Today our mobile phones are filled with different apps to meet different needs. For online shopping we use Amazon, Flipkart, for food delivery we use Zomato and Swiggy, for Cab facilities we use Uber and Ola, for reading news we use Bloomberg, Flipboard, Economic Times, and for entertainment purposes, we use Instagram, Facebook, Youtube.
From a survey, it was proven that people use apps like Instagram, Facebook more. i.e., fun and entertainment is a demanding segment. Developers started making apps like Instagram to satisfy that demand.
Some apps gained very much popularity, and some failed miserably. So in this article, we are going to discover some apps which are similar to Instagram and Facebook.
But before that, let us take a moment and witness the beautiful journey of the Internet, IT world, Facebook, and Instagram. Here we go!
If we consider the world of technical gadgets(computers or smartphones), we can realize that most of our professional(official) or personal work are carried out by those devices.
Moreover, if you research, you can also understand that computers and phones contain essential Information such as bank details, documents, mail details, addresses, contact details, etc. All these things possible with the help of certain websites and applications.
To make life easier, humans started developing many applications and tools. These were initially started to help humankind. But later, we tried to implement IT to make applications and websites for fun and entertainment purposes.
In the year 2010, Mike Krieger and Kevin Systrom developed a social platform where one can share their picture. You cooked something, and now you want to show it to your close ones. What would you do? Click a picture of that food and upload it on Instagram.
People who follow you can see, comment, and interact with your post. They might share that picture with their close ones. Though it seems very normal nowadays, it was a new concept a decade ago.
People started loving this feature, and the number of users also enhanced over a period of time. Let’s dig a little deeper to know why exactly Instagram has achieved so much popularity?
What made Instagram so famous? People don’t want long texts, so they showed their interest in watching videos and photos. News channels also started sharing small videos and infographics to deliver news at our fingertips.
Some newspapers and magazines are paid. Instagram is absolutely free, and most importantly, it is easy to use. Instagram allows you to make your ordinary picture extraordinary by applying a bunch of filters. Instagram doesn’t try to do so many things.
It focuses on one thing with perfection. It allows a user to see feeds of his/her area of interest in the explore section. It updates its features with market requirements from time to time. It doesn’t contain monotonous and frustrating ads.
One can earn money from Instagram by becoming an Instagram influencer. With the dawning of the age of social media, we are already convinced to share stills or snippets of our life conveniently with the whole world.
People have already started saying that, you don’t have any proof of existence if you don’t exist on social media. Image sharing platforms have become the latest trend as we give so much importance to these apps.
Let’s take a moment and admit it that most internet users are migrating from Facebook to Instagram. It may be a bitter truth for Zuckerberg, but Facebook seems outdated these days.
With cool features like many filters, boomerangs, stories, guess the gibberish, and reels, this popular photo sharing app is first in the queue of all social media. And that’s how a ten-year-old startup became a photo-filled, billion-dollar beast accepted by over 1.5 billion people now.
Whether you love Instagram or hate it, we can’t deny the fact that this little app has blown up to become one of the most favored social media of our time.
Best Apps Like Instagram: Our Top Pick 👌
There are millions of apps available in the play store(android) and app stores (iOS). However, apps like Instagram are rare. To develop an app having features like this is not an easy job. Other apps like Instagram can offer a refreshing change.
These are apps that have copied and rolled some of the best features of Instagram into their own. But you will get a totally different experience when you use them. Using Instagram for a long period of time and looking for something different from Instagram?
Looking for something new to try out? Have a look through the following list of apps where you can share awesome pictures. Some apps on the list might not be as big as that of Snapchat and Instagram, but they are definitely community-driven and visually appealing.
Snapchat is a multimedia app that essentially keeps friends connected. What makes it different from the other apps is that people can instantly exchange pictures with their friends while talking to them, so they know in real-time who is up to what.
Besides, the pictures or snaps that are exchanged are viewable for only a few seconds and do not eat up space on the sender’s or receiver’s phone. Snapchat is one of the very few apps that notify users if their snap or chat is screenshotted.
This adds a layer of privacy and is valued by many. Snapchat was the flag bearer of the famous dog filter that users apply for taking pictures. There are various filters on Snapchat which are entertaining.
Recently, they also introduced games so friends can play together. Snapchat also supports audio and video calls. This social media has a rating of 4.3 stars in the google play store.
- Beautiful photos can be taken by using Snapchat with your phone camera.
- You can add a lens or filter to your photo.
- You can create your own filter.
- You can try out lenses made by different communities.
- You can video call 16 people at a time, and that’s bliss for us and an advantage over WhatsApp video calls.
- You can use exclusive friend emojis like Bitmojis.
- You can watch trending news and shows.
- You can add stories and watch other’s stories.
- You can create memories and share old stories.
- You can send your location to your friends and relatives.
Facebook and Instagram share a lot of similar features. You can share images, add filters, and more. You can add Stories(expire after 24 hours), make wishes, write on your friend’s timeline, etc. You can add both photos and videos in stories.
You can go live on both Facebook and Instagram and talk with your friends and followers. However, Facebook has an edge in proliferation, popularity, and years of experience.
Facebook has its own chat facility named messenger. Facebook is definitely among the best apps like Instagram. As we all know Facebook has acquired Instagram back in 2012, still both have their own significance.
In case you forgot your Instagram password, you can log into Instagram with your Facebook account and that’s really helpful. For any company or organization, two social media pages are a must.
Facebook is one among them. People usually write reviews, feedback, and complaints about a company on its Facebook page. And the companies also try to engage with their customers through various posts, stories, and other activities.
They also solve their queries on Facebook. So, in this way companies can create and maintain healthy relationships with their loyal customers. Though people say Facebook is clumsy, still it remains a giant in the field of social media networks.
You can also follow your role models, favorite persons, and see their feed and lifestyle. Facebook helps your business to grow, let people know about your presence. You can also add pictures, run ads of your products and services, and get new customers.
Thus Facebook plays a critical role both in personal and professional life. This social media has a rating of 4.2 stars in the google play store.
- Connect with friends, families, and new people also.
- It allows you to set status updates and use various emojis.
- You can go live and interact with people.
- Play different games with any of your Facebook friends.
- This app will send notification on your friend’s birthday. You can wish them on Facebook and over the phone in case you forgot.
- It sends you notifications about future events
- You can buy and sell products on the Facebook marketplace. It helps small businesses to grow.
- You can give reviews and read reviews about an organization.
Flickr’s name will definitely come when we discuss apps like Instagram. You can use it to store your photos and share them with the public. The app gives you a sense of professionalism.
The primary use of this app includes sharing, posting, discussing, and archiving videos and photos. Here you can upload pictures of any resolution. The platform is not as big and vibrant as Instagram, but a popular image storing and sharing platform for sure. The app has a rating of 3.8 stars.
- You can upload, manage, edit, and share images with this cool application.
- It provides a group of photographers with millions of photos.
- You can find people of the same interest.
- It allows you to use your creativity, crop image, and add filters.
4. Google Photos
Google Photos is not a social media platform like Instagram or Facebook. The app solves the purpose of easy storing and sharing a bulk amount of photos. You can store “n” number of photos and videos and share them with your friends and relatives easily.
It doesn’t have features like Instagram or Snapchat. If you upload photos in Google photos, it will be convenient for you to share. Sometimes, Google photos suggest to achieve photos, to rotate an image.
And sometimes, Google also edits your ordinary photo to look extraordinary. You can also see memories of 1 year, two years, or five years back, like story features on Instagram. This app has a rating of 4.3 stars.
- It is like a home to all your photos and videos.
- Cool editing features and easy sharing is the best part about it.
- You don’t have to worry about your storage as all of your photos will be automatically backed up in your google account.
- You can easily edit, delete, and free up space on your phone.
- The app will automatically create smart albums with your photos.
- You will get all the photos in your fingertips with the date and year wise with the storage location.
5. Imgur: Find funny GIFs, memes & watch viral videos
Imgur is just like Flickr, but it is more popular than Flickr. The Reddit app supports Imgur links. You can share an unlimited no. of photos and also browse photos of others. Another advantage of Imgur is you can find memes, funny images more. But Reddit is better. This app has a rating of 4.0 stars.
- If you are a meme lover, you are in the right place.
- This is probably the only place that supports gif.
- You will find a huge amount of memes and sound-enabled gifs here.
6. We Heart It
We Heart It is a great platform to share images. It is a close competitor of Imgur. However, the content here is feminine. We don’t hesitate to say it because the platform’s target audience is young women.
You will find inspirational and motivational quotes and photos here. It connects you to positive and inspirational people. So this community will give you content and friends who share similar interests as you.
Actually, the platform is a mixture of Instagram and Pinterest. You can upload your own photos, create your canvas, browse for other photos, like photos of others, and add them to your “Hearts” section.
It is different from apps like Instagram in the way that it is not a comparison-heavy culture. Apart from photos and videos, you can add gifs, not supported by Instagram.
As discussed earlier, the user base is mostly women. So you should be careful about the usage of this platform. The rating of the app in the play store is found to be 4.5 stars.
- It follows a freemium business model.
- You can explore trending topics, search millions of posts, and discover top writers.
- The app allows you to download and save your favorite images.
Pinterest has come across as a very helpful social media network for all, especially for businesses. If you are wondering about a high-quality image, then you are in the right place.
People share pictures of their business for advertising and marketing purposes. This is not social media or a platform to chat or use a filter. You can pin a picture and also download it to your phone directly. This app has a rating of 4.6 stars.
- This app provides millions of HD images.
- You can explore lifestyle, favorite topics, and pin the images to your account.
- You can also view and save other people’s pinned images.
8. Tusky for Mastodon
Mastodon is comparatively new to the market. Here we can make servers on the basis of your interest. You can find servers for food, technology, sports, knowledge, etc.
Though it has limited access it is very much personalized as per one’s area of interest. The traffic is less as the app is in its nascent stage. It has a few similarities with Reddit and other platforms. App rating is 3.5 stars.
- It is a free and open-source social network server.
- It supports all Mastodon features like lists, emojis, photos, and videos.
- It gives you the option to choose dark mode also.
At the time of our research on Best Apps Like Instagram, we found a video about “INSTAGRAM HACKS TO TAKE GOOD PHOTOS” which is worth watching. 🤴😎
The most professional social media platform is Twitter. From a company point of view, Twitter is a must. People click on the bluebird in their phone to get the latest news, to know the thoughts of businessmen, industrialists, etc.
People write their queries and tag the respective companies and the companies try to solve their problems, make good engagement, and maintain a healthy relationship with their loyal customers. Twitter has a rating of 4.4 stars.
- You can tweet, retweet, share, like in this app.
- You can post visual content and use hashtags.
- You will get to know the breaking news, trending topics of the world.
- You can also use the story feature “Fleets”.
If you think apps like Instagram are too pretentious and crowdy, then you should give a try to Tumblr. Though you won’t get the story and live features, you can customize your page and feed, unlike Instagram. You can use hashtags here also. The app rating is 4.4 stars.
- Tumblr is the canvas that can contain a photo, gif, audio, video.
- You can customize your blog’s color, font, layouts
- You can connect with millions of people using hashtags.
- You will get a feeling of Spotify, Instagram in it.
Yummi may not be that popular, but it is simply an app like Instagram, but for food bloggers and persons who share an interest in food photography, explore & try different dishes.
A social media app that lets you discuss and share your favorite food with others. Yummi application of a person reflects his/her food habits and nutrition lifestyle. The rating of this app is 4.2 stars.
- Backstage timestamp organizes your post into the right order.
- You can have complete control over post visibility.
- You can upload a single as well as multiple photos in a single post just similar to apps like Instagram.
- It allows a proper cuisine category for every post.
- You can find restaurants over it.
- You can search for friends distance-wise also.
- You can bookmark a post to your account.
- You can use geotagging and also find people through the location.
- You can view foodprints, record, and recall your food memories.
Tiktok is probably the most controversial app of 2021. The journey of Tiktok was like a product life cycle. It started, risen exponentially, daily users touched the 1 billion figure, brands started promoting in Tiktok, and then was banned from India, it’s the primary market.
This short video making the app undoubtedly broke the Internet. People shared Tiktok videos on Facebook, Instagram, Whatsapp. You can’t download the app if you are from India.
- You can make short videos and share them on this platform which can be viewed and downloaded by anyone on the app.
- A good opportunity to become a social media influencer and advertising.
If you want to get inspired by people’s work and inspire others by your work, then Dribble is for you. This platform allows you to follow and explore the best designers across the world.
Subscribers use their profiles as a portfolio. You can search for new ideas and designs from anyone. Its rating in the play store is 3.9 stars.
- You can upload and browse your recent shots, photos, and videos.
- Liking features are similar to apps like Instagram. You just need to tap twice.
- You can open shots directly from Dribble links.
- It allows you to enable dark theme mode.
You may find this app with a new name, i.e., “Resplash.” If you browse through apps like Instagram for content ideas, quotes, and motivating images, you might like Unsplash.
Yes, we can say it works similarly to Pinterest. You can find a massive collection of images of high resolution. A photo library that can help you in many ways, for professional as well as personal purposes. The app rating is 4.4 stars.
- You can browse through over 1 million high-res photos.
- It enables you to change your wallpaper automatically.
- You can use the dark theme and download the raw photos as well.
We rate Retrica very high when it comes to apps like Instagram. If you are fond of photography, then Retrica is for you. Retrica is a social platform for sharing videos and photos. Here, in Retrica, gif is supported, unlike Instagram.
Retrica is a sea of filers, edits, collages, and probably everything a photo-lover needs. Retrica is something like Instagram, plus a lot of things extra. It helps you to express yourself in a creatively better way. The rating of this app is 4.4 stars.
- Probably the best app to click a snap.
- IT allows you an ocean of filters and frames
- It is easy, simple, and fascinating.
We have seen many instances of data theft of big tech giants like Facebook and Google. Online privacy seems a myth these days. Cluster’s discreet nature stands it out from other apps like Instagram.
You can share photos and videos with only friends and followers. Noone can stalk you and comment on your photo. People accolade this feature and start loving this slowly. The rating of this app is 4.5 stars.
- This app gives you private browsing and sharing of your photos and videos to your followers only.
- You can create a space and add people who care about it.
- Similarly, you can join space and contribute.
17. Quora — Ask Questions, Get Answers
It is moreover an app to share your thoughts in words. The most significant question answer platform in the world.
But certain questions must require a photo. e.g., To answer a question like this “Can you share your body transformation(Before & After) picture? In that case, people upload their photos to motivate others.
Similarly, if I have to go to a B-school and need to see the infrastructure, I can ask a question requesting to share some photos of the campus, hostel, and other available facilities.
Brands also started promoting their products on this platform through advertisements and answering the questions related to their niche. That’s how Quora works. The rating of this app is 3.9 stars.
- You can question anything and give answers to the questions.
- It is indeed a great platform to share your knowledge, experience with others, and help them.
18. VSCO: Photo & Video Editor
VSCO’s standard is decent compared to Instagram. The platform believes in “Make things simple.” Its minimalistic UI, not clumsy and complicated editing tools, serves a purpose and gets the job done.
It is effortless to use. There are a plethora of edit options and filters that make your image look better. You can add the backover images to your camera roll and share them on other social media platforms.
The “tool kit” option in the app takes care of every close detail, that’s something unique. The rating of this application in the play store is 4.3 stars.
- You can create and edit your photo and video. It has good features for editing.
- It also offers a premium membership.
Yes, once upon a time the world exists without Instagram. Instagram came to the market, raised the excitement of the people, created a hype in the market, was acquired by tech-giant Facebook, and became stronger.
But nothing in this world is irreplaceable. However, nowadays people prefer to use Instagram more often than Facebook.
Similarly, the case of the Chinese app “Tiktok”. This Bytedance unit short-video making app gained considerable success between 2017 to 2021. The number of downloads hit more than 2 billion including both android and iOS downloads.
People became social media influencers and brands also started investing in this platform to advertise their products. Tiktok became so much popular that some people started comparing it with online video streaming platform Youtube.
Due to the India-China border class, the Indian Government banned Tiktok along with 58 other apps as a move to boycott Chinese products. That’s the thing. You never know what will happen.
You can get overnight success and your 5 years empire can be destroyed in a moment. So apps will come and go, but their impact will say it all. There are cricket players whose career extended for over 20 years, but there are also some players who can’t even survive 1 year in International cricket.
Who knows that Snapchat gained enormous popularity in the market where there were already big players like Facebook, Instagram, and Whatsapp, etc. As soon as it fulfills the purpose, we can see many apps like Instagram in near future.
People will start imitating you if you are the market leader. And there is also a possibility that competitors will end up with a better model than you. Recently, we saw how Jio meet replicated video conferencing platform Zoom.
You can find n number of apps like Instagram, but the social media giant will be there. Moreover, it can be a gamechanger with its Reels feature after the Tiktok ban.