaching medical tools to listen to clear auscultation for both teacher and student.
The 3M Littman classic II is recommended for educational facilities for one experience you will enjoy as a medical student.
7. Bojing Multifunctional All-Purpose Stethoscope
The Bojing Stethoscope is a very affordable medical tool with just above average features and qualities to get you through medical school. It is on our list for many reasons; some of which are the chic and durable design, functionality, lightweight and other features listed below.
Below are some of the features of the Bojing Multifunctional All-Purpose Stethoscope that earned it a spot in our list of Best Stethoscope for Medical Students.
Like all stethoscopes, the Bojing tunable diaphragm can distinguish sound in any frequency range. The tunable is divided into two parts, the flat part for high frequency and the bell shape part for low frequencies
The teardrop chest piece shape allows you to fit it comfortable under a blood pressure cuffs and listen to the heartbeat. This limits time wastage in dealing with adult patients since their heart rates can be read during a BP test.
Below are some of the Pros and Cons of the Bojing Multifunctional All-Purpose Stethoscope that earned it a spot in our list of Best Stethoscope for Medical Students to get in 2020.
- Comfortable angled headset for precision listening
- The tubing is comfortable, durable, and easy to maintain and never get old
- The entire stethoscope can be separated for easy cleaning or carrying after a long day at work
- Ability to adjust the ear tip to increase or minimize the volume of the sound
- The earpiece is made with eco-friendly materials
- Non-chill stainless steel rim for patient comfort
- A good starting stethoscope for students
- Good acoustics but not great when compared to high-end brands
- The listening can be difficult but work okay
Many disagree with the capacity of Bojing been a good stethoscope for a medical student, but overall it has proven to be quite efficient regardless of the price and shortcomings.
Regardless of the entire negative talks, Bojing is good starting scope for medical students all over the world.
8. 3M Littman Cardiology IV Diagnostic Stethoscope
This is another Littmann brand and the 6152 cardiology IV is an excellent choice not just for medical students, but for professional doctors in the field. For medical and aspiring doctors, the Littman 6152 will provide great sound, durability, excellent learning curve and an all-around quality stethoscope that will hang proudly around your neck.
Below are some of the features of the 3M Littman Cardiology IV Diagnostic Stethoscope that earned it a spot in our list of Best Stethoscope for Medical Students.
This stethoscope has dual diaphragms to capture high and low frequencies sound. This quality gives it excellent acoustic making it an excellent scope for anyone in the medical line.
It also comes with double-lumen tubing to reduce external noise to the barest minimum from the tubes rubbing together during use
The ear tubes are well angled for all ear canals and can be adjusted for all ear size and shape. Furthermore, they fit snuggly into the ears eliminating all background noise and allowing the doctor to hear and distinguish sounds in the body.
Below are some of the Pros and Cons of the 3M Littman Cardiology IV Diagnostic Stethoscope that earned it a spot in our list of Best Stethoscope for Medical Students to get in 2020.
- Durable, sturdy and excellent material that will serve you for a long time
- The tubes are strong, flexible and show no cracks or tear even after years of usage
- The tubing is easy to clean and resistant to water damage
- It is very pricey but worth it
- Need some mastering to use it efficiently
The Littmann 6152 is among the best stethoscope if you can afford the hefty price tag attached to it. At a standard tube length of 27 inches, this stethoscope will deliver a precise reading at every usage without failure.
9. Dual Head Stethoscope for Medical Students
FriCARE is a brand that has been making a stethoscope for ages and this one delivers on all the promises by the manufacturer. All stethoscopes are clinically tested, tried and certified before it can be used by anyone in the medical line not only medical students.
Below are some of the features of the Dual Head Stethoscope for Medical Students that earned it a spot in our list of Best Stethoscope for Medical Students.
A FriCARE stethoscope is known for their acoustic qualities as they allow you to recognize all sounds inside the body from the heart, lungs, or from other body organs without obtrusion.
It is a two-sided chest piece with thick, flexible tubing and a soft earpiece that fits comfortably inside the ears for clear and distinguished sound performance.
The FriCARE stethoscope comes with 28-inch thick tubing that seals stainless steel ends to prevent the interference of outside noise and also cracks due to wear and tear.
It also has a dual side chest piece with a flexible diaphragm and bell that allows you to listen for auscultation at all frequencies with improved clarity.
Below are some of the Pros and Cons of the Dual Head Stethoscope for Medical Students that earned it a spot in our list of Best Stethoscope for Medical Students to get in 2020.
- Non-chill stainless steel rim avoid patients complaining that is too cold to their skin
- A good stethoscope and a great gift for nurses, doctor, paramedics, and medical students
- Matte finish that is resistant to stain and dirt
- Durable and strong tubing
- Affordable and well designed
- Soft tight comfortable ear tips that sit in your ears without pain
With a 2 year warranty and a promise for risk-free, FriCARE is a stethoscope that deserves to be around your collar as you pass through medical school
It is affordable, comfortable, great sound clarity and it is durable. Whether you are just starting out in medical school or looking to replace an old stethoscope, FriCARE is the one for you.
10. White Coat Dual Stethoscope with Protective Case
Whitecoat professional stethoscope is a complete medical kit for any medical student or professionals who want the best addition to their medical career. This stethoscope is a good choice as it delivers on all the features of a good medical listening tool at an affordable price.
Below are some of the features of the White Coat Dual Stethoscope with Protective Case that earned it a spot in our list of Best Stethoscope for Medical Students.
The all-black stethoscope is complete handmade thick-walled single tubing for more clarity and less outside noise.
The earpiece is made of silicone to ease the normal discomfort experienced by doctors and people in the medical profession.
The dual head is stainless steel and designed to pick up sounds at a frequency lower than most stethoscopes to pick up with clarity.
Below are some of the Pros and Cons of the White Coat Dual Stethoscope with Protective Case that earned it a spot in our list of Best Stethoscope for Medical Students to get in 2020.
- Durable but flexible tubing ceremony
- Has a lifetime warranty
- Very clear acoustic performance
- Latex free tubing
- Comes with 4 extra silicone ear tips
- Tubing is a bit noisy
White Coat Stethoscope might not have all the features the best brands have; it certainly delivers on what is important – delivery clarity to low and high frequency sounds coming from the body.
11. Omron Sprague Rappaport Stethoscope
The Omron Sprague is the cheapest stethoscope in the bunch and before you rule it out; this stethoscope actually stands shoulder length with the best on the market. At less than a pound, the Omron will make medical school a breeze ensuring you never miss a beat.
Below are some of the features of the Omron Sprague Rappaport Stethoscope that earned it a spot in our list of Best Stethoscope for Medical Students.
The Rappaport stethoscope is made of a chrome chest piece with three different bell sizes and two diaphragms for excellent clarity and acoustic sound range on different frequencies. The tubing is made with natural latex tubing with modest durability.
Below are some of the Pros and Cons of the Omron Sprague Rappaport Stethoscope that earned it a spot in our list of Best Stethoscope for Medical Students to get in 2020.
- Affordable and lightweight
- Not good for professional or intense medical training
- It wears out easily and needs constant replacement
- The sound quality is poor but allows you to hear with rapt attention
Even though the Omron Rappaport is nowhere near other stethoscopes like the Littmann in quality and design, it is not a bad as a starting stethoscope for a medical student.
Best Stethoscope for Medical Students:- Buying Guide
There are varieties of a stethoscope on the market, below are some key features to consider when choosing a stethoscope
- The diaphragm – does it deliver great acoustic and is it adjustable
- Tubing – is it made of natural material, latex or synthetic
- The earpiece – what material is it made off with, are they comfortable, can it be replaced
- The weight – how heavy is it and how long will it be in use
- Maintenance – how easy is it to clean
- Customized – medical students love to personalize their tools, and a stethoscope is one of those special medical school items.
Choosing The Best stethoscope for medical students:-
When choosing the right stethoscope for medical school, you will notice that there are a lot of brands and designs some of which are functional and others, well not up to stat but all serve a purpose.
Some factors have to be taken into considerations when choosing a stethoscope – the weight, the design, the material that makes the stethoscope, the sound quality and of course the price.
If you want to go for high-end brands, then brands like Littmann have excellent designs and meet the requirement of medical personnel whether doctors or student doctors; but they are durable and you might not need another one after medical school.
Determine the purpose and duration of use:-
When picking out the stethoscope for you, weight and how long it stays in your ears or around your neck should be factors worth considering.
If you work in a busy hospital setting, you should go for one with improved clarity or that can minimize external noises or amplify the sound at different frequencies for your eardrums
For a medical student working with a host of patients, consider a multipurpose stethoscope that will not involve replacing worn out parts too often
Set a budget – stethoscope range in prices from as little as below 10 dollars to a couple of hundreds. As a medical student instinct will want you to go for the expensive brands which are not bad but consider your budget.
If you decide to go for cheap or affordable brands, you might end up sacrificing some qualities that can simplify your work such as sound clarity, durability, and material even if you get to use it without worries.
As a student, a stethoscope for fewer than 50 dollars will do all the work you need but if you have the finances, by all means, splurge on a good one.
Ask your colleagues or teachers which is best – their opinion matters too
If you are new to using a stethoscope, the opinions of your mates and instructors should count in making a choice.
They are in a position to give you insights on which is good and where to get quality one that can be refunded if you have a problem with it.
Read Reviews before choosing one Online:-
Chances are you will end up paying for one online. So whatever your choice is read the reviews of other buyers before outing money down for one.
Remember to check the customer return policy on the product and brand also in case anything happens during delivery or after delivery.
How to take care of my Stethoscope?
- Usually, the cleaning method for a stethoscope is in a manual that comes with the product on a purchase. In most cases, alcohol or solvents of that caliber are best to clean it.
- Do not submerge your stethoscope in any kind of liquid all in the name of cleaning it, you will damage it. However, you should not use any harmful chemicals either; it might dry out the tubes
- Secondly, stethoscope should not be placed in a place too cold or too hot and always remove the earpieces when cleaning and clean them separately.
Note – Earpieces are cheaper and easily replaced to change the old ones instead of cleaning them.
📗FAQ’s on Best Stethoscope for Medical Students
Below are the couple of queries on Best Stethoscope for Medical Students that everyone is expecting to answer and I did include the same for my readers.
What part of a stethoscope should be checked when buying one?
as a student, the following parts must be checked; The Binaural – the stainless steel part that extends from the tubing to the earpiece The ear tips – either plastic, silicone or other material that covers the metallic part that goes into the ear The tubing – the rubber part that runs from the binaural to the diaphragm The chest piece – the part that holds the diaphragm or bell for a two-sided head The stem- the metal part that attaches the tube to the chest piece The ball bearing – allows for switching between frequencies
What does a dual-headed stethoscope mean?
Traditionally, stethoscopes had only one side but thanks to technology, they now have two working sides. Each side has a different function. One side for high frequency and the other for low-frequency sounds
How much is a stethoscope?
The prices vary and range from 20 dollars to 300 dollars. However, some stethoscope cost more depending on their use, material, and brands.
Where can I buy a good stethoscope?
If your medical school doesn’t have a shop or place where they sell; you can buy from certified online stores like Amazon or other e-commerce stores.
The tubing on my stethoscope is hard, why is it so?
Most tubing is made with PVC which hardens when the oils on the human skin touch it repeatedly. So to avoid this, wear your stethoscope on the collar of your doctor’s coat than on your collar.
can a stethoscope be returned if I don’t like it?
Yes you can. Before buying a stethoscope, always take your time to read through the company’s return policy. If they have one, ensure you return it within the due date stated on the product.
Finally, we hope we have covered all the choices and types of stethoscopes on the market to ease your burden when choosing one. Stethoscope are saving lives daily and having a good one will be the tool need around your collar as you grow your career to be a professional doctor.